3 easy suggestions based on the preview

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
3 easy suggestions based on the previewMischief Maker04/21/2008 - 11:47

1. Different player profiles.  Instead of making me wipe all my progress to share this computer with another player, let us make multiple profiles with different high scores.  You can even have different profiles on the same machine compete against each other on the metagame.

2. Let the player suck up extra balloon goo balls.  If I can beat the level without using them all, shouldn't I be rewarded for that?

3. Level Medals: Right now, replaying a level where you have maxxed out the number of gooballs is an incredibly anticlimactic experience.  I suggest adding medals to a stage (Bronze is the current default goal) so that if you at least make a bronze, you get a congratulation noise and the continue lever.  Even if you don't beat a previous high score, at least there will be some feeling of accomplishment from trying and coming close.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewDil99904/21/2008 - 15:47

1.  It's planned that you will be able ot have multiple profiles.
2.  I agree.
3.  Interesting idea, I think it would work well and make it possible for better players to be challenged to get gold, while beginners can aim for bronze.  Maybe you could unlock hidden levels by doing something like "earn 10 gold medals, 20 bronze medals, etc."

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewThe Happy Friar04/21/2008 - 21:03

I don't get #2.  You can suck up any goo that's not built in a structure.

I already get a great feeling when I grab a few extra balls on a level.  It's like "wow, didn't even try that before!" & I grab an extra couple.  Then I put them on my tower.  :)

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewDil99904/21/2008 - 21:15

#2 refers to Balloons, which currently do not get sucked up by pipes.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewSqrl04/22/2008 - 05:18

I'm with you on #1 and #2 but I don't think #3 fits quite as well.  I think the generalized concept should be implemented but not medals per se.  Something that fits the style of the game a bit better.  Even if its something simple like a goo rating of 1 to 5 gooballs and if you get the absolute maximum then you get 5 golden goos!  Thats just a rough idea but something like that, then you could have your golden goos rolling around somewhere in the level whenever you play it again or maybe find a use for them in WoG HQ area where they might serve a special purpose to help build taller towers etc.. (ie max'ing a level would convert 5 goos from black to gold, and have gold be better for tower building in some way). 

Ok now I'm just rambling but you get the idea, I would love to hear what some of you folks can come up with on top of my mad ramblings lol

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewBallisticsfood04/22/2008 - 11:34

Mmmm... Golden goo makes you look shiny!

Not sure whether getting another bonus to the tower for rescuing lots of balls (which is a bonus in itself) has much point though... Although you could always have the pleasure of boasting about the fact that your tower is made of all golden balls. As for medals... I am not a huge fan of medals. Nor am I a huge fan of arbitrary measures of success, such as time trials. Which is why I love the WoGCo concept so much, the number of gooballs does NOT define your success on the leaderbard, it merely facilitates it.

Anyway, I digress. I'm not sure whether rescuing balloons makes much sense wither, because I know for a fact that on  Going Up it would be possible to rescue every single balloon, as the cube thing sticks to the pipe just long enough to rip off the balloons, and the same thing applies for Fistys Bog. Making balloons rescuable would make it too easy on some levels, tantamount to the green's sticking to pipe ability. Once you reach the pipe, you would be able to rescue every gooball, regardless of how many balloons you needed to support your structure to begin with.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewThe Happy Friar04/22/2008 - 11:46

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=111.msg836#msg836 date=1208830509]
#2 refers to Balloons, which currently do not get sucked up by pipes.

oh. my bad. :) 

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=111.msg842#msg842 date=1208882051]
Making balloons rescuable would make it too easy on some levels, tantamount to the green's sticking to pipe ability.

i think you can do that with all goo's.  If you use green goo's to build the main structure & a black at the end, you can take the green's apart right below the base & it will hold the black up.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewSqrl04/24/2008 - 06:20

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=111.msg842#msg842 date=1208882051]
Mmmm... Golden goo makes you look shiny!

Not sure whether getting another bonus to the tower for rescuing lots of balls (which is a bonus in itself) has much point though... Although you could always have the pleasure of boasting about the fact that your tower is made of all golden balls. As for medals... I am not a huge fan of medals. Nor am I a huge fan of arbitrary measures of success, such as time trials. Which is why I love the WoGCo concept so much, the number of gooballs does NOT define your success on the leaderbard, it merely facilitates it.

Anyway, I digress. I'm not sure whether rescuing balloons makes much sense wither, because I know for a fact that on  Going Up it would be possible to rescue every single balloon, as the cube thing sticks to the pipe just long enough to rip off the balloons, and the same thing applies for Fistys Bog. Making balloons rescuable would make it too easy on some levels, tantamount to the green's sticking to pipe ability. Once you reach the pipe, you would be able to rescue every gooball, regardless of how many balloons you needed to support your structure to begin with.

I think I've got it!!

