Frustrations and disappointments in final version

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Frustrations and disappointments in final versionCyberShadow10/08/2008 - 06:43

I shouldn't be the one to complain as I got my copy for free (thanks Ron/2Dboy!), but I think an attempt at constructive criticism won't hurt :)

So:

1) From what it looks like, you solved the balls-draggable-through-walls bug by making the cursor release the ball automatically when you hit them against a wall hard enough. That's quite annoying, especially when it's a spiked wall - in the preview, you can't destroy a ball at all as long as you hold down the mouse button. Of course, the cause might be something else entirely, but it never happened in the preview.

2) Unlike in the preview, the minimum balls limit is no longer updated to your personal record :( that's very disappointing, for the following reason - when you reach the balls requirement, all the white flies disappear! That means that if you screw up while trying to get more balls in, you must retry from scratch. This became painfully frustrating in "Drool".

3) Is it just me, or is pushing balls much harder now? Doing "Hang Low" in the preview seemed a lot easier. Also, for some reason I couldn't push two sleeping balls on the other side of "Ode to the Bridge Builder" towards my construction at all - my ball went straight through them. This caused me to get 1 ball less than my personal record in the preview...

4) The game crashed once at the start of "Super Fuse Challenge Time". But that's OK since the game automatically saves progress :)

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionCyberShadow10/08/2008 - 10:14

I just finished the game and I'd like to add that, despite those minor issues, how amazing it is overall :D My favourite part is definitely the soundtrack. Once at least some of those issues are fixed, I'll try to get more OCDs :)

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionMarius10/08/2008 - 11:31

Hmm... you may not want to wave around that you got the game for free. People might get curious.

*is curious.

I sort of agree with 2. It's inconvenient when the white flies disappear, as well as how the retry button disappears.

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionNotWorthy10/08/2008 - 13:31

Now that I find myself in this thread, due to the inferior acquaintance knows as "CyberSahdow" forcing me to - I might aswell add my 2 cents.

Firstly no  worries @ "getting it free" - knowing the circumstances I'll just say he got it for having the brain of Rainman and the attentionw*orism of britney spears. Those characteristics are far from the average person so the general public may not fear of same criteria reaching them :P

Now let's see his points...

1) very agreed - firstly i don't really see many levels which depend on the "un-passines-through-objects" for gameplay (even in the first baloon level it doesnt make much difference) - but of course the limit may be enforced - but I also found it anoying in the full version that i couldnt trust my "hold" on the goo-ball.
I think the goo ball should just stay 'stuck' where it should while u notice the cursor doesnt have the goo ball under it anymore - in which point u either let go or cursor-back to where the goo ball was.

2) im not sure im understanding this point right - i assume its about the "continue" pull-lever droping - and indeed the flies not rly dissapear but stop working after that - which is the "bug" id underline here - it raped me in the windmills level (great level may i add) so yah - also why arent the flies always present? A gameplay thing? or just that not all game-object are simple enough to be able to be recorded dynamically?

3) disagreed - i found it as easy as in the preview - hung' low was easy enough to abuse and pff ode to bridge was also easy - i shall allow myself to insert the accusation of being a newcomer in game-playing popularly known as "noob" and slap that label on mr CS!

4) never crashed on me - always cheers for fixing alt+tab aka minimize-support - never failed me although sometimes it takes it a while to maximize back

NOW MY SUGGESTION which by that nature will be supirior to any of mr CS:

How about adding an option for every player that passed the whole game - to be able to choose the "skin" for The Goo Coorporation? I haven't found that option - havent rly looked in config.txt however.
So I would rly rly like to personally request that - i LOOVED the Information Super Highway and thus would rly enjoy having that look constantly in the Coorp builder despite the anoying music :P

Hope the 2dBoys are actly reading this...

Cheers for a great game - and UBER CHEERS for the open window for a sequal :D - would do and contribute anything to see that happen :D

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionjamie10/08/2008 - 14:13

The only thing I've found annoying is the inability to skip cutscenes you've seen before when you're replaying a level (at least esc, space, enter or the mouse buttons don't work).

Great game otherwise!  :)

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionMarius10/08/2008 - 15:12

I just found something that's kind of bugging me.
In the level where you 'scroll too far up', you can't replay it after you've finished the game, which means I can't get the OCD challenge for that level. This bugs me.

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionNotWorthy10/08/2008 - 15:17

[quote author=jamie link=topic=257.msg2111#msg2111 date=1223493203]
The only thing I've found annoying is the inability to skip cutscenes you've seen before when you're replaying a level (at least esc, space, enter or the mouse buttons don't work).

Great game otherwise!  :)

Heh, personally - i got really nice and deep into the atmo of the game - and replayed levels after passing the game JUST to SEE the cutscenes :D - but i guess ppl indeed differ - and you're probably speaking about maxing out on scores which i have not yet began to do in the full version

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionRobmonster10/08/2008 - 16:48

[quote author=CyberShadow link=topic=257.msg2075#msg2075 date=1223466237]

So:

1) From what it looks like, you solved the balls-draggable-through-walls bug by making the cursor release the ball automatically when you hit them against a wall hard enough. That's quite annoying, especially when it's a spiked wall - in the preview, you can't destroy a ball at all as long as you hold down the mouse button. Of course, the cause might be something else entirely, but it never happened in the preview.

