Translation requested for new level

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Translation requested for new leveldavidc12/14/2008 - 11:32

Hello all,

I have a translation request for a new level if you get some time:

http://hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/mediawiki/index.php/Addin:JingleBalls

Critiques on the English version are also welcome  ;)

Many thanks,

-davidc

Re: Translation requested for new levelVials12/14/2008 - 14:29

Please check my Russian translation ;)

Re: Translation requested for new leveldavidc12/16/2008 - 15:04

Thanks Vials, thanks also to the French and German translators :)

There may be a small change to sign 1 to add a bigger clue, if so, I will let you know here immediately.

Hopefully we will have this in beta test on Thursday or Friday, and final release by Monday. Send me a private message with your e-mail address if you would like to beta test the level (please specify your language).

I'm pleased to report that Xanax is working on the graphics, and Cosmin Marza (film composer extraordinaire) is working on the music. Fingers crossed it willl be a big success. (I already know it's fun to play. That makes me worry, because aren't you supposed to get bored with your own game after a while? :P)

Re: Translation requested for new levelthorin12/16/2008 - 17:20

Spanish translation is done.

Re: Translation requested for new levelManray12/17/2008 - 19:35

Hey Thorin, I checked the text and changed and corrected some things. Have a look to the Spanish translation discussion page. Also, I found an Spanish translation for the poem; not really good, but maybe useful (the Spanish title is "La noche de antes de Navidad").

BTW, davidc, isn't the lost Moon Chapter usually named as the fifth one (although epilogue)? I thought that chapter was the referent to Chapter 6 texts in signpost 2 (at least, that's what I understood), but not sure.

Last modified Wed, 12/17/2008 - 19:50 by Manray
Re: Translation requested for new leveldavidc12/17/2008 - 20:05

Hmm hmm. I always thought of the epilogue as chapter 5, as it's named in the game files. Maybe it should say "moon chapter" or something, let me ponder the rhyme here!

Re: Translation requested for new leveldavidc12/19/2008 - 11:21

Thanks to all who helped translated. The translation as of this morning (German, Russian, Spanish) went into the beta-test release. PM me your e-mail address if you want to test it.

Any changes to the translations before Sunday morning will make it into the final release.

Thanks again

-davidc

Re: Translation requested for new levelSoultaker12/19/2008 - 16:20

Bah, I was going to add a Dutch translation, but as I opened the page for editing, I noticed someone else had added it already! For what it's worth, here is my version. If the other translator is reading this, maybe we can merge translations or something?

Quote:
Jingle Balls
"Goo-ballen bij de open haard"

Het was de nacht voor Kerstmis, en in het hele huis,
Was geen teken van leven, zelfs niet van een muis.
De Goo-ballen lagen bij het vuur te dromen,
In de hoop aan de bordjesschilder te ontkomen.
Mooi niet! Laten we ze aan het werk zetten.
-Ebenezer Bordjesschilder

Stapels speelgoed onder de boom?
Zou Hoofdstuk Zes dan toch zijn gekomen?
Bah, het zijn meer ballen in feestelijke kledij,
Gooi ze maar lekker op het vuur erbij.

Toen ik even niet oplette, namen ze de benen,
En zijn de Goo-ballen door de schoorsteen verdwenen!
Maar ik hoorde ze roepen, door de schacht,
"Prettige kerst allemaal, en een goede nacht"!

(I thought that the penultimate sentence (using "schacht" to rhyme with "nacht") was quite a find; funny to see that the other translator had written almost the same thing. :))

Re: Translation requested for new levelherminator12/19/2008 - 17:11

The one on the wiki was mine, but I like yours better :)

Given the fact that davidc wants to release Sunday or Monday, I did mine quickly, and not very brilliantly, so feel free to replace it!

Re: Translation requested for new levelSoultaker12/19/2008 - 17:28

@herminator: Cool, I didn't realize you are (or at least speak) Dutch. :)

I've updated the text, taking bits of both. (I hope the Goo balls actually have beards and hats or the translation for SIGNPOST_JINGLEBALLS_2 probably needs to be replaced too.)

@davidc: Any chance of another late beta version with the Dutch text, so we can seen if it works in-game?

Re: Translation requested for new leveldavidc12/19/2008 - 17:41

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1042.msg7481#msg7481 date=1229725702]
@davidc: Any chance of another late beta version with the Dutch text, so we can seen if it works in-game?

Just released 0.7 and sent you a copy. It uses your translations above.

There'll be at least one more beta (with the new music, probably tomorrow) so I'll take whatever's on the wiki at that time.

Re: Translation requested for new levelherminator12/19/2008 - 18:14

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1042.msg7481#msg7481 date=1229725702]
@herminator: Cool, I didn't realize you are (or at least speak) Dutch. :)

Yep, I am (and do). Hence the little Dutch flag by my name in the leaderboard ;)

(Hmm, just noticed I'm not on the leaderboard, despite my new 37.5 m tower  :-\ )

Quote:

I've updated the text, taking bits of both. (I hope the Goo balls actually have beards and hats or the translation for SIGNPOST_JINGLEBALLS_2 probably needs to be replaced too.)

They have hats, but not beards, that was a bit of poetic license in referring to Santa Claus in order to rhyme with "haard" :)

Re: Translation requested for new levelSoultaker12/19/2008 - 18:36

[quote author=herminator link=topic=1042.msg7485#msg7485 date=1229728473]
Yep, I am (and do). Hence the little Dutch flag by my name in the leaderboard ;)
Ah, I hadn't noticed (or wasn't paying attention). I only got the EU flag for some reason. :(

Re: Translation requested for new levelherminator12/19/2008 - 18:44

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=1042.msg7486#msg7486 date=1229729781]
Ah, I hadn't noticed (or wasn't paying attention). I only got the EU flag for some reason. :(

Yeah, I noticed, and it's the same for Marius. Apparently the geo-locator tool they use considers the university network something european  ??? ;)

Re: Translation requested for new leveldavidc12/19/2008 - 21:55

Hi guys,

Testing has indicated that it's not very clear that the gift box plays a role in this level. So, I've changed line 5 of sign 1 (the non-poetic line)

OLD: Fat chance. Let's put them to work.

NEW: Fat chance. Let's open the present early.

Please remove the ''' wiki marks when you've changed this in your translation. Thanks!

-davidc