Any chance of beta-testing the Linux version?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Any chance of beta-testing the Linux version?danderson11/14/2008 - 19:55

Hello gooey folk,

I stupidly left my Macbook at work today, with my purchased World of Goo on it. At home, I have only a Linux system (no, seriously, I don't have Windows), and trying to run the Windows version of the game with Wine ends in epic failure, massive crash trying to initialize Direct3D.

Any chance of beta testing the Linux version? Pretty please? I'm also rather good at causing breakage and diagnosing it, with a debug build I might be able to lend a hand, as well as get my fix of goo.

Please? :)
- Dave

Re: Any chance of beta-testing the Linux version?julemand10111/15/2008 - 03:22

I play the Windows version without any problems in wine. What version of Wine have you? I use 1.1.8.

Do you have install the 3D drivers for you 3D card and what card have you?

Re: Any chance of beta-testing the Linux version?Nicosmos11/15/2008 - 05:19

You can test with PlayOnLinux, a Wine overlay : http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html
It supports very well World of Goo.  ;)

But, it's true, have the ability to test the beta would be really nice ;D

Re: Any chance of beta-testing the Linux version?danderson11/15/2008 - 12:56

[quote author=julemand101 link=topic=797.msg5864#msg5864 date=1226737347]
I play the Windows version without any problems in wine. What version of Wine have you? I use 1.1.8.

Do you have install the 3D drivers for you 3D card and what card have you?

Looks like Ubuntu Intrepid has only 1.0.1. I'll upgrade wine and see what happens.

As for the 3d board, I already have the latest nvidia drivers installed. Acceleration does work, as confirmed by playing a little unreal tournament 2004 at max settings :P

As for PlayOnLinux, it's a neat piece of software, but still relies on the system Wine installation to function. So, same result as launching WoG manually: error about D3D device initialization, followed by an epic crash.

Re: Any chance of beta-testing the Linux version?danderson11/15/2008 - 13:13

Well, with the latest Wine, it seems to boot. However, I've found a bug! (See why I think I'd be good at beta-testing the linux version? I break stuff, it's what I do :) )

World of Goo tries to start full screen. However, I use nVidia TwinView, so have a desktop that spans two screens. It seems that D3D takes the Xinerama hints and fullscreens to a single screen (which is what I want), but World of Goo miscalculates the correct resolution, and starts rendering assuming that it is spanning both screens. As a result, I can only see half the screen horizontally, the other half spills off the edge of the screen.

So, again: any chance of letting me help you break the linux version? Just with my Twinview setup I'm sure I can set off a few bugs in the video initialization routines (I do so for every single game I play).