Misc. suggestions

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Misc. suggestionsNicosmos11/03/2008 - 06:59

Here some suggestions for the game ... :)

[li]- Create a option screen in the game. I know, this is said repeatedly, but this would be essential ultimately.[/li]
    [li]- Have the ability to rename our profile. The mine is named "Nous" ("Us") because we are originally many to play on the same profile, but I'm now alone to use it. So I would like to rename it.[/li]
    [li]- Make all text translatable. I believe it needs more work than a lot of others suggestions, but I think it would be required. By "all text" I see : first signs which have directly sentences on them (first and second levels only I believe), the big panel in WoG Corporation which explain what are clouds, words at the end of a level (extra-balls, time ...), title of chapters in their background, and some texts in animations.[/li]
    [li]- Create a island/planet in order to list all unofficial downloaded levels - even if there are no home made levels yet. This place could open/be visible only if the player have additional levels in his game.[/li]

I think it's all. I propose to use this thread for all suggestions which don't need specific topics ...  :P

Last modified Mon, 11/03/2008 - 07:09 by Nicosmos
Re: Misc. suggestionsSoultaker11/03/2008 - 08:17

[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=690.msg5015#msg5015 date=1225713592]
Here some suggestions for the game ... :)

[li]- Make all text translatable. I believe it needs more work than a lot of others suggestions, but I think it would be required. By "all text" I see : first signs which have directly sentences on them (first and second levels only I believe), the big panel in WoG Corporation which explain what are clouds, words at the end of a level (extra-balls, time ...), title of chapters in their background, and some texts in animations.[/li]

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this but the game already support loading translated versions of images and sounds (and maybe even fonts?) If a file named "foo/bar/name.png" exists, you can name a translated version "foo/bar/name.CC.png" where CC is the country code; the game will then try to load it if the language is set to CC.

So translating all these texts is already possible. I've considered updating my translation site so these images can be generated automatically from the text in the wiki, as I can already render text into images, e.g.
[img width=207 height=151]http://hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/sign.php?text=Like%20this%21[/img]
It would take some figuring out of what text goes where and creating some clean background images that the text can be overlayed onto.
Which brings me to another point: unless there is a more or less easy way to change the language in the game, translations are very hard to use by users. I do hope 2D Boy consider adding a configuration dialog (doesn't even have to be in-game) at some point, and ship with a bunch translations. (From what I understand, at least the French and Dutch translations are in very good shape).

Re: Misc. suggestionsNicosmos11/03/2008 - 10:39

Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this but the game already support loading translated versions of images and sounds (and maybe even fonts?) If a file named "foo/bar/name.png" exists, you can name a translated version "foo/bar/name.CC.png" where CC is the country code; the game will then try to load it if the language is set to CC.

Excellent ! ;D (I wondered why this French flag on the first level sign ...)
I've just created a wiki page to translate all that in order to make images soon. :)