AVG Detects Trojan on Installer

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
AVG Detects Trojan on Installerachilleas11/07/2008 - 20:04

AVG Antivirus detects a threat on the WorldOfGoo installer file I downloaded after purchasing. The threat name is listed as: Trojan horse Generic12.HTC

The weirdest part though is this. I bought the game a couple of days ago, installed, player right through it, copied the installer onto another computer for backup and through all this, the antivirus never warned me of any threat. There was an update this morning, but I ran a full scan after that and browsed the folder where I keep the installer as well, which should trigger a threat detection. I don't know why it started acting the way it does. I also "healed" the installer (which deleted it), downloaded it again and it still pops up the good old "Thread Detected" window.

I'm assuming (and hoping) it's a false positive since the AV didn't pick up anything earlier and there were no updates in the meantime. This occurs on two computers so it's probably related to the specific software and not any of the contents of my hard drive.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Re: AVG Detects Trojan on Installerkyle11/07/2008 - 20:28

AVG released an update today which seems to be conflicting with our game. Specifically, the uninstaller component, I think.

If you want to be extra sure, here's some info you can use to double check:

WorldOfGooSetup.1.20.exe
65,238,467 bytes
md5 c68ace4344ef520e824abd3472674ad9

Re: AVG Detects Trojan on Installerachilleas11/07/2008 - 20:44

Thanks for the very fast reply. Good to know it's only a false positive. MD5 is a match.