SPORE

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
SPORENic Freed09/08/2008 - 14:36

hi i just got spore, havent played it yet, its downloading right now :) i dont know if its against the rules to talk about other physics games than world of goo on here, but just in case, i would enjoy discussing the awsomness of the upcoming game (almost awsome as WOG :) )

Re: SPOREMacatttack09/08/2008 - 16:51

[quote author=Nic Freed link=topic=192.msg1585#msg1585 date=1220902601]
hi i just got spore, havent played it yet, its downloading right now :) i dont know if its against the rules to talk about other physics games than world of goo on here, but just in case, i would enjoy discussing the awsomness of the upcoming game (almost awsome as WOG :) )

Spore is not a physics game and I don't like RPG's... AT ALL!!!  :-\

Re: SPORENic Freed09/08/2008 - 19:03

oh yeah!? small rodents!!!

Re: SPOREThe Happy Friar09/08/2008 - 21:41

i'm eagerly awaiting the new stalker.  Spore looks cool though.  It's one of those "drops to $10 & I buy it" games on my list.

Re: SPOREDil99909/08/2008 - 22:06

I've been playing nonstop for the last two days.  Until you reach the Civ stage, it's pretty boring, but as soon as you hit the Civ and space stages the game expands massively and becomes very, very fun.

Re: SPORENic Freed09/09/2008 - 18:38

im such an idiot, i bought the creator, not knowing the full version was out! im going to get the full version right now. stupid stupid stupid!!! >:(

Re: SPOREgnoupi09/10/2008 - 08:18

About spore, i would say it's a disappointment for me..

When i first heard, 2 years ago, about this game, i was impatient : a game about evolution !

And finally, here we are, with a game made for a casual market, which has been simplified to extreme, to be selling a lot.

Will Wright wrote:
We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. Spore has more depth than, let’s say, The Sims did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for Sims 2, which was around 90, and something like Half-Life, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of Half-Life.

There was incredible potential, and they simplified it so much, that there is only choice for "good or bad", and in repeting actions, over and over again...

Re: SPORENic Freed09/10/2008 - 13:23

[quote author=gnoupi link=topic=192.msg1604#msg1604 date=1221052706]
About spore, i would say it's a disappointment for me..

When i first heard, 2 years ago, about this game, i was impatient : a game about evolution !

And finally, here we are, with a game made for a casual market, which has been simplified to extreme, to be selling a lot.

Will Wright wrote:
We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. Spore has more depth than, let’s say, The Sims did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for Sims 2, which was around 90, and something like Half-Life, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of Half-Life.

There was incredible potential, and they simplified it so much, that there is only choice for "good or bad", and in repeting actions, over and over again...

...poopy head...  ;D

Re: SPOREMacatttack09/10/2008 - 17:08

I changed my mind, spore does seem awesome so I will get it in awhile.  :)

Re: SPOREBallisticsfood09/11/2008 - 09:05

Spore: A game that, although it may seem boring, gives a lot to people who take time to look around and do stuff rather than trying to blitz to the end.

It's true I usually skip the cell stage and go straight to creature but because I've got loads of everyone elses creations on my game I always see something new. And then I tend to eat it. What I find weird is the difficulty curve, because it uses so many different types of game how well you can play them would go up and down like a yoyo but everything is so simple you dont have to worry until you hit the space stage, where a nice gentle stroll through evolution admiring the scenery becomes an insane rush not to die until you have a few secure colonies, at which point the difficulty drops straight back down again.

I like it anyways, and I'll probably keep playing it on and off for a while.

Now theres an idea...

Spore gooballs!!!

Re: SPOREDil99909/11/2008 - 17:31

I loved the game- absolutely loved it- until 2 hours into the space stage.
Around that point, a generic evil enemy race named the Grox will go to war with you (maybe earlier).  Basically once they declare war, just about every minute one of your planets will be attacked by a group of extremely powerful enemy ships.  The fun of the space stage was trading, expanding your nation, and terraforming planets.  With Grox attacks every minute threatening to reduce your money production drastically, it gets extremely boring and hard, extremely fast. 
Once they fix the Grox, I'll play again.  Until that, I'll play something else.

