Wasted Goo

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Wasted GooNightCabbage10/19/2008 - 18:33

I've noticed the problem, mainly in the Goo Corp tower building part...

Say if you're building a triangle, and you have this:
<br />  .  .<br /> / \ / \<br />.___.___.<br />

It only lets you use your next goo like this:
<br />  .___.<br /> / \ / \<br />.___.___.<br />

So your next goo doesn't actually get you a node - just a connection.

Also, if you have a giant triagle (like above, but must more complex) and you remove some goo from the bottom, you'll end up with less goo than you started with.

This is because different placement of your goo gives you a different number of connections, and sometimes (as above) not even a node.

Perhaps each goo shouln't have a limit of connections? (current limit is 2)?

Maybe the black goo should be like the green goo, being able to connect with 3 or so other nodes?

Re: Wasted GooMarius10/19/2008 - 19:29

If you remove one of the nodes surrounding the connection-goo, you'll get the node back, as well as the connection goo. No goo is lost.
The reason you seem to have less goos when you remove the bottom layer of a triangle is that, first, your triangle was resting on a layer of small triangles, but now, your triangle is resting on a line of connecting goos, then a layer of small triangles.

Try deleting the whole triangle again. You'll have the same amount of goo you started with.

Re: Wasted GooNightCabbage10/19/2008 - 22:20

This is true :)

But I was thinking that if you delete a node with more than 2 connections, you can never get those connections back, unless you start from scratch.

(because they have a connection limit of 2 per node, but the node may have previous been connected to 6)

Re: Wasted GooOperational10/20/2008 - 00:32

You get those back too.

Re: Wasted GooNightCabbage10/20/2008 - 01:05

Ya I know you get them back if you take all the goo apart... but I mean that if you take a node out that has 6 connections, you can never put it back with that many connections - you only get 2 connections.

So if you make one tiny mistake with your tower, you have to disassemble the entire thing and start again, to replace your missing connections.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? lol :)
(maybe I'm just picky)

Re: Wasted GooOperational10/20/2008 - 04:16

Ah okay, I get what you are saying now.  I don't think there is anything that could be done without changing the mechanics of the goo towers too much (3 connections or more would allow much more stable towers).

Re: Wasted GooMarius10/20/2008 - 04:47

Yeah but that's a gameplay element. Some balls make 2 connections, some make 3. Then there are balls that make 1. Or 4. That shouldn't change.

Re: Wasted GooNightCabbage10/20/2008 - 06:31

I guess I'd just prefer it if the world of goo corp tower was made out of green goo instead of black goo :)

Re: Wasted GooMarius10/20/2008 - 10:09

Me too. Green goo is ideal for creating internal tension/pressure. But the goos that are sent there seem to have lost their essence (although it's nice to see them again!).