I agree with that It's annoying to have your goo balls pop while you are dragging them onto your structure.

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionThe Unshaven10/13/2008 - 04:05

[quote author=CyberShadow link=topic=257.msg2075#msg2075 date=1223466237]
I agree with that It's annoying to have your goo balls pop while you are dragging them onto your structure.

Seconded.  Goo ball invulnerability while in the cursor would be helpful, as would some kind of visual cue for when they've 'fallen' from the cursor if you try to move them through a wall.  Either that or have the balls be 'stuck' on the other side of the barrier - so that if the cursor goes back through the impassable obstacle, it'll meet up with the ball again and have it still be 'in hand.'

- The Unshaven.

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionShinigami10/13/2008 - 06:30

1. Where's the button that makes you choose either red or green or any other specific kind of goo ball?
2. Where's the damn pause button? I can't move my cursor THAT fast on a screen THAT small!
3. Where's the restart button after the level has been finished? I screwed up with my finish, now I have to go back to world, choose the level again and re-view the enter screen??
4. Where's the OPTIONS menu?! Like resolution selection.
5. Do I use my magic code I received for the preview with steam?

Nope, did not finish the game. Was frustrated with 1-3 too much. Just played to the guy with balloons and can't complete it in 14 moves because:
- can't choose black when I need one, always get the damn red
- can't choose red when I need one, always get the damn black (what am I? a random number generator? or you buy the first car you see in the shop? or you marry the first female you see in your life? no choice but randomness???)
- can't pause the game so I can choose what I want.
The real reason - they always fall and sqack. When I try to put a balloon, I get a blackie, and when I try to put a blackie, I get a balloon! Super-annoying.

Also I'm sure its the same with Corporation - is there a button to make goo scatter? Didn't read manual, didn't get one with the game. And no option to make resolution higher either... at least not in game.

Thats all for the moment, the rest is yet to be found, or I like the way it is ;D

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionalexayers10/13/2008 - 09:21

First off I think the game is nearly flawless, but I agree with these posts too.

1. Having the ball drop because I bumped into a wall becomes really frustrating and happened a lot. I don't remember this ever happening during the preview so it must be the through wall fix.
2. Not being able to adjust the audio of the game without alt-tabbing to the desktop and lowering the system volume is annoying. The ability to adjust global volume, sfx volume, and music volume should be a standard option for any game.
3. Not being able to skip cut scenes.
4. The retry button not being present after you beat a level.
5. I like seeing the total number of balls I've gotten from the map, and the OCD flag, but I'd also like to be able to mouse over and find out with the OCD challenge is without having to load the level.

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionl3illyl3ob10/13/2008 - 20:32

If this is the same CyberShadow, he codes the Worms Armageddon patches and I think moderates the message board there, so he may know one of the 2d boy guys that way, and gotten the hookup from them.  Does either of them play Worms?

With that said, I certainly agree on point 1.  It's pretty frustrating to do something perfectly then accidentally move your mouse cursor close to some destructive object and have your goo ball get destroyed.  I guess that's what the time bugs are for, though.

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionCannibalBob10/16/2008 - 01:17

#2 (the part about time bugs disappearing when the 'continue' switch comes down) is VERY annoying.

I've been playing the demo and had no trouble pushing sleeping goos.

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionASCII10/16/2008 - 02:24

I agree with all of these comments.

The most important part for me is the idea of OCD after the games completion. There are several levels that were designed with the idea that the story will carry on after it is played. That's wonderful, but on the second runaround of that level, the cutscenes are still there, not just the intros, but some end scenes such as "you have unlocked the goo factory" cutscene. It is also annoying to have the level where you meet mom impossible to replay. How am I supposed to 100% the game if I can't go back to that level?

I LOVED the story and the first run through of everything. Absolutely flawless in my book. It is just the replay value that can be polished up on. Its all there, but it needs a few fix's and it is perfect!

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versiongoober00710/16/2008 - 07:59

My comments are specifically for the Wii:

1) Camera control.  When I'm building a structure on the Wii, there were many times that scrolling was very inefficient both veritcally and horizontally.

2) Ball movement. Some times navigating a ball around a bunch of walls can get old.  I'm not sure if this can be fixed.  Maybe if they could provide a teleport option for goo balls to a checkpoint or something?

3) Selection of goo balls.  When a structure of goo gets crowded with free goo balls, it can become difficult in selecting one.  The whistle helps some to get goo balls away from a heavily crowded area, but it can still get a little annoying.

I am really enjoying the game (in Ch. 3 now), and it's been one of the best games I've played in a while.  Well done!

Re: Frustrations and disappointments in final versionMarius10/16/2008 - 11:20

About your second point: If you're in chapter 3, you've already played Welcoming unit (Ch2). There they added the lane through which you can carry gooballs, which is extremely convenient. However, it can be abused with some effort, even though they tried to prevent this. This is often the case with dragging through walls; in the beta you could build in walls with some effort, which you could abuse to finish some levels easier.

All 'fixes' for this problem either make it really difficult to prevent unwanted building, or make it a little harder for the player to navigate. They went with the last option...