Unpleasant levels

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Unpleasant levelsjrodman12/19/2008 - 23:57

3rd wheel: too hard to get skulls connected fast enough where they need to go on the spikey wheel.

Alice & Bob - losing red guys while not even knowing what I'm doing, irritating. 

Server Farm - It's already annoying trying to balance stuff with the goos going wherever they feel like.  This level just exercises that bad mechanic.

Re: Unpleasant levelsDEFE12/20/2008 - 03:51

Really? I loved 3rd wheel and server farm. I found Server Farm very challenging, but that's part of its appeal. It's nice to have a level that continues to provide some challenge. And I've personally never randomly lost reds in Alice & Bob. I've randomly lost some greens though. They fall down occasionally before I build blocks up to stop them.

Re: Unpleasant levelsThe Happy Friar12/20/2008 - 08:02

I thought the last level was the only annoying one because there was no challenge.  :)

Re: Unpleasant levelsdrkickles12/20/2008 - 10:36

[quote author=jrodman link=topic=1081.msg7510#msg7510 date=1229749029]
3rd wheel: too hard to get skulls connected fast enough where they need to go on the spikey wheel.

Alice & Bob - losing red guys while not even knowing what I'm doing, irritating. 

Server Farm - It's already annoying trying to balance stuff with the goos going wherever they feel like.  This level just exercises that bad mechanic.

You just named three of my favorite levels! 

If you have trouble with losing goos on Alice and Bob without realizing how, just take some time to watch what's happening around you.  It's not a difficult level at all...one of the few I got OCD on the first time through!

I can't say I dislike any levels, though I admit I was stuck on that Recycle Bin one for an embarrassing amount of time. :-)

Re: Unpleasant levelsNic Freed12/20/2008 - 13:54

i think what you mean by unpleasant is "challenging".  i happen to enjoy those levels just as much as all of the others (which are all awesome). practice those levels and eventually you will enjoy them. the go you are speaking of is what i call an "acquired taste"  ;)

Re: Unpleasant levelsDEFE12/20/2008 - 20:45

[quote author=The Happy Friar link=topic=1081.msg7514#msg7514 date=1229778174]
I thought the last level was the only annoying one because there was no challenge.  :)

I personally thought that the simplicity of that level was great to wrap up the game. We had our challenges from the previous couple levels, then were rewarded with a nice, relaxing level. The fish were pretty dang cool too, as was the ending cutscene.

Re: Unpleasant levelsThe Happy Friar12/21/2008 - 00:12

but there wasn't ANY challenge, like making a line of fish or something.  It was just putting the fish to the scope/island, nothing more.  I realize the previous three were extremely hard but the last level had 0 challenge. 

Re: Unpleasant levelsChrille12/21/2008 - 09:25

The last level is the gift for the last 3 challenges. It was very nice to have a look on the end. Sure.. the last 3 levels makes me crazy but I make it!
Notation to the Levels 3rd wheel and so on.. I think you didnt play enough with the physik engine =) There was very funny to play.. exspecially the server farm.. very good :D

Grtz Chrille

Re: Unpleasant levelsjrodman12/21/2008 - 23:09

The issue isn't the challenge.

For example, on third wheel, just grabbing the skull and putting it in place with the trackpad on my laptop before the structure hits the spikes was not an exercise of skill.  It was an exercise of frustration.  I knew exactly where I wanted the bugger to go, but the interface, and the time window were just too short to do it.

Retrying the level a lot to hope i managed to drop the thing in the right place fast enough is only a challenge of endurance, not 'skill'.  Maybe with a fancy pants mouse you might be snappier at getting them goos into place, but you might have noticed WoG is at its best in the "figuring stuff out, how to best accomplish this" mode, and not when it's "click really fast as you can".

Sure there was the speed challenge fuse level, and that's fine.  In order to try to get the OCD challenge you have to be very fast.  But mostly the game supports more relaxed play, with a few exceptions.  I've identified those weak spots.

There were plenty of times where I tippy difficult to manage structures, like the thing you build on the rolling chain of goos, or the level where you build up both sides to meet in the middle with match-goos.  That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm identifying points in the game where you are likely to have to retry many times and where the undo and speed functions in the game are insufficient to provide a pleasant experience, unless you love starting over and over.  Some people don't mind, but the flaws remain.

Re: Unpleasant levelsamlabella12/22/2008 - 00:49

I enjoyed all three of those levels. They were somewhat challenging but I didn't have too much trouble with them. The only two levels that I found a little frustrating were You Have To Explode the Head and Incineration Destination (both Ch 3).

Re: Unpleasant levelsTomi12/23/2008 - 05:44

HI!

I can't do the level "fly away little ones" (chapter2/2) :( . I know it has a secret but I didn't find it yet. Help me please!

