only good value will defeat the "pirates"

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
only good value will defeat the "pirates"chrisc05/04/2009 - 18:23

A days holiday and in 4 or 5 sessions I'd finished the game, way too short, and little reason for replay
you could have at *least* included a physics (dynamics) playground feature.

We all know just about all DRM gets defeated (usually very quickly) but if you want to convince the suits
that DRM doesn't work you need to provide games with really good value and *longevity*.

Who wouldn't feel cheated paying £40-£50 for a game that's completed in four or five days of play.
Its no wonder the less honest resort to stealing!

If the game was half the price there would be a lot less piracy

if it was five bucks who'd bother? sell 'em cheap - pile 'em high....

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"Seeker05/05/2009 - 12:21

Pirates will download it even, if it will cost 10 cents...

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"TheWampaKing05/05/2009 - 13:33

The game is 15 bucks, and it's better then most retail games, which are usually 40-60 bucks. Pretty good value IMO.

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"Stickybomb6705/05/2009 - 14:48

I'm in the majority!

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"Indrek05/05/2009 - 19:37

[quote author=chrisc link=topic=1822.msg12142#msg12142 date=1241479427]Who wouldn't feel cheated paying £40-£50 for a game that's completed in four or five days of play.
Which game are you talking about? World of Goo is nowhere near that price range.

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"TheHermit05/06/2009 - 08:25

[quote author=chrisc link=topic=1822.msg12142#msg12142 date=1241479427]
A days holiday and in 4 or 5 sessions I'd finished the game, way too short, and little reason for replay
you could have at *least* included a physics (dynamics) playground feature.
OCD completed on all levels then? Beaten the minimum time, maximun goos recovered & least moves? No playground! Did you even try to build a tower in WoGC? ::)

Quote:
We all know just about all DRM gets defeated (usually very quickly) but if you want to convince the suits that DRM doesn't work you need to provide games with really good value and *longevity*.

$20 (£16.35 when I bought it) for a game that has EVERY level that can be completed in several ways. Yup, they did that. 8)

Quote:
Who wouldn't feel cheated paying £40-£50 for a game that's completed in four or five days of play.
Its no wonder the less honest resort to stealing!

I would! I did when I bought Need For Speed: Carbon >:(

Quote:

It already LESS than half of £40... and steam did a weekend where it worked out to be UNDER £8 recently. Just how low do you want it!?! ???

Quote:

Ah... you mean clearance bin prices! Keep dreaming... :D

Last modified Wed, 05/06/2009 - 08:33 by TheHermit
Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"TheWampaKing05/06/2009 - 10:01

Ok, hermit basically just owned chris in every way.  :D

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"Stickybomb6705/06/2009 - 14:52

P4wned!

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"TheHermit05/07/2009 - 05:03

...and while I remember:
[quote author=chrisc link=topic=1822.msg12142#msg12142 date=1241479427]

Yet people steal from discount stores like Netto & Aldi, and even charity shops!

Someone who pirates WoG is doing the equivalent of stealing from a charity shop.

Unfortunately there will always be people who want something for nothing. :'(

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"spazturtle05/07/2009 - 06:16

technicly pirating is not stealing as you are not taking any thing away, but yes people will alway pirate stuff

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"TheHermit05/07/2009 - 08:10

WRONG!

You are STEALING another persons intellectual property rather than paying for it as you should. Don't believe me? Ask a lawyer...

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"spazturtle05/07/2009 - 11:17

for it to be stealing the owner (2d boy) has to lose something. and as piracy is only copying they are not loseing anything apart form a customer who probably would not buy the game any way.

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"Cycl4mate05/07/2009 - 11:50

Quote:

It already LESS than half of £40... and steam did a weekend where it worked out to be UNDER £8 recently. Just how low do you want it!?! ???

@@@@@@@@@@

I bough it back then  ;D
It was 5 DOLLARS that weekend, 75% off and they already sell a bit cheaper than the official site  ::)  :P

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"TheHermit05/07/2009 - 12:35

[quote author=spazturtle link=topic=1822.msg12260#msg12260 date=1241713070]
for it to be stealing the owner (2d boy) has to lose something. and as piracy is only copying they are not loseing anything apart form a customer who probably would not buy the game any way.

They lose the money that should have been their's when buying the game. Saying the pirate would never have bought it does not make it legal or morally right!  ::)

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"Zappypantz05/08/2009 - 01:19

Quote:

We all know just about all DRM gets defeated (usually very quickly) but if you want to convince the suits
that DRM doesn't work you need to provide games with really good value and *longevity*.

World of Goo didn't ship with any DRM, it was a good game. But people pirated it anyway. I heard 85% of people pirated it. O_O

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"TheHermit05/08/2009 - 02:51

Making 85% of WoG players criminals... if they were ever to get caught... and that's the problem with piracy, it's pratically impossible to catch everyone who has pirated a game so they see no risk in doing so!

Who honestly can put their hand up and say they have NEVER used pirated software? I can't see many hands... ;)

If the police were able to seize your PC and search through all your disks without warning THEN they'd catch a hell of a lot of people... just be glad they can't... yet! :o

Re: only good value will defeat the "pirates"Stickybomb6705/08/2009 - 06:48

(Puts hand up)