The Worst Thing About Goo

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
The Worst Thing About GooElipsis12/23/2008 - 14:11

Someone let me know if this is by design... otherwise I'll keep going on for awhile.

I can't stand the way goos will sometimes refuse to build in certain configurations because too many other options are available.  I'd post a screenshot but I think most of you are familiar with the issue.  Sometimes they really really want to make a strut between 2 existing points and I'm screaming at the goo "No, not THERE... make a new joint between the one and that OTHER one that you're ignoring."  Of course to make things worse the tower is swaying and one or two pixels in either direction changes which build option your goo is going to do... but trying to get it to choose the one you want when there are, say, 3 positions available, is an exercise in frustration.  It requires both zen mastery and ridiculous timing, and even then as you let off the mouse button the goo can change its mind.

Here is my suggestion, which probably would be very simple to implement, programmatically speaking:

[=red]RIGHT CLICK (while holding left click)

What would right click do?  Right click would cycle through the goo build options when more than one were available, giving the user more control over that rambunctious goo.

Last modified Tue, 12/23/2008 - 15:39 by Elipsis
Re: The Worst Thing About GooDEFE12/24/2008 - 02:05

Yes, I think we all have faced some trouble from this one, although I personally have never been significantly hindered by it.

Re: The Worst Thing About GooThe Happy Friar12/24/2008 - 16:45

part of the challange.  if you didn't have to wade through goos & wait them out, it would be a pathetically easy game.

Re: The Worst Thing About Goojrodman12/25/2008 - 06:34

I view it as a tradeoff made in favor of simplicity and away from precision.  The simplicity is good, and the lack of precision is often not a big deal.

If you play for OCD the lack of precision is kinda janky, though.  Oh well.

The simplicity as a guiding principle really makes the game shine.

Re: The Worst Thing About Goomariomguy12/30/2008 - 10:26

It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's annoying. Most of the time it only happens if you're not building correctly. The goo balls do stretch a little from their original positions so you don't have to be 100% accurate when you place them.

Re: The Worst Thing About GooTomislav01/21/2009 - 06:53

It makes the game more harder! You'd be flying through the levels if it was by your choice!

Re: The Worst Thing About GooBioran2301/22/2009 - 06:15

The only "horrible" thing which irritates me is that Goo Balls always run above the goo which I want to remove. But that's unavoidable in these types of games.

Re: The Worst Thing About Gooluiginator01/26/2009 - 02:38

Oooh yeah, that happens to me all the time and I hate it >:(. I like your suggestion.

Re: The Worst Thing About GooKJK01/26/2009 - 19:06

[quote author=Bioran23 link=topic=1110.msg8961#msg8961 date=1232622901]
The only "horrible" thing which irritates me is that Goo Balls always run above the goo which I want to remove. But that's unavoidable in these types of games.

How about "one button grabs only unattached gooballs", and "another button grabs only attached gooballs"?  On my Wii, for example, the A button would grab an ambulating gooball and would never grab a gooball that is part of the tower structure, while the B button would grab only gooballs that are part of a structure and would never grab an ambulating gooball.  This would solve the problem described by Bioran23, above.  Perhaps this mode could be selected in a "Preferences" panel.

If I can't have that, how about an "undo last action" available in the World Of Goo tower building stage?  I've toppled more than a dozen towers just because I was trying to grab a roaming gooball and grabbed a major structural component of the tower by mistake, with catastrophic results. 

I really don't mind at all if the tower falls because I miscalculate the load, or because I try a structure that just doesn't work well, but when it falls because I pulled out a structural piece while trying to grab a roaming gooball... that drives me INSANE.

Does that happen to anyone else?  Does anyone else find it as frustrating as I do?

Last modified Mon, 01/26/2009 - 19:07 by KJK
Re: The Worst Thing About GooBK_moto01/29/2009 - 18:05

I also consider it part of the challenge otherwise it would be MUCH more simple.

Re: The Worst Thing About Goodawning02/17/2009 - 04:41

To be fair, I'm not really trying to understand your suggested in full detail and I've only played the demo. But it sounds like you may be suggesting adding some game-play complexity.... And well I personally am fine with that, I think that could take something away. I love the trivial controls of this game a ton. I can get my Dad (who has a hard time wielding a mouse) to play this game. So making a right-click menu could cause some issues for users there. I guess if the game manages to introduce this control gracefully enough then it's all good..

I'd suggest considering using a radial style menu - like that used in second life - they're just so snazzy!

Re: The Worst Thing About GooMattOG02/17/2009 - 08:41

I have the other way around, I'm building fast with ivy goos, or on the corp, and suddenly i've removed a vital part of the structure. Funny, cos when I actually WANT that, all I get is walking goos...

tbh though, it teaches you to pay attention and be more accurate.

I like it as it is. Good suggestions, but the difficulty level would plummet.