Tensnion Compression Web

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Tensnion Compression WebTimmah11/18/2008 - 03:23

I absolutely love this game and I had an idea that doesn't really change the game play but I think I would make for a cool visualization.  Since the game is a magnificent physics calculator why not display the stress of the links between the goos such as red for tension and blue for compression.  The intensity could also show just how close the link is to its failure point or how close to equilibrium.  I think it would be a fairly simple addition and a great visualization of just how your structure failed.

Lemme know what you think
-Timmah

Re: Tensnion Compression WebSoultaker11/18/2008 - 17:01

Some might consider that cheating (especially in World of Goo Corporation), but I believe you can already enable the debug mode in levels if you're willing to decrypt/encrypt them. That shows you some stuff like where clipping boxes (and hazards like spikes) are, and I believe it also shows tension.

Re: Tensnion Compression WebThe Goo Baron11/20/2008 - 06:30

well i reckon it would rock!

Re: Tensnion Compression Webherminator11/21/2008 - 08:30

[quote author=Timmah link=topic=827.msg6031#msg6031 date=1226996580]
The intensity could also show just how close the link is to its failure point or how close to equilibrium.

I like the suggestion, but I think you should realize that links never fail due to stress.

Re: Tensnion Compression WebAlweth11/22/2008 - 23:18

Excellent idea.  I second it, third it, whatever.

Re: Tensnion Compression Webdavidc11/22/2008 - 23:30

[quote author=Timmah link=topic=827.msg6031#msg6031 date=1226996580]
I absolutely love this game and I had an idea that doesn't really change the game play but I think I would make for a cool visualization.  Since the game is a magnificent physics calculator why not display the stress of the links between the goos such as red for tension and blue for compression.  The intensity could also show just how close the link is to its failure point or how close to equilibrium. 

Sounds a lot like the visualisation in bridge builder (ode to!) which I fortunately managed to get away from... just long enough to get stuck into DHTML Lemmings  and Mondo :-\. Nice distractions from GooTool anyway!

Re: Tensnion Compression WebWishbone11/30/2008 - 18:50

[quote author=davidc link=topic=827.msg6244#msg6244 date=1227414611]
Sounds a lot like the visualisation in bridge builder (ode to!) which I fortunately managed to get away from...

Yup, Bridge Builder is addictive as hell! :D