Sensors and General User Interaction

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Sensors and General User InteractionButtersnack03/23/2009 - 16:08

Hey guys, I'm new here. Well, I came up with an idea (I apologize if you've heard it before) and I think it could be pretty fun.

Sensors: When a gooball passes a set line or height, an action is triggered. Maybe the walls start closing in or the floor drops out.

Levers and buttons: When a gooball pushes a lever or button, an action is triggered. These, since they would be voluntary, would be necessary effects like dropping more gooballs. They could also be voluntary, necessary, and bad. I push a button that destroys my tower and a wall blocking the way.

Mouse levers and buttons: Same as above, but controlled by the cursor.

Vehicles: A rather nutty idea, I must say. A button, lever, sensor, whatever, lets a car out. The car attempts to cross my bridge, and if built properly, it can, completing the level.

Feedback would be awesome!

Re: Sensors and General User InteractionMattOG03/24/2009 - 08:33

Sensors are (kinda) already in the game, you can have things trigger at a certain height, and also when two certain objects collide. The problem is the limited actions that can be performed when those things happen.

Goo activated buttons would be good, though would work on the same premise as a sensor.

After using the editor a lot, what is needed is: The ability to trigger a motor/force based on a gooball hitting a certain geom, or entering a certain area. This would allow many more 'actions' to be performed.

Re: Sensors and General User InteractionStickybomb6703/24/2009 - 10:01

This is cool, Buttersnack. As I said before, I might like to see a level about a 'Goo Racecar'. This is kind of like your vehicle idea, except the car is made of Goo.

Re: Sensors and General User InteractionButtersnack03/24/2009 - 15:52

[quote author=MattOG link=topic=1673.msg10949#msg10949 date=1237901591]
Sensors are (kinda) already in the game, you can have things trigger at a certain height, and also when two certain objects collide. The problem is the limited actions that can be performed when those things happen.

Goo activated buttons would be good, though would work on the same premise as a sensor.

After using the editor a lot, what is needed is: The ability to trigger a motor/force based on a gooball hitting a certain geom, or entering a certain area. This would allow many more 'actions' to be performed.

Hmm... Nice to know. I can't use the editor, as I have it on wiiware.