OCD mode would be nice

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
OCD mode would be nicejoel10/14/2008 - 07:54

Awesome game, more replay value than anything in years :)

I'd like to suggest an OCD-friendly mode, perhaps as a profile setting, or even just available upon completion of the game first time through. It would do the following:

- all story sequences immediately click-to-skippable (currently, first time they're shown in a session they're not?)
- all levels start as if I just hit Retry (ie. no scenic introduction)
- all Sign Painter signs are set as if they've already been read (ie. no pulsing exclamations)
- goal display shows the OCD target instead of the normal target
- Retry button always available (even if the OCD goal is reached)
- score display shows moves, time, or goos depending on the goal (in fact, all three would be nice, in case we're trying for other challenges than official OCD)

Re: OCD mode would be niceMarius10/14/2008 - 08:15

This sounds good. You've got my vote :)

Re: OCD mode would be niceJimlad10/14/2008 - 08:41

Yeah this really makes sense, I actually thought this when I first started trying to get OCDs. At the moment it can be a bit of a pain, especially when you complete the original objective and can't restart/use flies any more.

Re: OCD mode would be niceTheChosenOne10/14/2008 - 15:59

I agree with all the points ofcourse but mainly the the retry/replayability(?) of the levels to get the OCD's is annoying.

Re: OCD mode would be niceVark10/14/2008 - 16:14

I think you should have to go through the entire game, getting flawless OCDs at every level or having to restart the whole game if you mess one up.

Oh; hold on - that was supposed to be a Counter Example to what constitutes good gameplay...

Oh; hold on again; I'm talking to my lawyer about this now. Seems there's a thing about the thing. Yeah? Right - I see.

Well; Seems that 2D Boy actually hold all the cards on this one. And that's all I have to say about it.

V

Re: OCD mode would be nicecharon1210/14/2008 - 19:19

I like this suggestion that was made on the suggestion board. Everything makes sense and would be useful when going for OCD.

Re: OCD mode would be nicenabla10/15/2008 - 07:52

Not mentioned in the original post:

- time bugs should be available all the way through

Apart from the long wait times the absence of time bugs after reaching the normal goal was probably the most annoying thing when going for OCD.

Re: OCD mode would be nicelinfosoma10/15/2008 - 17:20

I totally support all the points listed in the first post.

I dont understand why the retry button goes away and why I cant just skip the level intro once I´ve seen it (more than 45 times).

Thank you for making the suggestion.

Re: OCD mode would be niceMarius10/16/2008 - 03:39

I just click a signpainter sign, after which you can press esc -> retry again...

Re: OCD mode would be niceCazzie10/16/2008 - 08:12

I agree with joel's post and I don't think it would be too much to ask for this to be added into a patch.

Re: OCD mode would be nicemiloserus10/17/2008 - 12:20

I totally agree with joel's post

Re: OCD mode would be niceChetyre10/17/2008 - 16:03

I agree.

Re: OCD mode would be niceOperational10/20/2008 - 00:41

I also agree.

Re: OCD mode would be niceNightCabbage10/20/2008 - 01:03

I think this is a good idea - but am not sure if we need a whole new mode for it...

In most cases, the features can be added into the normal game, as most of them should be there anyway :)

Re: OCD mode would be niceOperational10/20/2008 - 04:19

Well instead of a mode many of the features people want could be automatically activated when you re-do a level you have already finished before.

Re: OCD mode would be niceinf3kt10/23/2008 - 06:23

great idea.

Re: OCD mode would be nice*VeLeRoN*10/25/2008 - 14:20

I'm all for it!

Re: OCD mode would be nicegemedet11/01/2008 - 07:44

seconded, thirded, fourthed, whatever....this would be great, with two extra suggestions:

- hotkey for restarting a level. instead of hitting "escape" and then moving the cursor to hit "replay", just be able to hit a single key (like "R" or something) to restart the level.

- ability to view all personal bests from the map, not just number collected. like, right-clicking on the level displays extra info about it or something (including OCD requirements).

Re: OCD mode would be niceSharpie12911/04/2008 - 10:03

[quote author=Marius link=topic=348.msg3078#msg3078 date=1224146397]
I just click a signpainter sign, after which you can press esc -> retry again...

You can do that? Sweet... I'm so tired of not having a retry on Super Fuse... 

Re: OCD mode would be niceAlweth11/22/2008 - 23:58

I vote for this too.  This is not a major feature but would make the game much more fun.

Re: OCD mode would be niceZeroByte12/03/2008 - 02:21

/signed

Definitely great additions. The unavoidable dead time gets old when trying for OCD.

Another couple of suggestions to pile onto this thread:
(Will post seperately as well, but since I agreed with this SO much I wanted to include them here as well)

The ability to pick up multiple goo balls at once - once a second goo is picked up, the only option is to put them down somewhere. This would come in so handy for some levels where you disconnect a tiny piece and move it somewhere, and are then forced through the tedium of moving 50+ goo balls one at a time. ARGH that part sucks so bad, ESPECIALLY over long distances, such as Long, Bony Road. (This is what made me quit the game and come here to post a suggestion) Perhaps holding down right-mouse should act as a "shift" function where each click adds a goo to the growing wad of goo that you're collecting.

Other hotkeys on the keyboard should give priority for type of goo ball the cursor will select when trying to pick up stuff from a giant pile of goo. (e.g. hold down the 1 key to prefer balloons, 2 for green goos, 3 for goos already in the structure (e.g. green ones or the black ones on Corporation/Rec Park), 4 for whatever sort of special goo is there such as the spiney or skull goo, 5 for matchstick goos, etc.

Re: OCD mode would be niceslab12/07/2008 - 19:35

Working my way through the OCDs myself, I have to agree.

Trying for some of the OCDs is pretty irritating: for instance, Genetic Sorting Machine has as an OCD 24-moves-or-less, but you don't get a move count. Ever. Completing the level gives you a cutscene, and mousing over it in the level selection just tells you how many balls were collected, so it's hard to tell how close you got with a particular strategy.

Not being able to just 'retry' without leaving the level is annoying, too, particularly on Super Fuse Challenge Time.

Re: OCD mode would be nicedonblas12/30/2008 - 16:21

Bumped for great justice.

Re: OCD mode would be nicebenjaminjsanders01/25/2009 - 10:45

While a lot of suggestions have been made, I agree with the original post and the flies suggestion the most strongly.

Re: OCD mode would be niceKissaki01/27/2009 - 13:01

good points.
intros/videos should ALWAYS! be skipable!

Re: OCD mode would be nicewea002/22/2009 - 22:43

Cutscenes really need to be skippable (at least if you are watching them for the second time).
Also the retry button should always be available, even if you have already reached the exit.

Those two features should always be available during normal gameplay, not only in an extra mode!

Re: OCD mode would be niceTorrunt03/09/2009 - 06:45

/signed

They may only be little things but they get more and more annoying every time you try to get a OCD.

Re: OCD mode would be nicedakira03/18/2009 - 19:18

I totally want this, too!

Re: OCD mode would be niceStickybomb6703/19/2009 - 16:37

Oh my gravy, joel is a genius. Not only would this decrease the FF (Frustration Factor :)), but it would also encourage more gameplay. ;D I think that this is one of the few flaws in Kyle and Ron's near-perfect game and we should definitely mail the genius creators about this. :)
Thanks, [shadow=red,left]joel[/shadow]!