Golden goos are like their brethren in WoGC except one difference!  Golden goos are not counted in the sway factor for goos climbing on a tower.  That fits so perfectly because it is a solution to two problems =) For the folks who were getting frustrated by having to build an extra tower and asking for a bucket this would help alleviate the problem since you would just use the golden goos last and getting rid of those sway-causing goos first.  At the same time its a helpful addition that doesn't unbalance the mode (since you can already get the same effect with a little effort) and it provides synergistic incentive for WoGC in the fact that maxing a level is an even more appealing prospect for WoGC junkies.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewCarp04/24/2008 - 19:40

[quote author=Sqrl link=topic=111.msg865#msg865 date=1209036026]
I think I've got it!!

Golden goos are like their brethren in WoGC except one difference!  Golden goos are not counted in the sway factor for goos climbing on a tower.  That fits so perfectly because it is a solution to two problems =) For the folks who were getting frustrated by having to build an extra tower and asking for a bucket this would help alleviate the problem since you would just use the golden goos last and getting rid of those sway-causing goos first.  At the same time its a helpful addition that doesn't unbalance the mode (since you can already get the same effect with a little effort) and it provides synergistic incentive for WoGC in the fact that maxing a level is an even more appealing prospect for WoGC junkies.

As I understand it, the tower's swaying comes from the goo's springiness, so the only way for golden goos to be "non-sway-causing" would be for them to be rigid...and I think that variety is already fairly certain to make it into the game. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here(Indeed, as always.))

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewBallisticsfood04/25/2008 - 06:33

[quote author=Carp link=topic=111.msg873#msg873 date=1209084026]

As I understand it, the tower's swaying comes from the goo's springiness, so the only way for golden goos to be "non-sway-causing" would be for them to be rigid...and I think that variety is already fairly certain to make it into the game. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here(Indeed, as always.))

They could act as motion dampeners, slowing down any potential collapses long enough for you to sort the problem. Or they could have a slight amount of lift, almost like balloons, but not quite...

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewSqrl04/25/2008 - 15:07

Actually I more meant that they just weren't counted when it came to determining the sway, but other than that they would be just like the other goos.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewBallisticsfood04/25/2008 - 17:44

[quote author=Sqrl link=topic=111.msg878#msg878 date=1209154042]

Actually I more meant that they just weren't counted when it came to determining the sway, but other than that they would be just like the other goos.

But far more prettyful, I hope.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewCarp04/25/2008 - 18:49

What I'm getting at is that there isn't a specific procedure for calculating the sway, it arises naturally from the springiness of the connections...in order to "not be counted when determining the sway", a way to determine the sway independent of, say, supporting the goos above and below would have to be devised, and the reverse implemented.

If there are going to be some sort of special goo for WoG Corp., I'd want rigid goo, that aren't springy at all, and stay exactly where you put them.(Besides falling over, but even then as a rigid body.) I think that kind is already slated to appear in the game, so I'll leave the question of its naming up to 2D Boy.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewSqrl04/25/2008 - 22:17

[quote author=Carp link=topic=111.msg882#msg882 date=1209167381]

What I'm getting at is that there isn't a specific procedure for calculating the sway, it arises naturally from the springiness of the connections...in order to "not be counted when determining the sway", a way to determine the sway independent of, say, supporting the goos above and below would have to be devised, and the reverse implemented.

If there are going to be some sort of special goo for WoG Corp., I'd want rigid goo, that aren't springy at all, and stay exactly where you put them.(Besides falling over, but even then as a rigid body.) I think that kind is already slated to appear in the game, so I'll leave the question of its naming up to 2D Boy.

Out of curiosity how do you know how its calculated...do you knowor just speculating?  At some point the program looks a the weight of the goo and determines how it and its position on the structure effects the sway...in my mind it would be as simple as ignoring that goo in that type of setup.  But it really does depend on how they calculate it.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewCarp04/26/2008 - 18:46

[quote author=Sqrl link=topic=111.msg883#msg883 date=1209179843]

Out of curiosity how do you know how its calculated...do you knowor just speculating?  At some point the program looks a the weight of the goo and determines how it and its position on the structure effects the sway...in my mind it would be as simple as ignoring that goo in that type of setup.  But it really does depend on how they calculate it.

Waaait...you're talking about free-roaming goo that hasn't been connected to the tower, but is climbing on it, aren't you? In which case, yeah, it should be fairly easy to discount their weight. I still like my idea better, but weightless-while-climbing/gold makes sense now.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewt104/26/2008 - 18:52

If you take the view that it's all just a big physics simulation - a goo tower basically acts like a huge spring standing vertically, the weight acting on the tower due to amassed goo and the movement of goo balls across it cause the tower to sway backwards and forwards like a metronome; then there could be a few practical ways of stopping or reducing the 'sway' of a structure.

