Smarten the goo and the cursor

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Smarten the goo and the cursorShaamaan10/17/2008 - 09:32

(I shall stop praising this game for this post simply to save database space; I could otherwise be accused of spamming. To keep it short: Game is awesome!)

Now, I'm sure you've all noticed that forming new goo connections doesn't always work as well as you want it to. Either it will connect to the wrong goo, or it will make a connecting line (Why does this use a goo ball anyway?)... And then you're stuck with it.

I admit, I have no idea how to solve this issue, other that say "make the goo smarter".

In the following situation:
   '
X' ' 'X
   X
Where X's represent Goo and dots represent 'placing' of a new goo ball, the system should work like this:
Top dot: a connecting line is formed.
Bottom from left: Connects left goo with bottom goo; connects left goo with right goo, connects bottom goo with right goo.

I hope I've made that clear.

Also, if you misplace a "reusable" goo (green for example), it's sometimes very difficult to pick it up again due to all the other goo in the way. The flute works only if you can send the goo (far) away, which isn't always an option. A simple solution would be to have the right mouse click try to pick up only already connected goo balls.

So... what do you think of my gooey suggestion?  ;)

Re: Smarten the goo and the cursorDamon F10/17/2008 - 12:12

Isn't it part of the gameplay that sometimes you "mess up" when connecting Goo?  Like, sometimes you die in Space Invaders?

Re: Smarten the goo and the cursorShaamaan10/17/2008 - 12:36

I don't mind messing up because I did something wrong. But when the goo goes random, it's a bit awkward.

Re: Smarten the goo and the cursorrobosatan10/18/2008 - 11:00

Agree completely with the original post. I know exactly where I want to place my goo but it just doesnt want to listen. Perhaps adding a key modifier or something so you can place cross beams would be handy.

Re: Smarten the goo and the cursorinf3kt10/23/2008 - 06:30

[quote author=robosatan link=topic=450.msg3502#msg3502 date=1224345607]
Perhaps adding a key modifier or something so you can place cross beams would be handy.

totally agree with this suggestion, like when you are holding a goo in the air use left/right to toggle through the available connections. this would be too handy in the goo corp.

Re: Smarten the goo and the cursorAlux10/24/2008 - 00:43

[quote author=inf3kt link=topic=450.msg4092#msg4092 date=1224761412]
[quote author=robosatan link=topic=450.msg3502#msg3502 date=1224345607]
Perhaps adding a key modifier or something so you can place cross beams would be handy.

totally agree with this suggestion, like when you are holding a goo in the air use left/right to toggle through the available connections. this would be too handy in the goo corp.

I disagree. This would make it too easy to do some challenges which require precision. Also, taking time to change connections would take way to long if the OCD is time based.

and also, I <3 the 1 handed gameplay. So if this was to happen, make it right click.