Widescreen support on PC version?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Widescreen support on PC version?DominicWhite10/11/2008 - 12:22

Hey, I'm one of those lucky few thousand that got their preorder copies the moment they started mailing them out. Absolutely loving the game, but I do have one gripe, that I do hope will be addressed in later patches:

There's no 16:10 support! A whole lot of people use widescreen monitors nowadays, and the game running fullscreen looks horribly stretched out and weird, in ways that this game shouldn't be weird. I'm running it windowed in the meantime, which fixes the problem to a degree, but I'd love to be able to run it properly widescreen.

I'm assuming the Wii version (being meant for TVs and all) will support 16:9, so any chance of 16:10 making it to the PC soon?

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?SplinterOfChaos10/11/2008 - 13:50

My nVidia driver or whatever it is has this option to display lower resolutions with fixed aspect ratio.

Control panel >  NVIDA nView Desktop Manager > Digital Flat Panel Settings
click fixed aspect ratio scaling.

Might be different for different cards/driver versions/etc. But, my basic message is if you look around, and maybe google your card, you might be able to fix the scaling issue.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?DominicWhite10/11/2008 - 13:57

I do have an Nvidia card, and that SHOULD work, but apparently my monitor is particularly finnicky about not scaling images to full.

Still, forcing 4:3 on this screen wouldn't be much better than running windowed. The Wii version will almost certainly have proper widescreen (there are very few non-widescreen games on it), so PC users should be extended the same courtesy.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?BlueAvatar10/12/2008 - 02:02

yeh, widescreen would be nice...

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?ron10/13/2008 - 00:24

hey guys, if you go to the directory where the game is installed, inside a directory called properties is a file called config.txt.  you can edit that file to specify the resolution you want the game to run in.  it doesn't work for all resolutions because we didn't have time to fully test this feature, so use at your own risk, and if it doesn't work right, return the values to 800x600.  we'll probably fix this feature in a future patch.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?linfosoma10/13/2008 - 20:47

I´ve tested running the game in 1440 x 900 (16:10 aspect ratio) and the game runs/looks great.

The only problem is that when you finish a level the lever to continue is off-screen. You can still click on it. Also the goo-counter at the end of the level is glitched, goo balls look too big.

Everything else (specially menu text and mouse cursor) looks way better.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?SinoK10/14/2008 - 02:09

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, fix the widescreen resolution problem.

I need to play @ 1680x1050!!!

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?damnation10/14/2008 - 06:31

[quote author=ron link=topic=299.msg2502#msg2502 date=1223875475]
hey guys, if you go to the directory where the game is installed, inside a directory called properties is a file called config.txt.  you can edit that file to specify the resolution you want the game to run in.  it doesn't work for all resolutions because we didn't have time to fully test this feature, so use at your own risk, and if it doesn't work right, return the values to 800x600.  we'll probably fix this feature in a future patch.

And when can we expcet this 1680x1050 to be implimented?

I was looking forward to this game, checked the steam forum and saw this 800x600 issue.  Whiist you can edit this in the config file to run at 1680x1050 I read you can't advance to next level? 

So now I shall not buy this game, staggering that in this day and age of widescreen LCD's, high end graphic cards like the 4870, dual and quad core cpu's, bucket loads of ram, yet the main option is 800x600 and the reply is " we'll probably fix this in a future patch".  "Probably" isn't good enough.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Jimlad10/14/2008 - 07:36

I too have a 1680x1050 native monitor, but I played through the game at 1280x800 with no real issues. It really doesn't make a difference guys, to be honest I doubt you'd be able to even tell the difference at that high resolution. This game isn't like it's all in 3D with sharp edges, so there aren't really any aliasing issues, and everything looks crystal clear whether you're running at native res or not.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Dirhael10/14/2008 - 08:44

[quote author=Jimlad link=topic=299.msg2668#msg2668 date=1223987793]
I too have a 1680x1050 native monitor, but I played through the game at 1280x800 with no real issues. It really doesn't make a difference guys, to be honest I doubt you'd be able to even tell the difference at that high resolution. This game isn't like it's all in 3D with sharp edges, so there aren't really any aliasing issues, and everything looks crystal clear whether you're running at native res or not.

There most certainly are very noticeable issues playing it in 1280x800 (clipped parts of the levels/gui and misplaced elements) and to say that everything looks crystal clear no matter the resolution is, well, wrong. It depends very much on your monitor, how well it deals with non-native resolutions varies wildly from model to model. Just because it looks right for you doesn't mean the same holds true for everyone else.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?herrozerro10/14/2008 - 08:57

Please dont forget us with 1900x1200

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Jimlad10/14/2008 - 09:30

[quote author=Dirhael link=topic=299.msg2683#msg2683 date=1223991880]
There most certainly are very noticeable issues playing it in 1280x800 (clipped parts of the levels/gui and misplaced elements) and to say that everything looks crystal clear no matter the resolution is, well, wrong. It depends very much on your monitor, how well it deals with non-native resolutions varies wildly from model to model. Just because it looks right for you doesn't mean the same holds true for everyone else.

