Confused about building pipes.

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Confused about building pipes.radu12/10/2008 - 05:08

Right, the otherwise brilliant tutorial for the wogeditor (thank you for that) falls short in clearly explaining building pipes. If I undestand correctly the vertex parameters designate the coordinates for the pipe corners. However, I can't make the pipe how I want it. I hover over a spot where I want the pipe to start to get the coords (outside the playable area) and enter the coords in the last of the 3 vertex. A line is then created that connects to a point in the middle of the level. Why?

Ignoring that I go on with the coords for the corner and the exit. Yet, somehow the pipe turns out nothing like I'd expected it to be, almost  random like.

Halp?

Re: Confused about building pipes.Echo12/10/2008 - 05:45

[quote author=radu link=topic=1014.msg7096#msg7096 date=1228903704]
Right, the otherwise brilliant tutorial for the wogeditor (thank you for that) falls short in clearly explaining building pipes. If I undestand correctly the vertex parameters designate the coordinates for the pipe corners. However, I can't make the pipe how I want it. I hover over a spot where I want the pipe to start to get the coords (outside the playable area) and enter the coords in the last of the 3 vertex. A line is then created that connects to a point in the middle of the level. Why?

Pipe creation is hard to explain, but I will give it my best shot. The reason that you are having problems is that you are only entering the coords of the last vertex. Each of the 3 values is a point that connects to the other vertices with a line. The other two vertices are still at (0,0) which is why it is connecting back to the centre. Try specifying a different point for each of the 3 vertices and see what happens. Ideally place one vertex outside the level, one above where you want the pipe to finish, and one where you want it to finish.

Please post back if that doesnt answer the question, I don't know if that will help. I will also edit the tutorial to make it clearer here.

[quote author=radu link=topic=1014.msg7096#msg7096 date=1228903704]
Right, the otherwise brilliant tutorial for the wogeditor (thank you for that)

Thanks! (Then again, zark92 is the one who deserves the praise for making the thing and putting in all the hard work  :P )

Edit: Cool, glad you figured it out.

Last modified Wed, 12/10/2008 - 06:09 by Echo
Re: Confused about building pipes.radu12/10/2008 - 06:07

Thanks, I figured it by myself eventually.