Higher resolution/ quality

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Higher resolution/ qualityMacatttack08/14/2008 - 19:20

I wish I could turn the resolution up in world of goo cause it seems a bit low. It also would be cool if you could change the physics accuracy.  ;D

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityMarius08/14/2008 - 22:12

Agreed, although I value zooming out more. Both would be nice. I guess we'll have to wait for next week (2 weeks?) for the newest beta round to see what is included. I doubt they're going to make much large changes now :)
I'm strongly against changing physics accuracy, btw, since it changes the level. The leaderboard wouldn't be objective anymore.

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityBallisticsfood08/15/2008 - 06:37

I believe they've already implemented an options menu where you can change shizz like graphics/sound, although i do agree with marius about the physics accuracy. Not because it would change the leaderboard, but because I can't see any reason to. Why make the game's physics worse?

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityMacatttack08/15/2008 - 15:16

Quote:
Agreed, although I value zooming out more.

wait, what? You can zoom out? How?!!
Edit: oh now I see your just suggesting that. :)

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityfunkycoder10/09/2008 - 12:57

hello,

despite the warnings I changed the game's resolution to 1920x1200, and it didn't set fire to anything, but the game seems to have some issues with scaling, for example the menu text (chapter names) is no longer fully visible, the levels are playable, but the "completed"-sign appears off-screen, so you can't finish any levels...
and it does not seem to be an issue with the aspect-ratio, since I also tried 1600x1200 (which is just double the default 800x600), with the same result. pity. but at least it's full-screen (unlike cortex command...)

and higher resolution reveals some bugs, like the black bars not convering the first row & column of pixels on the screen, or the glow/shadows of the goo balls extending into areas that seem transparent. "no biggie" though, still prevented me from going to bed 4hrs earlier^^

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityBallisticsfood10/09/2008 - 15:14

I believe this is because the game isn't designed to scale. It's meant for 800X600

Re: Higher resolution/ qualitykyle10/09/2008 - 15:56

The game really is best at 800x600, or the 16:9 mode equivalent. This was a decision made early on, since high resolution != high quality. Maybe it's a personal taste thing, but I prefer the look of 800x600 blown up, so you can see pixels like the fun games from the 90's!

Increasing the resolution will not make the game any better, just slower and more crashy. Really really not recommended.

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityMarius10/09/2008 - 16:19

I made it widescreen, to utilise my entire screen. Slight glitch with the continue chain, but whatever :P
I'm not quite sure if it has given me more screen space to work on...

Edit: What is ui_inset btw? Should I change it if I change my resolution?

Last modified Thu, 10/09/2008 - 16:32 by Marius
Re: Higher resolution/ qualityTHE_Ted10/09/2008 - 21:31

[quote author=kyle link=topic=159.msg2249#msg2249 date=1223585811]
The game really is best at 800x600, or the 16:9 mode equivalent. This was a decision made early on, since high resolution != high quality. Maybe it's a personal taste thing, but I prefer the look of 800x600 blown up, so you can see pixels like the fun games from the 90's!

Increasing the resolution will not make the game any better, just slower and more crashy. Really really not recommended.

I have to disagree with this. I'm halfway through, and I just now tried out changing the resolution, and I almost feel like waiting to finish the game, HOPING that they release an update to fix the completion handle at high resolutions, because this game is SO BEAUTIFUL at 1920x1080 on my 42" LCD television. Its like living inside a flash animation.

Physics glitches, game play troubles, crashy experiences, WHATHAVEYOU I DECLARE RIGHT NOW I WISH TO RISK IT. I understand that they've made the game and the game is the game. In no way do I think they should be troubled to making higher resolutions an in-game menu feature that is fully supported, but please, PLEASE, for something as mundane as the placement of the handle that lets me finish a level when its completed, I BEG FOR AN UPDATE. Just move the handle, that's all I want. If my computer explodes that's my own problem; it would be an honorable and glorious way to die! DARING TO SEEK GOO AT MORE BEAUTIFUL RESOLUTIONS, CONSEQUENCES BE DAMNED!

Edit: It's....'possible' I over-reacted. I tried it again at 1280x720 and it looks pretty darn good, as in it eliminated that 'port from windows 95' graininess, and its wide screen. The handle is still somewhat off screen, but it is at least clickable, and so I am happy. An update would still be nice, but I'm not quite so ready to start nailing hostages up on the wall to get it as I was.

Last modified Thu, 10/09/2008 - 21:59 by THE_Ted
Re: Higher resolution/ qualitysekazi10/10/2008 - 18:06

When I think of the great games from the 90's I think of clean perfect graphics. 800x600 stretched to 1920x1200 really kills it for me so I dont even bother playing on my 24" LCD. I have been playing on my tablet at 800x600 but I still find 1280x800 to be better as I can see how far I can put the goos. At 800x600 I have to guess how far I can place a goo because the white line disappears. 1280x800 shows the line alot better and 1920x1200 shows it insanely good.

I prefer clean than low res grainy. If you want grainy I think it would have worked best as a overlay like other games do it. It looks really good that way.

But still I like the game alot but I am just having problems getting over the 800x600 resolution.

The problem with the 16:9 or 16:10 equivalent is that most graphics cards do not support it by default. Case in point. My Laptop native is 1280x800 so 16:10 for 800x600 would be 800x500. My laptop changes it to 800x480 which destroys the graphics even more. The game looks better at 800x600 but still not proportional.