Well in that case, I'd be very curious to see these issues, since I barely noticed anything while I was playing. Exactly what do you mean? All I saw was that the end-level pull cord was out of place, and the end-level goo tube didn't fill quite right.

What happens on your monitor when it tries to scale that isn't happening on mine? The edges of most objects in the game are rounded by design and there's some natural dithering no matter what resolution you run at, so I find it hard to believe you'd notice a big difference between native and non-native high resolutions. I'm not arguing you wouldn't notice a difference in some other programs, but in the case of World of Goo, the art design should preclude any significant pixelation or dithering incurred by running non-native. There should technically be a difference, but surely not enough for there to be a perceptive problem.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Dirhael10/14/2008 - 10:04

[quote author=Jimlad link=topic=299.msg2690#msg2690 date=1223994643]
[quote author=Dirhael link=topic=299.msg2683#msg2683 date=1223991880]

Well in that case, I'd be very curious to see these issues, since I barely noticed anything while I was playing. Exactly what do you mean? All I saw was that the end-level pull cord was out of place, and the end-level goo tube didn't fill quite right.

What happens on your monitor when it tries to scale that isn't happening on mine? The edges of most objects in the game are rounded by design and there's some natural dithering no matter what resolution you run at, so I find it hard to believe you'd notice a big difference between native and non-native high resolutions. I'm not arguing you wouldn't notice a difference in some other programs, but in the case of World of Goo, the art design should preclude any significant pixelation or dithering incurred by running non-native. There should technically be a difference, but surely not enough for there to be a perceptive problem.

Those two problems are the most noticable ones, but I seem to recall clipped text as well when I was trying different resolutions (could be that this was happening when I tried 1280x720 instead of x800). These problems aren't bad enough to make it unplayable at all (unless you increase the vertical res further), but it certainly is noticable even though it probably won't bother everyone.

As for the quality of non-native resolutions, the image is quite blurry (very noticable with the lines that shows when trying to connect goo) and have less clear colors and contrast compared to how it looks in my monitors native 1680x1050. Also, scaling a 4:3 image to 16:10 makes the image distorted in that round objects no longer are just that.

Now I'm still enjoying the game immensely, but I would enjoy it even more at a native res.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Jimlad10/14/2008 - 11:01

Hang on, now I'm totally confused... you're scaling a 4:3 image to 16:10? Why would it do that if you've entered a widescreen resolution?

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Dirhael10/14/2008 - 12:49

[quote author=Jimlad link=topic=299.msg2708#msg2708 date=1224000085]
Hang on, now I'm totally confused... you're scaling a 4:3 image to 16:10? Why would it do that if you've entered a widescreen resolution?

The 4:3 -> 16:10 is a problem if running in the default resolution, and the rest of the quality problems occurs no matter what (outside of the native res which is unplayable for the reasons I've already mentioned).

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Cazzie10/14/2008 - 14:29

[quote author=herrozerro link=topic=299.msg2684#msg2684 date=1223992660]
Please dont forget us with 1900x1200

Same here <3
To be honest I don't mind it being stretched, it still looks pretty slick. My mouse was a little unwieldy at first but I'm already used to it.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?DominicWhite10/14/2008 - 14:39

I just tried out the little config tweak, and I'm happy to report that (for the most part) it gives me a razor sharp 1440 x 900 image at the right aspect ratio.

There are some glitches as mentioned, though. The UI has some minor scaling problems. Nothing to get in the way of gameplay, but it looks weird.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?kayinangel10/15/2008 - 19:30

with nvidia control panel (for nvidia card of course) set to fixed aspect ratio fixes the stretched scaling of the default 800x600 pixel format.

for me, changing the config to 1680 x 1050 looks great, but causes the unfortunate issue of the end level pull lever to render off screen, towards the bottom, making it un-pullable and unable to finish the level. 1280 x 800 is playable but it still renders the lever towards the bottom. Seems anything higher then that causes it (for me at least)

a shame, because it looks even more awesome when its not scaling up from the lower resolution.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?Operational10/20/2008 - 00:52

I've got a widescreen monitor.  At the moment I run WOG with black bars on the sides (to keep the games aspect ratio correct) but I would like to see the game take advantage of the extra space.

Re: Widescreen support on PC version?sensei_deano10/30/2008 - 07:16

Just bought this game within the last couple of hours and tried playing it on my 22 inch monitor at the native resolution of 1680x1050.

The graphics and writing on the screen are stretched out beyond the boundaries of the screen itself so I cannot read part of the writing, and also the continue button bug etc.

After hearing so many great things about the game I do not wish to spoil it by playing it at 800x600 on a reasonably large monitor, so I will now be leaving it untouched until the problem is fixed.

As previously said, a "probable" fix does not cut the mustard, this needs sorting guys!  Quite a shame as I was looking forward to enjoying the game as it should be enjoyed.

Last modified Thu, 10/30/2008 - 07:19 by sensei_deano