Please release changelogs and post updates on the website

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Please release changelogs and post updates on the websiteEcks11/30/2008 - 16:26

Guys,

Please, please, please, change the way you handle updates.  It's incredibly frustrating to the customer how you're currently doing it.  It makes me want to pull my hair out and scream.  Here's a list of things you really should change.  I'm begging you.

1.  Include changelogs in your installer.  This is for two reasons.  First, the user can see if the bug they're experiencing was fixed.  Second, it also tells them what version of the game they're running.  Simply renaming the installer itself is not good enough.  Many people delete the installer or get to the point where they can't remember what version they've installed and whether they need to update or not.

2.  Post about updates on your website.  You have a blog.  Use it.  You haven't once mentioned an updated game on there.  The only way people know things get fixed is because they come to the support forum.  That's atrocious.  I have experienced a problem that hasn't been fixed yet (more on that later), and it's infuriating for me to have to dig through forums to see if it was fixed.  There aren't even any stickies on this forum stating there's a new version and what's been fixed.  Post the changelist in your blog post.

3.  Put a little version number in the bottom right of the main screen in the game.  Something saying version 1.3 or something.  Tiny.  Out of the way.  It helps, trust me.

4.  Stop being a black box.  I hate having to guess what's going on in the world of 2DBoy.  When you're a black box, you get stuff like http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,803.0.html where people don't know if things have been fixed or not and some claim it has been when others are still experiencing the problem.  THIS IS BAD.  The above two things would greatly alleviate this problem.

Please.  I know this stuff isn't glamorous, but it helps tremendously.  My multi monitor issue may not be at the top of your list, but it's frustrating enough that it stops me from playing your game.  I like playing your game.  It makes me feel all warm and snuggly inside.  I hate this runaround.  Please make it stop.  Video game companies have been doing updates with changelists and version numbers for years.  There's really no excuse for you not to as well.

Shit, give me the source code and I'll fix the problem.  Seriously.  I'm not joking.

Re: Please release changelogs and post updates on the websiteNightFright11/30/2008 - 18:42

Yeah, I agree. the .exe should show the version number in Win Explorer, too. Even better would be an option to check for updates online. This could be done while adding a general tuning menu for game settings, anyway (resolution, volume etc.). The game doesn't need to be able to update itself (though it would be great), it'd be just cool if it told you when a new version is available.