Re: SPOREResilient09/11/2008 - 20:50

I could do without the tribal and civ stages.  They are over simplified compared to the rest of the game.  There is just so little to see and experience there.  And in the space stage, there are always things for you to deal with that make it difficult to go out and just explore.  I expect they will patch it or something soon to make the space stage a little less stressful.  Its not that is difficult, the things you have to do, but its just the sheer quantity.

Also, DRM is evil.  If you want to find out more, read any of the 2000 reviews at amazon :)

Re: SPOREgnoupi09/12/2008 - 08:01

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=192.msg1622#msg1622 date=1221172292]

Actually, i think it's kinda made especially for this reason, the Grox, race that everyone fears, blablabla...

About space stage, such attacking all the time, i had many times because of a major design flaw.
I played aggressive earlier, so i got some super wave/bomb obliterating all structures on the planet.
They put this ray on the 1 button, just next to the little laser, on 2.

There is no warning, no confirmation box, you can use this extreme weapon just as easily, no way to cancel it, even if the bomb takes some time to land.
Why do i insist on this ? Because it's not telling you one important thing : this wave is against "galactic code", and using it lowers all diplomatic feelings from other empires on you.
Which means that even empires you have never seen, will have negative opinion of you, and enter war.

All this, without a warning, or information, i knew i broke this "galactic code" only seeing the "minus" in diplomatic relations.

And just like this, all i found nice in space stage, gone, i was attacked each minute. In the end, i couldn't even leave the planet, each time i left it, there were people attacking it.

About Spore in general, great tool to create, for sure, and after trying it, playing "nice", you understand the gme is mostly developped to be all pink and joyful. It's less boring, and less messy if you play it "good". Playing aggressive, you will get messy fights with creatures, messy strategy in tribal and civilization.

Last modified Fri, 09/12/2008 - 08:03 by gnoupi
Re: SPOREBallisticsfood09/12/2008 - 13:50

Hmms. Odd. With my big space civilisation I've occupied quite a lot of one arm of the galaxy, gained the rank of omnipotent and unlocked quite a few tools. So far the only times I've met the Grox are when they're attacking my allies.

I am carefully ignoring the 'meet the mysterious Grox' mission that my homeworld has given me though. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Re: SPORENic Freed09/12/2008 - 22:47

i just entered the space level, so i have no idea what the heck "the grox" is, exept in the instruction book that comes with the game, it says:
the grox
beware the grox. they dont understand relationships.

and thats it, so im ithing to figure out what the heck they are :)

Re: SPORENic Freed09/15/2008 - 18:03

oh, hey guys, just wanted to let you know that some jerk with a youtube account named "onestarrater" went on my account and rated my vid 1 star :( just wanted to know if u could go on and rate the vid for what you think its worth, even if u want to one star it, its ok i wont mind, as long as its what you really think :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP5xW8j6-zM

Re: SPOREBallisticsfood09/16/2008 - 14:59

I JUST FOUND EARTH!!!

YEEHAH!!

SPOILER ALERT!

The co-ordinates (bearing and distance from galactic core) are:

Bearing: 225.06 degrees
Distance: 7295.43 pc

END OF SPOILER

PS: hover over the little ufo at the bottom to get the co-ordinates of your current location.

Re: SPORENic Freed09/16/2008 - 16:54

Genius!

Re: SPORENic Freed09/29/2008 - 04:59

[quote author=Dil999 link=topic=192.msg1622#msg1622 date=1221172292]
I loved the game- absolutely loved it- until 2 hours into the space stage.
Around that point, a generic evil enemy race named the Grox will go to war with you (maybe earlier).  Basically once they declare war, just about every minute one of your planets will be attacked by a group of extremely powerful enemy ships.  The fun of the space stage was trading, expanding your nation, and terraforming planets.  With Grox attacks every minute threatening to reduce your money production drastically, it gets extremely boring and hard, extremely fast. 

