No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)bitbot.cc11/02/2008 - 00:15

I just purchased Goo, and there seems to be an issue regarding multichannel audio devices.

If I set "Sound Output" in System Prefs to "Internal Speakers", I can hear sound play out of my Macbook (which is usually closed and under my desk).  If I set it to my actual soundcard (a firewire MOTU Ultralite), there is no audio and I suspect the reason is that Goo's audio is routing to the wrong outputs by default, and there doesn't seem to be any way to tell it to change.

Either that, or the game isn't expecting multiple audio devices (Internal Audio plus some external device) and that is causing a problem somehow.

I don't have this problem on any other game on my Mac (play a few commercial games, and nearly every indie game released for OS X) so I'm hopeful that there might be an easy fix for this problem.  I was so anxious to play that I didn't try the demo first :(

Thanks!

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)matola11/04/2008 - 15:32

Exact same problem here.. Any help ???

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)pinkpanther11/05/2008 - 04:07

Same problem here...  ???

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)pinkpanther11/08/2008 - 16:25

So is it likely that this will get fixed?  :D

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)allan11/10/2008 - 19:44

hey guys,

this was a limitation of our audio library on mac. i was just notified that there is a new version that is supposed to add support for multichannel devices. could one of you give it a try and see if it fixes your problem? here's what you would need to do:

1. open up your world of goo app bundle on your hard drive and navigate to the Contents/Frameworks directory
2. rename the libirrklang.dylib file to _libirrklang.dylib
3. download the new irrklang here: http://www.ambiera.at/downloads/irrKlang-1.1.2b.zip
4. extract the file irrKlang-1.1.2/bin/macosx-gcc/libirrklang.dylib from the archive and put it in the Contents/Frameworks directory in the app bundle.

run the game again with that new libirrklang and see if it fixes the problem. if so, we can start using this new version in our standard distribution. if you want to revert to the old version, just delete that new libirrklang.dylib file from Contents/Frameworks and rename the backup from _libirrklang.dylib back to libirrklang.dylib.

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)bitbot.cc11/12/2008 - 19:09

Yep, with that change it now works perfectly on my multichannel device. :)
I also quickly tested Internal Speakers and that continues to function as well.

Thanks!

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)Litegod11/13/2008 - 19:54

This doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Internal sound card works, external doesn't work.

I'm using the Mac demo version of World of Goo 1.20 with Mac OS X 10.5.5 on a MacBook with an M-Audio Firewire 410 audio card.

I really like the game and I'm planning on buying it, but without sound... I don't know yet!  ::)

Hope you guys can fix this!

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)Hyper11/14/2008 - 13:41

I use a SweeX SC004 USB soundcard... I tried this patch. It still does not work.

When I try to run the tests in the download... it says my device is not support.

This device works in all other applications. Please help so I can buy your game ;\

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)sammydread11/14/2008 - 15:51

i have also tried this patch with no luck on either internal speakers or through my sound card. the game looks great but i cant bare to play it without any sound, and so i eagerly wait for a working solution  :)

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)sammydread11/19/2008 - 15:45

still waiting  ???

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)multiphrenic11/19/2008 - 19:40

This worked on a multichannel external usb soundcard (Audio 8 DJ)! THANKS!

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)sammydread11/23/2008 - 15:06

well it has not worked for me, im running on a G4 quicksilver dual 800 and 10.4.9, there is no sound on internal or multichannel speakers. please help

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)Lars11/26/2008 - 16:57

I'm just popping in to say that the fix didn't work for me either. I still have no sound on my TC Electronic Konnekt 24D multi-channel audio interface.

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)MysteriousPete12/01/2008 - 08:51

Hi,
I got it to work on my MBox 2 Pro by downloading (and patching the package contents as described above) the 1.1.2c version of IrrKlang from the ambiera.at homepage. I didn't have any luck with version 1.1.2b (which is linked above), so maybe this will do the trick for some of you. :)

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)Lars12/09/2008 - 15:33

[quote author=MysteriousPete link=topic=676.msg6625#msg6625 date=1228139475]
I got it to work on my MBox 2 Pro by downloading (and patching the package contents as described above) the 1.1.2c version of IrrKlang from the ambiera.at homepage.

Indeed, this works on my TC Electronic Konnekt 24D, as well. Thanks for the tip!
Link to the file: http://www.ambiera.at/downloads/irrKlang-1.1.2c.zip

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)slab12/10/2008 - 22:19

1.1.2c works for me with a Griffin FireWave in 6ch mode.

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)Litegod12/13/2008 - 19:11

[quote author=slab link=topic=676.msg7129#msg7129 date=1228965584]
1.1.2c works for me with a Griffin FireWave in 6ch mode.

1.1.2c works for me too with the M-Audio Firewire 410 sound card.

Nice! Finally!

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)sammydread12/27/2008 - 19:56

Fandabidozie, it works, thank you so very much for your time  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Re: No Sound on Multichannel Soundcard (OS X)DJFriar04/02/2009 - 01:35

I wanted to add that the 1.1.2c version worked fixed it for me as well. I'm using a Bose Companion 5 system which is 5.1 and USB.