Slow download

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Slow downloadlukipuk10/06/2008 - 18:19

Hi,

I just got my super-magical download link so I am very excited to play the game, but the download is very slow (around 3-5kb/s) so its like another 4 hour of waiting :-[ !! I can understand this as many people are downloading the game and your traffic is limited..so my suggestion: why not create torrent file just for people who have bought the game?

Cheers!

Re: Slow downloadDil99910/06/2008 - 18:25

I haven't even gotten the e-mail yet :(

Re: Slow downloadChris Evans10/06/2008 - 18:26

As a torrent would quickly become accessible to all and sunder and thus the game will be in the hands of many who may not end up buying it. It isn't worth the financial risk.

Re: Slow downloadlukipuk10/06/2008 - 18:33

[quote author=Chris Evans link=topic=222.msg1871#msg1871 date=1223335586]
As a torrent would quickly become accessible to all and sunder and thus the game will be in the hands of many who may not end up buying it. It isn't worth the financial risk.

I mean the .torrent file would be given only to the people who actually bought the game in the same manner as the setup.exe file is...

Re: Slow downloadSqrl10/06/2008 - 19:19

I understand where you are coming from but it really does invite a problem and the mentality around piracy is such that the less work there is involved in pirating it, the more people who will do it. 

Besides, a one-time wait is a small price to pay for DRM free software imo. 

I'm actually considering purchasing the game on the Wii in addition to the PC...not only to support them but so that I can have the profanity pack and the multiplayer =P 

Last modified Mon, 10/06/2008 - 19:21 by Sqrl
Re: Slow downloadlukipuk10/06/2008 - 19:47

Yeah maybe you're right :(. I'm definitly not encouraging nor defending piracy, I just have lot of free bandwidth which I would like to contribute :) Isn't there any control mechanism in bittorrent protocol? such as each .torrent file would have its own id and only one user could use it or something like that which would partially solve the problem?

Re: Slow downloaddavid.mcgraw10/06/2008 - 22:16

.torrent files are the wave of the future.  Or, should I say, a .torrent like sharing system that really eases the burden from a central server.  Today isn't the day, but eventually the net will milk power from all who resides.

Re: Slow downloadThe Happy Friar10/06/2008 - 22:23

i don't see how a torrent would help/stop anyone from pirating this game.  It's a link in an e-mail, I could just as easily forward it to a million people (I didn't) vs sending the link to a torrent.

but i can't even start the download yet.  ???

Re: Slow downloadlukipuk10/06/2008 - 22:36

I think that the point of Sqrl and Chris Evans is that it is easier to upload an already existent torrent to pirate site than to create one thus make the process of pirating slower (but it is probably kind of inevitable, imho the people who doesnt want to pay will just wait for this, but then again...maybe not...). Its kinda sad that torrents have such bad reputation. In my opinion, it would do much more help than harm in this unfortunate situation...I have problem with starting the download too :'(

Last modified Mon, 10/06/2008 - 22:40 by lukipuk
Re: Slow downloadCyberShadow10/07/2008 - 09:50

I, too, think that torrent distribution is an awesome idea. The server-side tracker software can use the magic key in the tracker URL, just like private trackers do it for passkeys.

lukipuk: the torrent file format supports such flags such as "private". This means that you won't be able to just upload it to a tracker. And creating a new .torrent file takes less than a minute. Besides, this is still harder than just spreading around the download link!

Also, I don't think BitTorrent's "reputation" is a problem. For examples of legal use of torrents, check out the official bittorrent site and the Vuze multimedia distribution platform.

Last modified Tue, 10/07/2008 - 09:57 by CyberShadow
Re: Slow downloadlukipuk10/07/2008 - 10:55

[quote author=CyberShadow link=topic=222.msg1924#msg1924 date=1223391017]
The server-side tracker software can use the magic key in the tracker URL, just like private trackers do it for passkeys.

lukipuk: the torrent file format supports such flags such as "private". This means that you won't be able to just upload it to a tracker.

So are you saying that it is actually possible to limit the download just for people with valid license? That would be cool solution to the problem! (its not my problem anymore because i have the game already and its awesome :o!)

[quote author=CyberShadow link=topic=222.msg1924#msg1924 date=1223391017]
Also, I don't think BitTorrent's "reputation" is a problem.

But as you can see in previous posts, people have immediately connected torrent with piracy...

Re: Slow downloadNotWorthy10/07/2008 - 11:50

My inferior mate - CyberShadow - is right!!

Didn't you ppl hear about "private trackers" ?
The few kb .torrent files are dynamically generated by the server - with only their headers differing in announce...urls .. or something - that could be magic keys - or even hash's of magic keys for more security. The server may even make sure two different IPs arent connecting through one single magic key (bann on leaking the magic key).

Either case 2dBoy seems to be aware enough of piracy to know theres no point in fighting it - thus the simple security of a private tracker would be more than enough.

And "we're" not saying 2db should ditch http DLs completely - not everyone even can use it afterall (proxy's and caps) plus of course the non-entirely-user-firendly form of torrents. Just dedicate one single server or even part of it for a tracker - and then the part of the community that doesnt mind torrents will get their DL's within 15mins and achieve a total conjoint speed  of like 100MB/s !

I think this idea is really worth considering - setting up the tracker should be a "sinch" - whilist waiting for the DL bot - we may aswell be waiting another week.

Also - Sign Painter rooox!!

Re: Slow downloadDaniel10/07/2008 - 13:21

The download was finished in 1 minute with firefox from europe.

Re: Slow downloadNotWorthy10/07/2008 - 13:27

My internet hands will strangle you with internet rage quicker than that ARGHHH damn you!!

I still don't even know which mail should i expect the link to come to (changed the one attached to paypal some time after pre-order) - it is the paypal one isnt it?