[li]· A rigid structure, as Carp suggests - a definite possibility for a distinct species of goo ball that creates rigid connections[/li]
    [li]· Goo balls that have no or very little mass - this would lead to a similar situation as rigid connections, as the force of connections would completely overpower the weight of the goo in the structure[/li]
    [li]· Goo balls that have a certain air-resistance, or invisible connection to the stationary environment around them - this would lend itself more to the situation I think you're describing Sqrl, as this would have an effect on other types of goo in the tower too[/li]

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewCarp04/26/2008 - 21:51

Little or no mass could be problematic...things with ridiculously too little mass tend to go shooting off ridiculously quickly. (I leaned this trying to cobble together a zero-G mod for Cortex Command.)
As for the connection to where they were placed...eh, feels insufficiently graceful. What if you ripped out all the support? Does the structure hang in midair? Some sort of air resistance might work.
In fact, if they do air resistance, they could probably also do wind...*strokes beard*

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewSqrl04/26/2008 - 23:43

[quote author=Carp link=topic=111.msg892#msg892 date=1209264700]
Little or no mass could be problematic...things with ridiculously too little mass tend to go shooting off ridiculously quickly. (I leaned this trying to cobble together a zero-G mod for Cortex Command.)
As for the connection to where they were placed...eh, feels insufficiently graceful. What if you ripped out all the support? Does the structure hang in midair? Some sort of air resistance might work.
In fact, if they do air resistance, they could probably also do wind...*strokes beard*

Thats just it, I'm not saying no mass, I'm saying they are ignored for the sway calculation. 

The reason I went that path was actually intentional and well-thought out (aka it made sense to me anyways).  If the gold goos have air resistance or an anchor to their environment like T1 suggested it would likely mean that maxing out a level with 40 or so goos would be enough to stop the problem and make building a tower very easy.  I didn't want a special type of rigid goo because the whole idea of WoGC seems (to me at least) to be that everyone builds with the same types of goo.  Both of those solutions change the way the towers react to the environment (as opposed to changing how the goos effect the tower), and I wanted to avoid that.

The reason I did choose the idea of ignoring their weight for the sway was because people are currently building secondary towers to hold all of their extra goo and bypassing the sway problem that way, so they are getting around the sway issue anyways (note that negating the sway is different from an anchoring effect and/or rigid tower).  So really what I was going for was a way to make it so tower builders (who already want to maximize each level to get the most goo possible) also can earn the added benefit that they don't have to worry much about the secondary tower.  The idea was not for it to be a powerful addition, just something that was helpful without giving an unfair advantage over other tower builders without it.

Thats not to say I hate your ideas, only that I had sort of put a lot of thought into the reasons why it should be that way.  If they want to make it something more than that (assuming they even want to do this type of thing at all) then I actually like both of your ideas quite a bit...it just wasn't what I was going for.

In short I was trying to complement the existing mode without trying to change it too much...it just seems more likely it will be considered (if they read these at all :D).

Last modified Sat, 04/26/2008 - 23:52 by Sqrl
Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewBallisticsfood04/27/2008 - 06:12

[quote author=Sqrl link=topic=111.msg894#msg894 date=1209271417]
The reason I did choose the idea of ignoring their weight for the sway was because people are currently building secondary towers to hold all of their extra goo and bypassing the sway problem that way, so they are getting around the sway issue anyways (note that negating the sway is different from an anchoring effect and/or rigid tower).

So when you say the gold gooballs don't add to the sway, you mean that when they aren't built into a structure they don't pull the tower over as they move around it, right?

If thats what you meant, then the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewSqrl04/27/2008 - 17:58

[quote author=Ballisticsfood link=topic=111.msg898#msg898 date=1209294749]
[quote author=Sqrl link=topic=111.msg894#msg894 date=1209271417]
The reason I did choose the idea of ignoring their weight for the sway was because people are currently building secondary towers to hold all of their extra goo and bypassing the sway problem that way, so they are getting around the sway issue anyways (note that negating the sway is different from an anchoring effect and/or rigid tower).

So when you say the gold gooballs don't add to the sway, you mean that when they aren't built into a structure they don't pull the tower over as they move around it, right?

If thats what you meant, then the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

You got it =)

I think the miscommunication was that I stopped thinking of it as goo once it was part of the tower, where as I think some of you were thinking more along the lines of "once a goo always a goo".  I can kind of see merit in both lines of thinking so maybe we should just establish terminology for discussion.  Ultimately it doesn't matter what we call it, just so long as folks know what you're talking about.

Goo not affixed to the tower = ?
Goo affixed to the tower = ?

I would suggest:

Goo not affixed to the tower = gooball

since they are only round when in this form this makes sense, but not sure what to call the other one.

Last modified Sun, 04/27/2008 - 18:05 by Sqrl
Re: 3 easy suggestions based on the previewCarp04/27/2008 - 20:01

[quote author=Sqrl link=topic=111.msg900#msg900 date=1209337117]
You got it =)

I think the miscommunication was that I stopped thinking of it as goo once it was part of the tower, where as I think some of you were thinking more along the lines of "once a goo always a goo".  I can kind of see merit in both lines of thinking so maybe we should just establish terminology for discussion.  Ultimately it doesn't matter what we call it, just so long as folks know what you're talking about.

Goo not affixed to the tower = ?
Goo affixed to the tower = ?

I would suggest:

Goo not affixed to the tower = gooball

since they are only round when in this form this makes sense, but not sure what to call the other one.

For the sake of harmony: Ron & Kyle, you have any terminology established?
And while I (hopefully) have your attention...do the connections between goo have weight, or just the balls(that have been connected), or both?