Please fix file permissions for non-Administrators

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Please fix file permissions for non-Administratorssetbit02/03/2009 - 17:07

I'm not sure whether this problem has been "fixed" in that certain files in C:\Program Files\WorldOfGoo are now (sometimes) given the necessary write/modify permissions.  But the real problem is that these files either need to be read-only or need to be in the proper user directories.

See the last few posts in this topic: http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,941.0.html

Please REALLY fix this problem (and, ideally, offer an apology).  The fact that paying customers like me should heave to spend their meager recreation time debugging this and writing posts just so other users don't have to waste even more time is incredibly lame.

Re: Please fix file permissions for non-AdministratorsThe Happy Friar02/08/2009 - 08:44

the REAL problem is MS's security setup.  MS has a crappy setup for non-admin & admin users & everything has this problem, from WoG to high end software.

Not sure why there's any reason to not use an admin user on a winpc anyway, unless you want a user that can't do anything except simple tasks (browse web, type document).  A sys admin (who would setup multi-user access) can password & lock out admin's from certain aspects of Windows, or they would run 3rd party software to limit user access.  It's not like linux where root owns everything, each admin in windows can lock out other admins from anything & vice versa.

But like you said, it could be because you didn't clear out the demo first.

Re: Please fix file permissions for non-AdministratorsThe Happy Friar02/08/2009 - 18:36

In Vista is there anything like symbolic links used in *nix machines?  If so that would solve this problem (problem: windows only allows software to be installed once per machine so it needs a set space.  Even if you setup it to use the user's doc directory it's still not allowed to modify anything in prog files AND the user needs permission to edit their user doc's directory, which on my wife's Vista PC, it doesn't do that for for non-admin users w/o modifying settings.  Symlinks would solve the problem because you could symlink the entire install to a specific user's account where they can wrote & there would be no issues)

Re: Please fix file permissions for non-Administratorsspazturtle02/11/2009 - 17:38

Hi i sent a email to microsft and they said that the perpose of a non sys admin is to use inbuilt functions not 3rd party apps so this is not a problem with wog but a problem with how you are using windows

Re: Please fix file permissions for non-AdministratorsTheOldMan02/20/2009 - 02:52

[quote author=setbit link=topic=1400.msg9357#msg9357 date=1233698870]
I'm not sure whether this problem has been "fixed" in that certain files in C:\Program Files\WorldOfGoo are now (sometimes) given the necessary write/modify permissions.  But the real problem is that these files either need to be read-only or need to be in the proper user directories.

See the last few posts in this topic: http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,941.0.html

Please REALLY fix this problem (and, ideally, offer an apology).  The fact that paying customers like me should heave to spend their meager recreation time debugging this and writing posts just so other users don't have to waste even more time is incredibly lame.

First and foremost I'll thank you for your extra work in saving the time of those who wouldn't know what or how to fix or even look for in solving their problem.

I read that other thread and it does pose an interesting question of why certain files weren't placed in the correct user directories. Under linux, the 2pers2.dat file is located under the users home directory as ~/.WorldOfGoo/ where the three files it needs access are available to be written.

Microsoft's Windows line of desktop operating systems have had flaws, that I won't get into all of them specifically, which severely limit people from properly using applications as a limited account. Initially, everything went into the registry in HKLM, which is system wide and files were generically allowed read/write acces in the c:\program files\ directory as well as anywhere on the system for that matter.

When they introduced their version of a "multi-user system", the problem wasn't wholly with Microsoft but VERY entrenched software coding practices to still leave files that required full read/write access in c:\program files\ but also they kept using HKLM (local machine, system wide) instead of HKCU (a registry per user as I've understood it). So the whole thing, designed poorly from the start turned into one giant fuster cluck as the wheels of disaster kept spinning.

What we need, over-all. Is for programmers to stick things in the users "My Documents" directory or their own accounts "Documents and Settings\<user account>\Application Data\"  area for files they need on a PER USER BASIS.

Again, you're help is appreciated. =)