Re: Unpleasant levelsherminator12/23/2008 - 08:43

[quote author=jrodman link=topic=1081.msg7588#msg7588 date=1229918977]
The issue isn't the challenge.

For example, on third wheel, just grabbing the skull and putting it in place with the trackpad on my laptop before the structure hits the spikes was not an exercise of skill.  It was an exercise of frustration.   I knew exactly where I wanted the bugger to go, but the interface, and the time window were just too short to do it.

So put the skull in the correct place before attaching the yellow goo to the spiked wheel ;)

Quote:

Retrying the level a lot to hope i managed to drop the thing in the right place fast enough is only a challenge of endurance, not 'skill'.  Maybe with a fancy pants mouse you might be snappier at getting them goos into place, but you might have noticed WoG is at its best in the "figuring stuff out, how to best accomplish this" mode, and not when it's "click really fast as you can".

Yes, I agree, this is the most attractive part of the game for me, and the reason I'm not really a fan of OCDs that require you to finish inside X seconds.

Quote:

Sure there was the speed challenge fuse level, and that's fine.  In order to try to get the OCD challenge you have to be very fast.  But mostly the game supports more relaxed play, with a few exceptions.  I've identified those weak spots.

There is a way to let the fuse burn out and then start building your tower, but it does require some speed to accomplish, so is probably still hard with the trackpad.

Also, once you figure out how, server farm is one of the easiest levels there is, though again it requires some speed. (See: http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,948.msg6756.html)

Quote:

There were plenty of times where I tippy difficult to manage structures, like the thing you build on the rolling chain of goos, or the level where you build up both sides to meet in the middle with match-goos.  That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm identifying points in the game where you are likely to have to retry many times and where the undo and speed functions in the game are insufficient to provide a pleasant experience, unless you love starting over and over.  Some people don't mind, but the flaws remain.

Re: Unpleasant levelsherminator12/23/2008 - 08:46

[quote author=Tomi link=topic=1081.msg7654#msg7654 date=1230029069]
HI!

I can't do the level "fly away little ones" (chapter2/2) :( . I know it has a secret but I didn't find it yet. Help me please!

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBX9g5lU8ok

Just a few seconds of watching should show you the secret :-)

Re: Unpleasant levelsTomi12/23/2008 - 09:42

OMg Thank you very much

Re: Unpleasant levelsGooGun12/24/2008 - 09:01

Here are my personal non-favo(u)rites:

-Upper Shaft, couldn't get the bomb to blow the blasted walls.
-Misty's Long Bony Road, it's too hard to do with only four Bone Goo.
-Incineration Destination, I managed to do it at my cousin's home, but I can't now.

In my opinion, World 3 has been the hardest as of now.

Re: Unpleasant levelsherminator12/25/2008 - 07:32

[quote author=GooGun link=topic=1081.msg7744#msg7744 date=1230127302]

Really? It doesn't even have to be very close to succeed at that, it'll work even if you've put it a bit too far up or down.

Quote:

There is a neat trick on this one ;) (which is why the best scores get over 50 goo)

Quote:

-Incineration Destination, I managed to do it at my cousin's home, but I can't now.

Wait till you get to World 5 ;)

Re: Unpleasant levelsBotulino12/27/2008 - 05:58

Just remember that the skulls are detachable like Ivies and the walls to destroy are the grey ones below!!

Re: Unpleasant levelsSeeker12/28/2008 - 14:38

I hate only 1 level - bulletin board system.
It is highly dependent on luck, because direction or launch is randomized.
It is the only level, where I don't have OCD.

Re: Unpleasant levelsDEFE12/28/2008 - 16:48

[quote author=Seeker link=topic=1081.msg7934#msg7934 date=1230493098]

That one has been giving me trouble too. One of just a couple that I haven't got ocd on. Although I'm not sure what you mean about randomized direction and launch.

Re: Unpleasant levelsMaryvanderworp12/30/2008 - 08:17

Exactly! upper shaft I totally don't get....so annoying!how does one ever get that bomb to blow??

Re: Unpleasant levelsGil12/30/2008 - 09:46

[quote author=Seeker link=topic=1081.msg7934#msg7934 date=1230493098]

Try shooting them from the middle of the right edge (not the corner!) to exactly the same location every time.
To get an absolute location to aim at, you need to scroll the screen to top left and shoot at full power.

Re: Unpleasant levelsboogaooga01/04/2009 - 01:02

If the bomb is even with the walls, it will always blow them, in my experience. It can even be a little above, like one goo worth of perfectly even, even if you consider the bouncing. Of course you know how to make the chain above the bomb longer, right? I can't think of another reason why this level would cause trouble.

Quote:

I thought so at first, too, but you don't actually need to save the structure itself, just the free goos. So after the goos have gone well past the first couple bone goos, you can release them, let the back of the structure get spiked, and continue on.

Quote:

For me the Epilogue is by far the hardest. I know "how" to do them, but actually doing them is really tricky.