Couple Suggestions from Demo

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Couple Suggestions from DemoCannibalBob10/16/2008 - 17:58

Hey I've been playing the demo (don't know if it's fundamentally different from the retail, but I digress) and have come up with a couple suggestions.  So far I've earned OCD on all but 2 levels (the last 2) on Chapter 1.

Trying to earn OCD can be frustrating.  Figuring out how to do it is fun but going for speed and precision is difficult.  On some levels, you have to build fast and far, and some of the game's weaknesses show.  [glow=red,2,300]Here goes[/glow]:

[li]*It's difficult to grab different types of goos.  I suggest a new option, where holding 1, 2, 3, etc. and clicking will only grab goo type 1, 2, 3, etc.[/li]
    [li]*Bridges covered in goo make grabbing bridge members difficult (the green ones that are part of a bridge).  I suggest a toggle key (or LMB and RMB), where holding one button only grabs free goos/drops them, and the other key grabs bridge members/builds bridges.[/li]
    [li]*Sometimes time bugs get in the way and I'll accidentally click them.  Annoying.  I suggest removing time bugs and making it a key: Press T or something and it goes back in time.  You can keep the animations by making time bugs fly up to a hud so you can see how many you have left.[/li]
    [li]*A pause button would be awesome.  Press space and the game pauses, but you can still move a goo around or something.[/li]
    [li]*Finding the optimal distance to place a goo to become a bridge is difficult.  I suggest holding a key and you can only move the goo in optimal/buildable areas.  If you don't hold the key, than things work like before[/li]

edit: I want to add that I noticed the dev wants to keep the game simple and I support that, but for those trying to earn the OCDs, the simplicity is a hindrance.  So I suggest the dev adds some options allowing more precision to the interface.

Last modified Thu, 10/16/2008 - 18:01 by CannibalBob
Re: Couple Suggestions from DemoCannibalBob10/17/2008 - 15:35

Personally I think the game isn't about "I lost because I messed up by building a bridge piece where I didn't want it" but rather "I lost because my design wasn't good".  I see the game as a design challenge.

Re: Couple Suggestions from DemoThe Happy Friar10/17/2008 - 20:21

[quote author=CannibalBob link=topic=434.msg3364#msg3364 date=1224275742]
I see the game as a design challenge.

^^^ what he said.  if the game was easy it wouldn't be fun.

Re: Couple Suggestions from Demojrodman11/29/2008 - 12:32

I agree, it is a design problem.  Making it easier to avoid micro-mistakes would make the game stronger.

Undo, better indicatino of lines at the extremity, ability to slow down the game would all be possible remedies.  I don't advocate any particular one.

Re: Couple Suggestions from Demoklaus11/30/2008 - 14:50

Quite frankly, I disagree on all counts. I really love the game as it is - very simple UI, needing a bit of practice (curiously).

One thing I found, which might be a tiiiiiny improvement: on the last levels, the background is light yellow, and the connection plan lines are white. Perhaps I simply have a color problem, but it would be nice of there would somehow be more contrast...