Linux version, again.

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Linux version, again.fleg02/19/2009 - 04:52

I know that you must be now extremely angry because these all of linux problems, sorry  ;)

So, maybe a good idea would be to allow:
a) copy game files from the box set I've bought to demo, so I would be able to play full version on linux without bugging you to send me one or downloading a pirated one

or

b) release only binary files, so I'd have to copy rest from an windows install.

That's how a linux version was solved by ID Software for example, and maybe it'll work for WOG, too  ;)

Re: Linux version, again.Soultaker02/19/2009 - 07:24

I'm not sure if I'm in the position where I should be saying this, but... that probably does work already. (Have you even tried it?)

Re: Linux version, again.fleg02/19/2009 - 08:21

Yeah, the game still says it's a demo. Haven't tried to play other chapters than the first, but I'll try when I'll have some free time  ;)

Re: Linux version, again.TheOldMan02/20/2009 - 03:10

[quote author=fleg link=topic=1491.msg9989#msg9989 date=1235049666]
Yeah, the game still says it's a demo. Haven't tried to play other chapters than the first, but I'll try when I'll have some free time  ;)

I'm assuming you installed the linux demo, played it, then installed the full version. If that's the case, you might have to rm the .dat file found in ~/.WorldOfGoo/ or nuke the entire directory (backup!).

Re: Linux version, again.Soultaker02/20/2009 - 07:30

You shouldn't remove the pers2.dat file; it contains all your game progress! And it's perfectly portable between the demo and full version anyway.

Re: Linux version, again.fleg02/20/2009 - 10:45

I've deleted whole ~/.WorldOfGoo (I wasn't as far to care about progress), but still, the game says it's a demo.

I'll try to copy here my original polish language files from the box set and check if game is in polish. I was using pirated english version because it doesn't check for a CD in the drive (which of course fails, as wine can't provide low-lewel access to drive).

Re: Linux version, again.TheOldMan02/20/2009 - 15:54

[quote author=fleg link=topic=1491.msg10063#msg10063 date=1235144716]
I've deleted whole ~/.WorldOfGoo (I wasn't as far to care about progress), but still, the game says it's a demo.

I'll try to copy here my original polish language files from the box set and check if game is in polish. I was using pirated english version because it doesn't check for a CD in the drive (which of course fails, as wine can't provide low-lewel access to drive).

wait, you were using wine? then you can create an iso of the CD and mount it with the loopback device under a mountpoint of your choosing and change where the cd drive is in the wine config.

but i highly recommend downloading the linux .deb and installing the full version that way.

Re: Linux version, again.fleg02/21/2009 - 03:07

[quote author=TheOldMan link=topic=1491.msg10076#msg10076 date=1235163243]
wait, you were using wine? then you can create an iso of the CD and mount it with the loopback device under a mountpoint of your choosing and change where the cd drive is in the wine config.

but i highly recommend downloading the linux .deb and installing the full version that way.

No. It was an installation that remembers the times when Linux version was still unpublished  ;)

Re: Linux version, again.kdn02/21/2009 - 05:23

Did you try uninstalling the demo?

With Debian/Ubuntu:
sudo aptitude search goo
to see if you find the package of the demo (it's call worldofgoodemo or something similar).
When you find it, uninstall it with:
sudo aptidude remove worldofgoodemo (again, or something similar)

Then install the full version. It installs in /opt/WordOfGoo/

Re: Linux version, again.fleg02/21/2009 - 05:53

[quote author=kdn link=topic=1491.msg10099#msg10099 date=1235211802]
Then install the full version. It installs in /opt/WordOfGoo/

The problem is, I've bought the box-set so I can't download the linux version from here, I don't want to bug the developers, and I was thinking if I can transform the demo to the full version by simple copying full version's files over the ones that was provided by demo.

Re: Linux version, again.Soultaker02/21/2009 - 11:10

I still say coping the res directory should do the trick.

Re: Linux version, again.GreyPoint03/08/2009 - 20:18

The *.bin files in the properties directory need to be copied in addition to the res directory for this to work.

Re: Linux version, again.dakira03/18/2009 - 19:13

I just installed the Linux demo and copied over the data-files of the windows full version. works as expected. There shouldn't be a difference between the data-files of the boxed- and download-versions. Most probably your are copying to the wrong places.