A different kind of sandbox?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
A different kind of sandbox?Chikazz02/21/2009 - 14:44

I've been thinking, and while I do love building towers, I would love a sandbox where I had some water, a tube (to climb up), and some balloons to play with. Maybe a few other things, like some blocks to stack, pillars to build bridges on, spinning balls, etc. Also, it would be great to have different kinds of goos to play with in there (clear goo, yellow goos for the big spinning balls, etc?).

My idea was that this would be a non-competitive sandbox, so people could use all of their extra goos.

A capped ceiling would be useful, so the goos wouldn't fly to infinity with the balloons (but not too low a ceiling). Also, while it wouldn't necessarily need to be unlimited like the other sandbox (although that would be ideal), it would need to be wide enough to allow for some free form or tower building, so that people could just go wild and crazy in there, and do whatever they like, even building towers with ALL their extra goos.

I looked around, but I was surprised because I couldn't see anyone else suggesting this, so I thought I'd make a post. Sorry if anyone thought of it first and I missed it. I'm also sorry if this isn't possible. It's just a dream of mine that I'd love to see come true.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?TheHermit02/21/2009 - 14:51

Sounds like a great idea!

Re: A different kind of sandbox?spazturtle02/21/2009 - 18:08

Good idea, it also sound easy to make

Re: A different kind of sandbox?Eak02/25/2009 - 14:00

Just add a wheel here, some water here... 2D boy could do it in no time at all.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?Chikazz02/26/2009 - 12:16

I looked up the level editor, but I'm afraid I don't know how to use it. I'm going to try it out, but I'm not sure if it can be used to duplicate something like the world of goo corp... I don't want to make it an actual level because that's not what I'm aiming for, you understand. No pipe or anything.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?MattOG02/26/2009 - 13:41

It's actually quite easy to duplicate, the main thing is that the level is handled differently by the game. I'm guessing it's the name that triggers the 'infinite in all directions' and the amount of goo balls you get, but making something like you're talking about isn't too hard.

You could have it set up pretty much the same, a few things may change though, the reset button is one, not sure if it'd work properly. The clouds. It wouldn't be 'infinite', but you could make it big enough to be irrelevant, and the balls you get wouldn't be dynamic, as in, set by what you have rescued (but let's face it, balloons don't go in pipes anyway!!).

Saying that, it'd be very simple to piece together a level with a large enough selection, each with their own 'speciality' areas, which you could obviously interchange and play with.

I'll look into it and make something to test. From there it can be tweaked into something using ideas from here.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?MattOG02/27/2009 - 03:08

Well, I must confess to being almost late for work this morning because of this. Playing with the ideas is great fun and I completely lost track of time making a rocket.

I have a basic layout set already, and have quite a few ideas in mind, it's turning out to be a lot more fun than I first thought, I can't wait.

As a side, the level editor has a few annoying bugs/limitations which are slowing the process right down, a lot of the work is having to be done in notepad++, and using gootool to encrypt/decrypt all the time, but I should have the first 'prototype' up and running very soon...

Last modified Fri, 02/27/2009 - 07:42 by MattOG
Re: A different kind of sandbox?Chikazz03/01/2009 - 01:08

Omg, you're doing this? You have no idea how excited I am! I just checked in for the first time in a few days, because I've been very busy lately and haven't had a lot of time to do anything in this regard, and was about to try myself.

I still will try the editor, just because it sounds interesting, and because I now have some time on my hands. It looks similar to something I used in the past, though that could be superficial, because all I've seen are pictures.

I am just amazed and thrilled that you're actually making something like I imagined! And I'm happy that you're enjoying it, too! I'm thrilled that it's possible, even if it's not exactly what I'd imagined, it's MORE than close enough to be perfect, and I'm just terribly thrilled and happy and all! You must tell me all about this. I shall send you a pm with my email.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?MattOG03/01/2009 - 01:55

A few screens, apparently the uploader folder is full! So I stuck them on photobucket.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x231/FR4G1L3/Goo/Sandbox_ss1.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x231/FR4G1L3/Goo/Sandbox_ss2.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x231/FR4G1L3/Goo/Sandbox_ss3.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x231/FR4G1L3/Goo/Sandbox_ss4.jpg

Re: A different kind of sandbox?Chikazz03/01/2009 - 17:11

Oh my, I am in awe... I simply cannot wait to see it for myself. In the interim, however, I only wish there was something I could do to help.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?luiginator03/02/2009 - 01:09

That would be awesome! But I think they should have both this and the original sandbox area. That way you can have one for building the highest tower, and one for just messing around.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?MattOG03/02/2009 - 01:26

Yeah, this will be installed as a custom level, so both will be available. I'm looking to make all balls disconnectable, as well as a few interesting surprises.  :o

Re: A different kind of sandbox?Chikazz03/02/2009 - 02:37

I think I have a new hero :D And I'm really glad I came up with this idea, and said something! I don't usually post my wacky ideas in forums... I was just really surprised nobody seemed to think of this before me. Maybe it was fate? ;)

The only other time I ever mentioned one of my crazy ideas was to have a mod for oblivion, where the effect of the fire you step into, during the main quest from the Shivering Isles, could be turned off/on by wearing a ring... I tried to do it myself at first, but after a month I realized I was in over my head. I could do other mods, but this was a lot more complex. I went to the modding community and was completely ignored. After that, I've really kept to myself. So I've really got to hand it to you, man. The thought that just ran through my little gamer head is: Maybe the cake isn't a lie after all....

Last modified Mon, 03/02/2009 - 02:54 by Chikazz
Re: A different kind of sandbox?MattOG03/02/2009 - 03:10

Meh, you should always take the red pill and jump straight in. Have much more fun that way ;D

Re: A different kind of sandbox?Chikazz03/02/2009 - 13:14

I accede to your superior wisdom, sensei ;D

I know you'll keep us mere peons apprised of your progress, but please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Re: A different kind of sandbox?Rayquaza03/04/2009 - 08:38

I´m really glad to hear of this, because in the german version, they announced this kind of level, too, but in the final version, it´s the same version like everywhere in the world  :( . And now, this level is released by a fan. Thx!!