How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?pdxrlk11/01/2008 - 12:06

Hi - for some reason my son's profile got splatted (this is on Windows Vista).  I suspect he re-installed the preview on top of the game executable, but that's water under the bridge.

I'd like to back up the profiles, but can't figure out where they are stored.

Can you tell me where they are stored on disk (Vista) and if there is anything I need to do other than copy the files/directory somewhere else as a backup?

Thanks.

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?Aufklaerer11/03/2008 - 18:59

http://2dboy.com/faq.php wrote:
I installed the game on one of my computers and I want to transfer my saved game to another computer, is that possible?

Yes!  All you need to do is copy the saved game file which is named pers2.dat.  On Windows XP, it lives in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo. On Vista the file is located in C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo.  Copy it from one computer into the appropriate location on the other computer and voila!

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?Soultaker11/03/2008 - 19:50

Actually, the FAQ is outdated. Since the latest patch, profile data is at [pre]%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo[/pre] on Windows XP and [pre]%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo[/pre] on Vista, where %USERPROFILE% is usually something like "C:\Documents and Settings\My User Name\".

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?Aufklaerer11/04/2008 - 09:51

Gee, good that you noted that! Otherwise I would have backuped an outdated file.

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?tickbite11/05/2008 - 16:28

So, just out of curiosity, if the profile data is stored somewhere else does the progress get lost after installing the patch?

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?Soultaker11/05/2008 - 20:54

[quote author=tickbite link=topic=669.msg5194#msg5194 date=1225920497]
So, just out of curiosity, if the profile data is stored somewhere else does the progress get lost after installing the patch?
No, the updated version (or maybe the installer) copies the file from the old location, so you shouldn't notice any differences. The old version isn't removed though, so that might be a bit confusing.

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?bfunky11/06/2008 - 04:19

Hi everyone, I copied my saved profile from a mac to a pc and that doesn't seem
to work, is that normal ?

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?Soultaker11/06/2008 - 08:18

That's normal; they're incompatible. I think only the encryption is different, so in theory you could convert the file from one platform to the other, but there is no easy tool for it yet.

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?bfunky11/06/2008 - 08:24

Thanks. Where can I get info about the encryption method ?
If I find myself some free time I may just look into that.

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?Soultaker11/06/2008 - 08:41

All the necessary info is in the encryption/decryption thread.

Re: How can I back up user profiles? Where are they stored?davidc02/09/2009 - 22:00

GooTool 0.10.2 has a profile backup/restore function that can be used to easily move profiles between machines (including between Windows, Mac and Linux)

http://goofans.com/gootool