paypal sucks

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
paypal suckslyman02/20/2009 - 04:51

I understand that paypal might be the best e-pay platform in many places. However, what I have to say, as a China resident, is that paypal sucks.

The truth is, buying WoG from 2d boy using a Chinese bank credit card will be regarded as "dangerous transaction" by paypal. I am not sure who should be blamed in this scene --- Chinese banks or paypal --- I don't care. What I care is that I can not get what I want.

Get another credit card published by foreign bank? That maybe work. But I am afraid I am not going to do so. Aside from the troublesome of applying a credit card from a no-where-to-find bank (yeah, I am not living in a famous Chinese city), in fact, I hate credit card. I even won't have my own one if debit cards could be supported as convenient as credit ones.

So here's my suggestion when paypal is not perfect: give people more options for paying. As for China, alipay (http://market.alipay.com/ospay/about.htm) seems a very competitive alternative.

Anyway, I think I should calm down and try other ways (if there is any) to get WoG. I really appreciate your effort of porting WoG to Linux. Thanks.

Re: paypal sucksnull.hypothesis08/01/2009 - 08:06

I live in UK not China and would love to buy this game for Linux, but I’ve heard so many anecdotes about Paypal charging people here for products they never bought and then taking no responsibility for it that I have to hold back.

Re: paypal sucksSoultaker08/01/2009 - 08:22

For what it's worth, I have nothing but good experiences with PayPal as a buyer.

It may also help that, unlike in the US, in Europe PayPal are registered as a proper bank and have to comply with the regulations that apply to such institutions. That may well give European customers some additional protection (although I don't have any practical experience in this matter; I've never had any disputes with PayPal).

If you don't fully trust PayPal, you don't have to give them access to your credit card or bank account; you can just transfer the required amount of money into your PayPal account when you need it (although you probably have to overestimate a bit, because of currency conversions, and end up with some loose change in your account).

Re: paypal sucksGoo2K08/04/2009 - 19:40

I haven't had PayPal randomly charge me, I imagine that those people who encountered those problems either encountered some glitch or did not properly pay for the item. Perhaps they subscribed instead of sending a payment...Also, PayPal always allows you to confirm the payment so you have an option of backing out if you change your mind or entered the wrong amount.

Re: paypal sucksmacro0109/02/2009 - 02:08

I don't have problem with paypal.
But if your are not satisfied with
paypal. You can try moneybookers,
liberty, and alertpay. There's a lot
that you can search on the net. You
just have to find out which of your
local banks are affiliated.  ;)

Re: paypal sucksPerplexed Guide10/31/2009 - 16:02

[quote author=lyman link=topic=1503.msg10057#msg10057 date=1235123505]
I understand that paypal might be the best e-pay platform in many places. However, what I have to say, as a China resident, is that paypal sucks.

The truth is, buying WoG from 2d boy using a Chinese bank credit card will be regarded as "dangerous transaction" by paypal. I am not sure who should be blamed in this scene --- Chinese banks or paypal --- I don't care. What I care is that I can not get what I want.

Get another credit card published by foreign bank? That maybe work. But I am afraid I am not going to do so. Aside from the troublesome of applying a credit card from a no-where-to-find bank (yeah, I am not living in a famous Chinese city), in fact, I hate credit card. I even won't have my own one if debit cards could be supported as convenient as credit ones.

So here's my suggestion when paypal is not perfect: give people more options for paying. As for China, alipay (http://market.alipay.com/ospay/about.htm) seems a very competitive alternative.

Anyway, I think I should calm down and try other ways (if there is any) to get WoG. I really appreciate your effort of porting WoG to Linux. Thanks.
If PayPal wasn't available I would have not purchases World of Goo.

I only use PayPal for online transactions.

Re: paypal sucksImrsk00711/02/2009 - 12:57

no paypal doesnt suck it just takes time!

Re: paypal sucksusenix01/13/2010 - 05:33

I already mentioned the same problem here:

http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,1441.0.html

Unfortunately, 2dboy didn't react at all. Apparently they don't want our money.
Well, these are the facts: I will never conduct any transaction via paypal. It seems I can buy the Linux version exclusively through paypal. This is very unfortunate, because especially in the Linux community, many ppl care about their data and won't buy anything through paypal at all.

Given that, noone should wonder if the Linux version doesn't sell...

I'd be all in for buying a boxed version from amazon.com, but there is no information on whether this includes the Linux version or not. Does anyone know?

Cheers

usenix

Re: paypal sucksGMMan01/13/2010 - 15:01

The Linux version is fairly new, so it isn't included in any boxed versions. Just so that you know, most indie developers only allow buying from PayPal, and many don't develop Linux versions.