In-game options menu

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
In-game options menuWishbone11/02/2008 - 14:07

I looked through the forum, and though lots of people have requested settings for lots of different things, there wasn't any thread that addressed the general shortcoming that there is no in-game options menu!

This is not good, 2DBoy. Even the lowliest, open-source, one-man-development-team, freeware game gives its users some kind of in-game options, even if it's only an on/off switch for the sound. And World of Goo is so polished and professional in all other aspects of the game.

Regarding which settings should be present, I have a few suggestions:

[li]Sound volume slider[/li]
    [li]Music volume slider[/li]
    [li]Screen resolution[/li]
    [li]Fullscreen on/off (yes, I know alt+enter will do the same)[/li]
    [li]Key mapping (if you do decide to implement more advanced controls, such as key scrolling and separate mouse buttons for picking up free/bound Goo balls)[/li]

Am I alone in thinking the lack of in-game options is a serious shortcoming?

Re: In-game options menuTroute11/04/2008 - 05:58

The only option I'm missing is the option to toggle/adjust the volume of the music, though it's hardly a big concern, because the music is so great. :)

Re: In-game options menuSinoK11/04/2008 - 08:09

[quote author=Wishbone link=topic=683.msg4963#msg4963 date=1225652878]
I looked through the forum, and though lots of people have requested settings for lots of different things, there wasn't any thread that addressed the general shortcoming that there is no in-game options menu!

This is not good, 2DBoy. Even the lowliest, open-source, one-man-development-team, freeware game gives its users some kind of in-game options, even if it's only an on/off switch for the sound. And World of Goo is so polished and professional in all other aspects of the game.

Regarding which settings should be present, I have a few suggestions:

[li]Sound volume slider[/li]
    [li]Music volume slider[/li]
    [li]Screen resolution[/li]
    [li]Fullscreen on/off (yes, I know alt+enter will do the same)[/li]
    [li]Key mapping (if you do decide to implement more advanced controls, such as key scrolling and separate mouse buttons for picking up free/bound Goo balls)[/li]

Am I alone in thinking the lack of in-game options is a serious shortcoming?

GREAT suggestion. I would add:

"Hability to change language in-game""Hability to change brightness/contrast in-game"

Re: In-game options menuThe Happy Friar11/04/2008 - 08:25

i don't see this necessary, usefull or a good use of dev time.

*changing res doesn't work for all people so why add it an an official supported feature
*volume isn't a big deal.  When I want it down/off I change the volume on my speakers/headphones, and I do NOT know anyone who doesn't do that vs changing the ingame volumes.  Plus the music doesn't interfere with the game sounds, so no reason to lower that.
*game can have issues changing between full/window, so why add the option that would cause problems.
*there's no key's to map.  If you argue that someone is using a windows mouse left handed, windows gives you the option to flip all mouse controls & that person will of either done that or gotten use to clicking the left button.
*it's a really "simple" game, no simple programs let you choose options that don't help use of the program.  It's $20.  It does precisely what it's designed to do, no extra junk to muck things up.

Re: In-game options menuWishbone11/06/2008 - 13:59

[quote author=The Happy Friar link=topic=683.msg5115#msg5115 date=1225805113]
*changing res doesn't work for all people so why add it an an official supported feature

Here's a thought: Make it work! It's already an option, it's just hard to get at. They even fixed some of the issues with it in the latest version.
*volume isn't a big deal.  When I want it down/off I change the volume on my speakers/headphones, and I do NOT know anyone who doesn't do that vs changing the ingame volumes.  Plus the music doesn't interfere with the game sounds, so no reason to lower that.

Some people might want to listen to their own music while playing. Or want to hear the Goo-ball voices better, once the profanity pack hits the fan.
*game can have issues changing between full/window, so why add the option that would cause problems.

Since the function already exists (alt+enter), but is buggy, the answer is, once again, to fix the bugs rather than pretend the function isn't there.
*there's no key's to map.  If you argue that someone is using a windows mouse left handed, windows gives you the option to flip all mouse controls & that person will of either done that or gotten use to clicking the left button.

