Mac sound bug

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Mac sound bugHL4M11/05/2008 - 13:04

Hello all,
I am having issues with a sound effect in the full version of WoG. Ever since I unlocked the second world (fall in the game) and more specifically the second level (the one with the pipe in the pit out of star wars) I've been getting this annoying clicking sound that sounds like a cricket on drugs of some kind. I first thought it was just local to the level but it now can be heard in every part of the game, from profile selection to the credits. Dunno if this has been found by other people yet, but any help would be much appreciated.

I am using a PowerBook G4 1.5 GhZ running 10.4.11. I have 64 MB VRAM and 768 MB RAM

Re: Mac sound bugchristianc11/07/2008 - 19:42

I have the exact same problem :-\

iMac G5 (rev a)

Re: Mac sound bugdavidc11/10/2008 - 15:38

I just installed it on an test iBook G4 (10.5.4) and have this from the very first launch of the game (2dboy logo onward). Click click click in the background of all audio, approx 6-10x per second.

Re: Mac sound bugmarriott11/11/2008 - 20:31

Same here.  Powermac G5, dual 2.7.

Happens for me upon launch.  The only time it is quiet is between screens (main screen, one level to the next, etc).

Will buy if this is fixed!

Re: Mac sound bugCochonou12/12/2009 - 08:34

As I wanted to replay WOG on my G4, I also stumbled upon this bug.
What is quite surprising is that I didn't experience this clicking bug one year ago. So I guess something changed in Mac OS X leopard or on my computer. Still, it's quite annoying. :'(

Re: Mac sound bugCochonou12/17/2009 - 02:32

All right, I nailed it down.
World of Goo seems to be incompatible with a playback sample rate of 32 KHz. This is a system wide setting.
Setting it to 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz by using audio and MIDI setup (found in the applications/utilities folder) gets rid of the bug on my G4.

If this also solves the bug for other users, we might want to stick this thread or put it into a FAQ.

Last modified Thu, 12/17/2009 - 02:37 by Cochonou
Re: Mac sound bugBrodie12/23/2009 - 02:26

Fixed it for me. Good work!