World of Goo: Tower Structure Tips

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
World of Goo: Tower Structure TipsGameWay Studios12/13/2008 - 00:13

If you can think of any good tower-building tips (mostly for Corp.) post 'em!

Okay, I'll start...

Try to create a good, firm base.

Re: World of Goo: Tower Structure Tipsche-goovara12/16/2008 - 21:15

Triangles are very stable  ;)

Re: World of Goo: Tower Structure Tipsdavidc12/16/2008 - 21:25

Hexagons tend to collapse

:P

Re: World of Goo: Tower Structure Tipsth_inker04/13/2009 - 20:53

Has anyone tried building in suspension cables to support a thinner tower? I was thinking about it on the bus this morning and will test it later.... =D

Essentially build a lattice structure and then remove enough filler to leave just single strand supports....

Re: World of Goo: Tower Structure TipsStickybomb6704/14/2009 - 16:11

I'm probably using the wrong technique; whenever I try what th_inker suggested, it always falls the wrong way.
(ahem) Here's my tip!
Build up the sides and take balls out of the middle when you're out.

Re: World of Goo: Tower Structure Tipsvonboy04/15/2009 - 06:06

tip; i ussualy build a small seperate triangle to the side of the main structure to put the idle goos on so the little buggers can't get in my freaking way.

Re: World of Goo: Tower Structure TipsTheHermit04/15/2009 - 12:07

[quote author=vonboy link=topic=1033.msg11673#msg11673 date=1239793589]
tip; i ussualy build a small seperate triangle to the side of the main structure to put the idle goos on so the little buggers can't get in my freaking way.

...or as a variation: When your tower collapses, break a piece off and keep it away from the fallen structure as you build anew. The Goos will leave you alone and it's much easier to tell if your tower is starting to lean.

Don't let Goo run around your tower, PARTICULARLY AT THE TOP! They upset the stability of even the straightest structure by moving around.

When picking out goos from the bottom leave a thin line connecting your towers "feet". If you don't, they slowly slide outwards and your tower collapses in the middle.

You CAN make holes in your structure, just make sure they have strong edges...

Re: World of Goo: Tower Structure TipsMattOG04/15/2009 - 12:30

Stretched goo doesn't sway as much....

Those long vertical lines you see on the top ten towers picture are an example.

Lean your tower over to connect the outer bits, then remove the goos you added to make it lean. Oh yeah, and don't forget to counter-balance the base... or it'll all go south.