Enable Keyboard Volume Controls to pass through game

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Enable Keyboard Volume Controls to pass through gamedawning02/17/2009 - 04:36

I often use the volume control keys on my keyboard. However in WoG they don't do anything. I'd love it if they could be hooked up and function normally.

In my case, I'm referring to an Ubuntu machine running the game. The "Keyboard Shortcuts" app calls the keys I want passed through "XF86AudioMute", "XF86AudioLowerVolume" and "XF86RaiseVolume".

Thanks, hope that tweak is easy to apply?!

Re: Enable Keyboard Volume Controls to pass through gameTheHermit02/17/2009 - 12:38

Agreed some sort or volume control (other than mute! ;)) would be great...

Re: Enable Keyboard Volume Controls to pass through gamedawning02/17/2009 - 13:54

Also, I have screen dimmer buttons that would be nice to have use of as well..

Additionally: Perhaps the key sequence used to switch virtual desktops in gnome could get passed through? Rad.

sRe: Enable Keyboard Volume Controls to pass through gameSoultaker02/17/2009 - 14:10

That global shortcuts don't work in the Linux version is a known issue; not much to be done about it, though you can usually switch to windowed mode (with Alt-Enter), change the volume, and switch back.

That the game doesn't allow volume (or other settings) to be adjusted at run-time is by design.

Re: Enable Keyboard Volume Controls to pass through gameTheHermit02/17/2009 - 15:22

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1472.msg9891#msg9891 date=1234897807]
That the game doesn't allow volume (or other settings) to be adjusted at run-time is by design.

That's a BAD design issue then. There are few games that don't allow the basic options of brightness/gamma levels and less still that won't let you change the volume... :o

Re: Enable Keyboard Volume Controls to pass through gameTheOldMan02/20/2009 - 02:23

While it would be a good thing to have, I don't see it as too much of a concern since there's a volume knob on the right of the mousepad. :D