Missions that are just annoying (case in point: Chapter 3: Upper Shaft)

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Missions that are just annoying (case in point: Chapter 3: Upper Shaft)Stromko03/09/2009 - 00:14

Here's my problem with Chapter 3: Upper Shaft. It is really broken down into two stages, both of which you can fail horribly on.

My gripe is that after blowing up the walls, I have to make that bridge /tower / protuberance across the way to get to the pipe, and any minor mistake means my gooballs get shredded by blades or spikes. This can happen a lot, so much so that I completely run out of time-bugs to skip back before the failure.

So I'm now completely sick of having to do Stage 1 (lowering the bomb / setting it off) just to have another crack at Stage 2 where I'm failing over and over again. The repetition gets to be mindless, and thus unfun. If my attention drifts, I might snap the cable and drop the thing, thus failing before I even get to the hard stage. So it's not even repetition I can channel out.

Other than that loving the game, I just don't like the idea of having more missions like this where you have to redo the same thing over and over again just to come face to face with the really difficult part-- then upon failing the difficult part, having to start all over again.

edit: Hold on a sec do those time-flies actually regenerate? I'm trying the stage over again and notice I still got 5 of those things buzzing around, even though I spent 2 of them to avert dropping the bomb. ... I remember running out of them several times last night, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Hrmph. If there's really infinite go-back buttons then the problem isn't so bad.

another edit: And then I complete this 'unfairly hard' mission on my first try of the day. I guess it's not so cruel after all.

Last modified Mon, 03/09/2009 - 00:23 by Stromko
Re: Missions that are just annoying (case in point: Chapter 3: Upper Shaft)MattOG03/09/2009 - 03:19

lol, patience is a virtue.

Practice Makes Perfect

etc. etc.

With green goos, on the level, you can easily regenerate timebugs by building, and removing, them over and over. You get a maximum of five at any one time, but each level has it's own probability of one appearing after you make a move, so, if you get to a bit you know is hard, make a load of pointless moves to max your time bugs first.

Re: Missions that are just annoying (case in point: Chapter 3: Upper Shaft)dentaku03/09/2009 - 15:14

Hey, don't complain about the levels - none of them are really hard. A few of them needsseveral attempts to try things out. It doesn't really help to do the same things again and again. In the level with the dropping bomb, I found out many new things just by doing things a little different anytime. Sometimes it's so laughable because it's so easy once you figured it out. Sometimes you think you need lots of Goos to hold that structure but if you just sit back and think about it, you will see that you sometimes just need a few Goos to keep the structure from sliding down the cliff ...  ;)

Re: Missions that are just annoying (case in point: Chapter 3: Upper Shaft)Gonzo03/18/2009 - 18:30

First post, just got the game and finished it trough the night had to call in sick for work next morning, but hey the game deserves it!
On-topic: read the sign, it says something about a dangling spider above the fire.. The Signpainter always gives good hints.

Goo-ed Luck!