An odd difference I noticed between Wii and Mac versions

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
An odd difference I noticed between Wii and Mac versionsDEFE11/04/2008 - 01:09

When I downloaded the mac demo, I noticed myself having more difficulty getting ocd on Tumbler. When I compared it to the Wii version, I noticed that the level spins faster in the Mac version. I can't really provide videos, but here's my super-scientific analysis. On the Wii version, it took 20.81 seconds for the starting box to roll over twice. On the Mac version it took 15.36 seconds. Odd, huh? I don't really know what anyone will do with this information. I just thought I'd point out this odd discrepancy to everyone. Questions? Comments?
Edit: Oh, if anyone cares, there are 2 other smaller differences I've noted. The sleeping goos in Hang Low seemed to react less to me throwing goos at them in the Mac version. (Does that make sense? You know, you're supposed to throw goo at them to make them bounce up to the starting structure and wake up for ocd.) The other difference is that you can actually see in the liquid at the beginning of Regurgitation Pumping Station in the Mac version. It's solid black on the Wii. Still, that can be chalked up to graphics differences. I dunno, I'm rambling.

Last modified Tue, 11/04/2008 - 01:37 by DEFE
Re: An odd difference I noticed between Wii and Mac versionsmartinarcand111/04/2008 - 02:00

Tumbler moving fast might be because of the processor speed?  donno  ???

You throwing goos might be because of the mouse speed? :P  I've found it easier to throw goos on PC than on my Wii

Re: An odd difference I noticed between Wii and Mac versionsDEFE11/04/2008 - 02:25

I appreciate your input, and I certainly see how mouse speed could apply for bouncing. However, I tried Tumbler on my sister's laptop, which has a slightly faster processor. I got almost the same, and the difference is probably just from me starting and stopping the timer at different times. Thanks for the reply, and I'm interested to see what other people say!

Re: An odd difference I noticed between Wii and Mac versionsThe Happy Friar11/04/2008 - 08:16

it could very well be because on the wii it's a little harder to use the wii remote to do things vs a mouse, so they made some things that are very "picky" in how you do them a little easier on the wii.

Re: An odd difference I noticed between Wii and Mac versionsDEFE11/04/2008 - 18:38

I suppose that could be true. As for the mouse being easier, I would have to disagree with the popular opinion. I found the Wii remote far easier for working with goo. Still, that's just me.

Re: An odd difference I noticed between Wii and Mac versionsSoultaker11/04/2008 - 21:41

I believe in the PC version the simulation is fixed at 50 frames per second regardless of the actual rendering speed. As long as all PCs are fast enough to do that 50 frames per second the game plays equally fast on all PCs.

So yeah, the difference in speed on the Wii is probably also fixed and intentional, not a result of having a slower/faster processor.

Last modified Tue, 11/04/2008 - 21:43 by Soultaker