miscounting moves and timer issue

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
miscounting moves and timer issueniels2k03/18/2009 - 06:33

First of all a small nuisance about the timer is, that it doesn't stop until you tug on the crapper-handle. It would be nice if the time stoped the second you gathered enough goos.

I had a suspicion but I now have verified (I think;P) that the moves counter has an error. I have counted 8 or 9 in the "third wheel" level but it continously shows 10 or 11 moves. I'm going nuts! Possible issues is that the tug on the cord to end the level counts as one, or count increases when the cursor travels across some of the goos, or maybe it counts whenever goos are dislodged even if it is done by something other than myself and my cursor.

Re: miscounting moves and timer issueMattOG03/18/2009 - 09:56

Quote:
First of all a small nuisance about the timer is, that it doesn't stop until you tug on the crapper-handle. It would be nice if the time stoped the second you gathered enough goos.

Just click like mad on the top of the little glass container. That's where the handle is first made active. (It bounces up and right).

Quote:
Possible issues is that the tug on the cord to end the level counts as one, or count increases when the cursor travels across some of the goos, or maybe it counts whenever goos are dislodged even if it is done by something other than myself and my cursor.

No,
no,
and no.

Possible issues are not understanding what constitutes a move.

Removing a goo from the structure and dropping it. 1 Move.
Removing a goo from the structure, and re-adding it without letting go. 1 Move.
Adding a goo to the structure. 1 Move.
Clicking a timebug. Goes back a move, BUT DOES NOT CHANGE MOVE COUNTER.

That is all the things you will come across in third wheel.

OCD Moves list:

1. Green goo on to structure at bottom.
2. 2nd Green goo on to structure at bottom.
3. Pokey to bottom wheel & structure.
4. Remove Pokey and add to middle wheel (not letting go) & structure.
5. Remove Pokey and add to top wheel & structure.
6. Add Skull goo.

Last modified Wed, 03/18/2009 - 10:05 by MattOG
Re: miscounting moves and timer issueniels2k03/18/2009 - 17:05

MattOG:
I did EXACTLY what you're describing, plus one move one last structure to get to the pipe, and I finally got OCD, but with 9 moves!! I'm also getting way to many moves on regurgitation. Counted (again exactly like you're describing) 37 moves but only just snuck under the OCD limit of 42. Maybe just my copy then?

Someone else described the move of the yellow goo from one wheel to the next as two moves. That might be it, though.

Re: miscounting moves and timer issueMattOG03/19/2009 - 01:29

Ok... Then I humbly retract statement 2 from my previous post. After some testing I can confirm....

Removing a goo from the structure, and re-adding it without letting go. 2 Moves.

I think I need to learn to count. For some reason I thought the OCD was 7 moves.

Last modified Thu, 03/19/2009 - 01:31 by MattOG
Re: miscounting moves and timer issuedavidc03/19/2009 - 09:26

I should have noticed that, I annotated this video a while back with all the moves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMEDDzDvmLI

-davidc

Re: miscounting moves and timer issueMattOG03/19/2009 - 09:38

[quote author=davidc link=topic=1647.msg10843#msg10843 date=1237472809]
I should have noticed that, I annotated this video a while back with all the moves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMEDDzDvmLI

-davidc

Yeah funny how stuff gets stuck in your head like that... or stuck out of it.