select-already-placed-goo mode

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
select-already-placed-goo modezenpunk10/15/2008 - 10:44

Love the game!  Great job!

The one thing that infuriates me tho, is trying to select an already-placed goo when there are dozens of still moving goos floating around and above the one I want to get.  I'd love to have a key to hold, or right mouse or sumthin, where you only grab non-moving goos.

Other than that, having big fun working through the levels.  That one frustration does make my blood pressure go up a few points tho... I think a way to not select moving goo would make your game *much* more enjoyable.

Thanks.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modepkt-zer010/15/2008 - 15:47

Not only that, some way to select different types of Goo would be nice. So, for instance, right click could be used to cycle between the already placed vine Goo and the two other types of Goo wandering in the vicinity.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeCannibalBob10/16/2008 - 01:10

After making a mistake of putting a goo as part of a bridge instead of putting it to roam on the bridge, I say there should definitely be a key or toggle that switches between building bridge/selecting bridge goos and placing goos on bridges/selecting free-roaming goos.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeKlaste10/16/2008 - 01:51

Easy solution: Right click selects building pieces, left click selects free balls. Maybe have a little hud on the bottom with all the types of goo on the current level, splayed horizontally, and let you click one of them - your cursor will prefer that type.

This is incredibly frustrating, for me, as well.. especially on maps such as Product Launch, when I'm trying to get very few moves, but I cant get to the damned pieces.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeASCII10/16/2008 - 02:15

I agree with all of this. Especially when trying to build up a large tower in the sandbox mode, it is impossible to try to break a part of my tower off before it falls over because I cant accurately grab my structure parts. Its almost as if sometimes they take less priority than the roaming goos!

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeDil99910/16/2008 - 02:21

This was discussed a lot during the beta.  The final word from kyle was that he wanted to keep the game as simple and accessible as possible, and that meant using only the mouse and 1 click (some people on macs don't have two different clicks, he argued)

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeVark10/16/2008 - 04:00

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=397.msg3062#msg3062 date=1224141662]
This was discussed a lot during the beta.  The final word from kyle was that he wanted to keep the game as simple and accessible as possible, and that meant using only the mouse and 1 click (some people on macs don't have two different clicks, he argued)

I agree with Kyle's decision to keep it simple and accessible. That's worth a lot. And yeah, assuming a second mouse button (or even a mouse? Did someone say Wii?) is just not a solution.

But at some point you have to look at all the feedback which is coming in about a) selecting the goo you want b) high resolution display and c) replaying a level after hitting the target, and wonder if maybe user feedback is telling you something you need to listen to.

I suspect that we users are all wrong about what it is we think we want. But those three themes are so recurrant that they need to be listened to all the same.

V

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeonlinetimc10/16/2008 - 04:08

How about a wii shake to scare the little loves out the way!  Fits into the wii gesture usability and would be the same on the mouse.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeThe Happy Friar10/16/2008 - 08:16

i'm against this because it makes it to easy.  Right now you have to be relatively careful what you build because the goo will attach.  You can also make separate structures for the goo's so they don't bother you at all.  but the option to not deal with the current situation of a flood of goo would make it to easy.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeVark10/16/2008 - 08:55

[quote author=The Happy Friar link=topic=397.msg3112#msg3112 date=1224163008]...  but the option to not deal with the current situation of a flood of goo would make it to easy.

When a game tells me that I can only do what I want to do by repeatedly clicking the same place and hoping that (randomly) the intent of my click is realised..

Factor some kind of time-constraint into that.

Well that gets pretty old very quick.

Is making something 'too easy' making it less or more playable?

V

Re: select-already-placed-goo modemartinarcand110/16/2008 - 11:14

[quote author=Vark link=topic=397.msg3082#msg3082 date=1224147605]

I agree with Kyle's decision to keep it simple and accessible. That's worth a lot. And yeah, assuming a second mouse button (or even a mouse? Did someone say Wii?) is just not a solution.

But at some point you have to look at all the feedback which is coming in about a) selecting the goo you want b) high resolution display and c) replaying a level after hitting the target, and wonder if maybe user feedback is telling you something you need to listen to.

I suspect that we users are all wrong about what it is we think we want. But those three themes are so recurrant that they need to be listened to all the same.

V

The Wii has the "a" and "b" button conveniently placed on your grip so that wouldn't be a problem :D

Re: select-already-placed-goo modepkt-zer010/16/2008 - 12:00

It's not a mandatory function, just an optional one. (You can finish the game without it, after all) If you can get the features to work with only one button, then hey, go for it. No need to cut said features entirely even if you can't, though.

And you're assuming a pointing device already, wasn't that the reason the game's not coming to XBLA/PSN?

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeKass10/16/2008 - 18:17

Although mac users can't right click, they can ctrl+click, which pretty much does the same thing.
I'd really like to see this feature or something similar, because like I said in another thread, it's REALLY annoying trying to adjust a structure with all the other goo balls swarming around. I've spent up to 5 minutes just trying to move a single piece.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeRack10/18/2008 - 02:13

I have to say this is a feature that would really add a lot. The idea to try to make the game accessible is admirable but misguided. The level of precision needed to play WoG is so high as to render it an entirely moot point, and the decision to cater to people scared by multiple buttons need not negatively impact on those who want a bit more control. By all means keep the current system, but additionally giving more flexibility to people who are prepared to use a second mouse button would only be good. My idea would be pressing the right mouse button (or b or ctrl) toggles between varying kinds of goo, but only until a goo is placed, or the mouse is moved more than 10 pixels or so.

If they want accessibility then there's a need for keyboard controls, slow motion mode, and easy mode.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeSvish10/19/2008 - 06:36

Left button: Only moving goo
Right button: Only stuck goo

That would do it for me. Would be SO much more fun to play if that was the case. Still challenging building wise, more fun, but less frustration!

(Like on the corporation thingy, building fast, and suddenly you get a very important structure goo instead of the moving goo you were aiming for...)

Re: select-already-placed-goo modewarrscott10/19/2008 - 11:26

I'm sorry, I don't really see this as much of an issue: I've played through almost the entire game now, and have only had this problem once, and I was admittedly in too much of a hurry.

I am playing the Wii version, so maybe it's a little different, but I just don't see what the problem is: the goo that your cursor is over stops moving and waits to be selected, correct? So you don't have to blindly start plucking balls off your structure before you know you have the right one or not: if you're not sure, just move your cursor a hair and see if it moves or not, then grab it again. If there are too many in the area, just whistle further away to get them out of your way... Again, I don't know if the versions are different, maybe that's what is going on here, and I don't want to hurt any feelings, but I would rather have 2dboy working on other enhancements than a mode that isn't really needed... :-\

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeSvish10/19/2008 - 12:08

problem is when you have to build fast. for example when you have two tall towers that you have to connect quickly before they miss each other and crash...

and im not saying it is not playable like it is now. just that it would be a LOT less frustrating, which would mean that it would be more fun.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeBayes10/19/2008 - 20:04

If it a question of keeping it simple, just add an option so that us power users can enable it. If you really don't want to implement an options screen than you could make it a setting in an ini or similar config file.

Re: select-already-placed-goo modeLovok10/21/2008 - 07:06

I registered specifically for to mention I would also like this sort of option/system/ini config.