No, I argue that other suggestions have included being able to move the camera using the keyboard, among other things. That is why I wrote "if you do decide to implement more advanced controls, such as key scrolling and separate mouse buttons for picking up free/bound Goo balls".
*it's a really "simple" game, no simple programs let you choose options that don't help use of the program.  It's $20.  It does precisely what it's designed to do, no extra junk to muck things up.

Well, it's your opinion that more options wouldn't help use of the program. I beg to differ.

Re: In-game options menuxzist11/12/2008 - 11:59

In game menu is a must. For some reason the volume of the music in game has always been ridiculously loud for me. Since about a week ago I've also grown sick of hearing the same music over and over. Sure, the music is great, but I really wish I could listen to my own. I actually come on this forum to look if there was a way to disable the music. Is there? Anyway, an in game options menu is a must.

Re: In-game options menuWillM11/13/2008 - 18:41

This options menu would not be a waste of time, I want to be able to hear people in vent or my own music. Also why can't the resolution bug just be fixed?

Re: In-game options menudavidc11/13/2008 - 19:47

[quote author=WillM link=topic=683.msg5775#msg5775 date=1226619671]
This options menu would not be a waste of time, I want to be able to hear people in vent or my own music. Also why can't the resolution bug just be fixed?

Why do you all care so much about resolution? It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. The graphics were designed for 800x600, playing it in a higher resolution gains you virtually nothing (besides slightly better antialiasing) because the source graphics are the same. And you can't zoom out so it's not a matter of seeing more. My monitor is 1920x1200 and I'm perfectly happy running 800x600, it looks exactly the same as when I run it at 1600x1200.

Re: In-game options menuWillM11/14/2008 - 04:49

I do not care about resolution, but it can be fixed.

I care about sound, I want to turn it off or down. I am considering going to the trouble of replacing all the sound files will empty files, though I have no idea how to make .ogg sound files.

Re: In-game options menuColcut11/15/2008 - 02:33

For the love of god. Add an ingame menu with volume control.

I have vent open at the same time so i can talk to good mates. If they shout (vent is at maximum volume possible), it sounds like whispers relative to the game music. Its soo bad i actually opened an audio program and physically reduced the volume of each and every sound track. For a game people pay money for, you should not have to do this its ridiculous. Tbo i cant believe they released a game without a volume setting.

Re: In-game options menudavidc11/15/2008 - 02:45

[quote author=Colcut link=topic=683.msg5855#msg5855 date=1226734394]
For the love of god. Add an ingame menu with volume control.

I have vent open at the same time so i can talk to good mates. If they shout (vent is at maximum volume possible), it sounds like whispers relative to the game music. Its soo bad i actually opened an audio program and physically reduced the volume of each and every sound track. For a game people pay money for, you should not have to do this its ridiculous. Tbo i cant believe they released a game without a volume setting.

I don't want to make excuses, but if you run Vista you can control the volume of individual programs by going to the mixer (double click on volume icon on taskbar). Doesn't work for XP though.

I'm considering adding a volume control to GooTool but I think that might be a little too much for too little gain, plus you wouldn't be able to change it in-game.

Re: In-game options menuColcut11/16/2008 - 03:35

well even if you add a command prompt, tbo im happy to change nearly any option, even if i have to plow through text files. Yeah i know, only 1 comp has vista. Chews up too much ram for my taste, waiting to see how bad windows 7 is. Unfortunately the vista computer is used by a deaf family member, so useless lol.

Bit annoyed i hate to change the games music files, but atleast it was possible. apparently in the sound api theres already a volume control, just need a link or something to that effect. <-- Games programmer friend, no experience with it personally.
willm, download audacity (free but unfortunately apple based). From there you can record silence using a mic. export as ogg into the game directory with the same name as the sound file you wish to replace. x amount of sound files later done.
If the game checks sound files in some way, you may have a problem (works fine when i modified all volumes by -10 decibels).

in my modification, there is a size difference, so looks fine.