Last modified Fri, 10/10/2008 - 18:10 by sekazi
Re: Higher resolution/ qualityMarius10/10/2008 - 18:23

The stretching of the image on widescreen monitors is a setting you can turn on or off in your videocard settings. For some obscure reason, it's on by default...

Re: Higher resolution/ qualitysekazi10/10/2008 - 18:33

[quote author=Marius link=topic=159.msg2330#msg2330 date=1223681003]
The stretching of the image on widescreen monitors is a setting you can turn on or off in your videocard settings. For some obscure reason, it's on by default...

I cannot turn it on. If I turn it on then my touch screen goes all out of whack.

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityjonrico10/10/2008 - 21:12

I would still like to have a properly working scalable resolution - all that really needs to be done as people have said is adjust the size of the cistern, position of the flush on level completion and some text positioning stuff.

There is a small image quality increase displaying an image in a monitor's native resolution even if I understand the actual graphics wont get better. Also for dual monitors - fullscreening in a different resolution messes up the display on the second monitor - the resolution of the second stays the same but the windows from the first monitor appear partially on the second because of the reduced screen estate on the first monitor that is playing the game.

So I ask again politely for the fix - hopefully its not much more than some quick calculations and positioning changes based on resolution?

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityRanneko10/11/2008 - 00:53

I also would like a higher resolution mode available, widescreen monitor and dual monitor set up results in either tiny window in windowed mode, or windows bring wackily positioned in full screen. (I can set the monitor to not stretch the image fortunately).

I am enjoying the game, and whilst I would like a larger view of the level, ultimately I just want to be able to run it at the resolution my monitor is designed for without being unable to complete levels.

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityVark10/11/2008 - 12:01

This was a decision made early on, since high resolution != high quality.

Oddly, it was only when I came across the config file that it even occurred to me that it had been running in 800x600. So you definitely have a point.

But once I'd noticed that decision, (and having seen what it looks like in high res) it's become like an massive itch. Delivered by fleas coated in knives. Dripping with skin irritant.

Maybe it's a personal taste thing, but I prefer the look of 800x600 blown up, so you can see pixels like the fun games from the 90's!

As someone else has already mentioned, streching low res to a high res LCD monitor doesn't look anything like those pixellated graphics from back whenever. It looks more like an 90's game with a thin layer of vaseline smeared over the screen. (This might be why I didn't notice the game's res right away - because my screen does in fact have a thin coating of .. What?? What's so odd about that? It keeps the moisture out!  ;))

If it's been done like this because of personal taste, maybe there is some merit in handling other peoples' personal taste as well? Unless it's some kind of artistic statement thing; I could live with that given how much style is oozing from the Goo. (But I still think it looks much better in high res.)

Regarding performance, that's something the user has to deal with. Most folks are aware there is a trade off in performance/graphical settings these days. I don't think modern graphics cards are going to have to much of an issue with higher res, though.

As to crashing, I don't know anything at all about how Goo is implemented, but changing resolution is so ubiquitous in applications these days I surprises me you think this could be a problem. Maybe it is; (certainly there are obvious differences at the moment, or this thread wouldn't exist) but in any case, what has been asked for here is the option to make higher resolution playable, even if it is 'at the user's risk*'.

* Unless resulting crashes wipe my game progress out again; I'm getting pretty fed up of the first few levels now.  ;)

V

Who is content saving low-res goo if that's all available, but wants to help improve the experience if possible.

Re: Higher resolution/ qualitysekazi10/11/2008 - 15:59

I would also like to mention that on my LCD 800x600 really kills my Contrast Ratio. I have so many watered down colors it is not funny. But once it is 1920x1200 the colors just jump out and are extremely bright like they should be. I like Red not Gray Red. I like Black and not Dark Grey

Re: Higher resolution/ qualitycompuguy108810/13/2008 - 22:09

[quote author=jonrico link=topic=159.msg2346#msg2346 date=1223691179]
I would still like to have a properly working scalable resolution - all that really needs to be done as people have said is adjust the size of the cistern, position of the flush on level completion and some text positioning stuff.

There is a small image quality increase displaying an image in a monitor's native resolution even if I understand the actual graphics wont get better. Also for dual monitors - fullscreening in a different resolution messes up the display on the second monitor - the resolution of the second stays the same but the windows from the first monitor appear partially on the second because of the reduced screen estate on the first monitor that is playing the game.

So I ask again politely for the fix - hopefully its not much more than some quick calculations and positioning changes based on resolution?

Agreed, I saw this when I fired up World of Goo on my dual monitor setup. It is annoying that the game cannot support today's widescreen resolutions, when most monitors that are sold or on laptops are in widescreen resolutions. If it is not possible to allow for higher resolutions, then the ability to play it in a window should be allowed.

Re: Higher resolution/ qualityJimlad10/14/2008 - 07:48

Maybe it's just me, but I play enough indie games that I've gotten used to not caring what happens on my other monitor, when I'm playing a game on just one. It's not like I need to do other things while I'm in the middle of a game, and alt-tabbing out doesn't have any issues. btw you can run in windowed mode very easily, just hit alt-enter like for most programs. I have it set up to play 1280x800 on my monitor and everything's great. I agree though, there should be support for higher resolutions since from what I can see, it only needs one or two minor changes to make it infinitely more playable.