right clicking

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
right clickingkryptn11/15/2008 - 13:21

Perhaps in the levels that you can move the goo's after they've already been connected, you can right click in the area to select the connected goo.  it just.. makes sense..

Re: right clickingdavidc11/15/2008 - 13:26

[quote author=kryptn link=topic=802.msg5888#msg5888 date=1226773297]
Perhaps in the levels that you can move the goo's after they've already been connected, you can right click in the area to select the connected goo.  it just.. makes sense..

Because the selected goo is highlighted before you even click, I would think it would be better to instead have a keyboard modifier (e.g. CTRL). When you have this button held down it only highlights and lets you select connected balls.

Re: right clickingkryptn11/15/2008 - 15:49

i agree with that even more than my original idea.  therefore, i suggest an ANTI-WHISTLE!  (right click only, not sold in stores)

Re: right clickingdavidc11/15/2008 - 16:21

Actually I only fairly recently noticed that if you start to hold down the mouse button on an attached ball, all the balls on connected strands immediately try to get away - so you can then detach that ball without anything falling off if you wait half a second. So combined with the ctrl-key suggestion you will be able to easily and quickly detach structures.

Re: right clickingJazz Ad11/16/2008 - 19:12

I think it's a good idea. It's sometimes very difficult to pick up a connected goo when the gooweb is crowded.

Re: right clickingcobaltblue197511/16/2008 - 21:28

I'm all on board with the "Anti-whistle" suggestion. I think the left button should call them and the right button should repel them. Its next to impossible to correct a building mistake because they are swarming all over the spot you need access to.

Re: right clickingElipsis12/23/2008 - 15:39

[quote author=Jazz Ad link=topic=802.msg5941#msg5941 date=1226880736]
I think it's a good idea. It's sometimes very difficult to pick up a connected goo when the gooweb is crowded.

It's pretty much impossible at the beginning of the 300 goo tower.

Re: right clickingantic12/26/2008 - 07:27

Something like this is an excellent suggestion.  It is very frustrating trying to pick a "node" (attached gooball) when there are so many other gooballs running across it.

I'd also suggest a keyboard modifier to help pick between which moving gooballs you want to select.  Something simple like either BLACK gooballs or "non-black" balls. There are many times when I want to place a green or other type of ball and DON'T want to pick a black one.

Modifiers means the 2D boys may have to create a keyboard setting page, but I think they've been avoiding that for long enough.. ;)

Re: right clickingboogaooga01/04/2009 - 00:35

If the goo structure is small, an anti-whistle isn't enough, because they have nowhere to go. It's still necessary to have a toggle button for picking connected goos. Maybe it would make all 'free roaming' goos transparent and impossible to select. It's not really good enough. So the anti-whistle wouldn't really do anything better than the whistle, by itself.

Maybe the mousewheel, rather than scrolling up/down (which is fairly useless), should cycle through a mini options menu that lets you choose between: pick only connected goos, pick only grey goos, pick only green goos, etc. All you'd need to do for visual confirmation is have a little picture somewhere on the screen to represent what mode it's in, and then clicking the mousewheel would always put it back to default mode.

I'd pretty much kill for this type of functionality, because not having it is preventing me from being able to save a lot of the goos in Upper Shaft, due to lack of room to click. I know it's possible to save all the green goos, and all but three of the not yet connected red goos, on top of the black goos and many grey goos (not sure exactly how many).

Re: right clickingPaultheDork01/06/2009 - 06:20

You can always go to other route too: a toolbar somewhere on the screen (with a hide mode) and you just click one the type of goo you want to use at the moment.

ex
[black][green][ red ][clear][water]...etc...[structure]

attached quick keys would be nice also (or if you want it a pure mouse game, the scroll wheel)

-Paul the Dork

Re: right clickingRuuttu01/06/2009 - 14:15

In my opinion it would be easier to just make the pointer prefer the connected gooballs. So, to pick non-connected, click anywhere but the connection, and to unconnect, click a connection.

In other words: If there's a connected gooball under the pointer, it will be unconnected when you click, even if there's other gooballs on that connected one.

Last modified Mon, 02/16/2009 - 08:01 by Ruuttu