Apart from that, Wonderful game!

Re: In-game options menuJazz Ad11/16/2008 - 19:17

[quote author=davidc link=topic=683.msg5780#msg5780 date=1226623634]Why do you all care so much about resolution? It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. The graphics were designed for 800x600, playing it in a higher resolution gains you virtually nothing (besides slightly better antialiasing) because the source graphics are the same. And you can't zoom out so it's not a matter of seeing more. My monitor is 1920x1200 and I'm perfectly happy running 800x600, it looks exactly the same as when I run it at 1600x1200.
Image on TFT monitors looks much better in native resolution. This game is no exception.

Re: In-game options menuFigBug11/21/2008 - 09:39

Please, please, please let me adjust the volume.

Re: In-game options menuSeacanyon05/29/2010 - 23:02

For god's sake, add a volume control & mute.  I like to play silly shooters and such while listening to NPR -- that's what I had in mind when I bought this.  Right now, I'm feeling burned.  I really though this one had more professional design than this, given the reviews.

Re: In-game options menuSoultaker05/30/2010 - 12:27

If you care enough, you can install my volume control thingy via Gootool.

Re: In-game options menuGMMan06/05/2010 - 21:06

I think they had WiiWare in mind when they designed the game. You can use your TV remote to change the volume.

Re: In-game options menuWrelbyrd10/22/2010 - 08:05

+1 for an ingame options menu

Re: In-game options menuVileLasagna11/29/2010 - 06:01

Saw this game once and been dying to give it a go. Bought it today and very first thing I did was look for the options menu.
This game is indeed very well polished but not having a menu makes it look a bit less like such. For instance, the forced native resolution is not being properly interpreted on my setup so I am experiencing clipping on the outer borders. Nothing that will hinder gameplay but seeing words cut out in half by the edge of your screen does a lot to put you off the general experience in the sense that something amazing suddenly looks much less amazing.
Also agree with people on sound controls, that's always nifty and, finally, though I will refrain from flaming comments from a couple years ago, a part of me will never forgive me for doing so u.u

Re: In-game options menuWeakAssNewb11/29/2010 - 15:04

i don't see this necessary, usefull or a good use of dev time.

i love his suggestions man, but I mainly registered on this forum to reply to you.

do you realize how different the world would be if everyone just settled with what was good enough, instead of tweaking everything to perfection? compare the FIRST TV invented against the TVs we have now. compare the first phone that was invented against what he have now. compare the FIRST automobile invented against what we have now. compare the first ANYTHING to what was invented 10+ years later.

if 2DBoy has a monopoly on the PC gaming industry, then yea, they can get away being as negligent & lazy as they want, but as long as you're competing against at least 1 company, having that lax attitude will cause your company to be known as "that generic brand".

there was an episode of "The Apprentice" (a reality TV show with Donald Trump) where 2 different contestants were in charge of 2 different companies. 1 contestant was constantly trying to make his "product" better while they other contestant just settle with what was given to him. guess who won that segment.

Re: In-game options menuKissaki11/29/2010 - 15:19

Having native resulution is a must for me.
Even if it’s just about reducing aliasing I’d go for it, as it is inexpensive and just looks a lot better.
Plus, my Steam and Mumble Overlay will not be as pixelated, etc.
Having to edit a config is not that big of a problem for me but for others. Even I would prefer an in game option.

Not being able to change audio volume may not be a problem for everyone but definitely is a must for a game.
I gifted WoG to someone yesterday. Just now I heard she turned off the sound entirely because she wanted to hear us in Mumble while playing but couldn’t when the game music was too loud. That’s so sad in my opinion, missing out the sound and music of the game.
(It’s still XP, so there’s also no good Workaround.)

GooTools even managed to hack in sound controls, so adding it via some simple menu really shouldn’t be that big of a hassle and would greatly benefit a lot of people.
These basic controls, resolution and audio volume, are a must on a PC.