[Mac] Not working with multiple sound devices

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
[Mac] Not working with multiple sound devicesslab12/06/2008 - 14:12

World of Goo 1.30, Mac.

I have a Griffin FireWave (a FireWire-connected sound card for doing 5.1-channel audio output). This device is the one set as the default sound output device in Sound Preferences. Whenever I play World of Goo with this device as the default, I get no sound output through the FireWave nor through the built-in speaker jack.

If I set the default sound output device to "Internal Speakers" or "Headphones" (the setting changes if something's plugged into the jack) then I get normal sound device through my Mac mini's built-in speaker or through connected headphones.

Looks like World of Goo is trying to open only the first audio device (and not respecting the 'default sound device' setting) and if it fails, no sound?

Re: [Mac] Not working with multiple sound devicesslab12/06/2008 - 16:45

after some more digging, I noticed the following in Console.app;

[0x0-0x820820].com.2dboy.wog[84147]  Warning: unusual outputdata (buffers:1, channels:6)

Looks like it has trouble with 6-channel (5.1) setups. If I set the output to be '2ch-24bit' instead of '6ch-24bit' I get sound in World of Goo via the FireWave.

Sad, though, that it can't at least do something reasonable on 6ch.

Re: [Mac] Not working with multiple sound devicesjoerg.battermann12/26/2008 - 22:11

Well I have a similiar problem.. got a macPro with the built-in sound-device, a webcam with built in soundin/out and the actual sound-device I am using is an external usb one.... and I do NOT have any sound playing World of Goo :(

Any plans to fix this to use the system's default sound-out device?

Cheers,
-J

ps: awesome game nevertheless.. purchased it right away :)