you know you can befrend the grox right? i will tell you:
How to ally with Grox

to ally with the grox fly towards the center of the universe, you will come across them way before you get there. You need 5 planet bombs, the super happy ray, and a few health packs to heal while you're going to their planets for missions. they will attack you until you become allied. do missions for them until you receive the maximum +50 reputation. you can plant an embassy on one of their planets, but they will attack it before you are allied with them. use the super happy ray until you receive a maximum of +30 reputation for "using friendly tools," even with the best energy pack, you will need to recharge a few times before you're done. blow up 4 innocent planets (not the grox) or more until you've maxed to 50 (you'll receive +50 rep. with the grox for "breaking galactic code"). give them gifts of 100,000 spore bucks 4 times to receive a maximum +10 reputation. It is possible to ally with them once you have a positive 70 relationship with the grox, so you need to earn a total of +140 reputation (they start with -70). it is easier if you colonize a planet a little near them so you can re-energize, but you can still establish trade routes with them if you don't. when you become allied with the grox, you receive -200 reputation with every other empire in the game and are forced to go to war with everyone other than the grox. They will give you a ship with 3600 health to add to your fleet, which is better than any other empire. for that you will automatically receive the dance with the devil badge :)

Re: SPOREBallisticsfood10/02/2008 - 15:57

You know, I would swear that's lifted straight from the spore wikia article. Give a link next time instead of a huge block 'o text please.

Re: SPORENic Freed10/03/2008 - 05:48

actually, its from another forum to tell you the truth, im just not as good at explaining as this dude... sorry dude

p.s. i shall be the first to use this smiley in the forums  :-*

Re: SPOREHexagonalBolts10/04/2008 - 09:32

It had so much potential and such awesome content creation, if only the games themselves had been made slightly more complex and deep, even the sims has more depth: multiple career paths, types of family, different styles of houses, locking your family up and setting them on fire, ridiculous things you can do - the sims although it is a much older and more simple game is much less limited. Spore however is confined to the infinitely tiny barriers of a game, a selection of at best mildly interesting games, in every single stage that make replaying the game repetitive and dull.

I spent more time on the creature creator demo making over 100 creatures than I did on the actual spore game, playing three races to the end - being outstandingly bored even the second time around.

Re: SPORENic Freed10/06/2008 - 14:03

[quote author=HexagonalBolts link=topic=192.msg1739#msg1739 date=1223130742]
It had so much potential and such awesome content creation, if only the games themselves had been made slightly more complex and deep, even the sims has more depth: multiple career paths, types of family, different styles of houses, locking your family up and setting them on fire, ridiculous things you can do - the sims although it is a much older and more simple game is much less limited. Spore however is confined to the infinitely tiny barriers of a game, a selection of at best mildly interesting games, in every single stage that make replaying the game repetitive and dull.

I spent more time on the creature creator demo making over 100 creatures than I did on the actual spore game, playing three races to the end - being outstandingly bored even the second time around.

well maybe that just you, and several other million people
:(

Re: SPOREBeSD10/27/2008 - 17:33

I have bought Spore, but only played a few hours of it. I came very quickly bored with it. But I will continue it soon, I want to know how the Civ-stage plays.

Btw, has anyone yet created a Goo-species within spore?

Re: SPOREnoirakita11/02/2008 - 21:05

I've had Spore for over a month now, love it.  Like World of Goo, another one that my boyfriend showed me.  Personally I like the creature stage the best, maybe cause I like the cute antics of all the creatures dancing and singing and stuff.  Cute is my thing.  lol  Tribal stage is pretty fun, Civ stage is good, but then I never liked those kinds of games Civ stage is based on.  Space stage is cool, although I have yet to "finish" the Space Stage, cause I keep going back and making more creatures and playing the Creature stage a lot. 

I really like the creature creator the most of the whole game.  It's very fun.  I just wish they'd put in more parts.  I mean, you can make the body however you want, but there are only good enough parts for a carnivore/herbivore/omnivore and for either attacking or socializing with the other creatures.

By the way, if anyone is interested that plays Spore as well, my creatures I have made so far are under the same screen name as here.  Just for your info.