add a way of installing it for the pc for free if you bought it for wii

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
add a way of installing it for the pc for free if you bought it for wiiglahoiten01/07/2010 - 02:08

I bought it for wii, and I'd rather not pay another 15-20$ for the computer version to get the homebrew levels. If not make a legal way to do this, could they possibly ok using some sort of torrent or the like?

Re: add a way of installing it for the pc for free if you bought it for wiiGMMan01/07/2010 - 14:46

You can try piecing it together. Get your Wii modded, save WoG on to a SD card, extract data, install PC demo, copy over data, and apply update patch. Or maybe you can just shell out $20 and support the developers even more.

Re: add a way of installing it for the pc for free if you bought it for wiiglahoiten01/07/2010 - 19:19

but that would take work...  :'(
besides, I don't think that would work, because I bet the software is different for the wii just cause it's a wii, and because there are actual differences between the two, like multiplayer interface on the wii and lack of leaderboards.

Re: add a way of installing it for the pc for free if you bought it for wiispazturtle01/08/2010 - 07:26

@GMMan you can also do that the other way around, get it for PC and hack the wii demo with files from the full game.

Re: add a way of installing it for the pc for free if you bought it for wiiSoultaker01/08/2010 - 09:20

I'm pretty sure the Wii version has different binaries as well as different encoding/encryption of the game data, so this is definitely not going to work. :)

Your only option, officially, is to buy the game again for the PC. You're not going to get any official approval for getting the game from an illegal source, but it's up to you to decide whether you can live with yourself if you go that route. ;)

Re: add a way of installing it for the pc for free if you bought it for wiiGMMan01/08/2010 - 23:48

[quote author=glahoiten link=topic=2399.msg15941#msg15941 date=1262909990]
but that would take work...  :'(
besides, I don't think that would work, because I bet the software is different for the wii just cause it's a wii, and because there are actual differences between the two, like multiplayer interface on the wii and lack of leaderboards.

The data files should be more or less the same. Multiplayer/leaderboard is handled through the binary, nowhere else. If you don't want to do "work," then you should go buy a copy of WoG for PC (and also get a Mac and Linux version). C'mon, you've got to love them enough to give them $20!