King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDED

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDtair00112/30/2008 - 17:42

Hey everyone,

All the good work with level mods so far inspired me to build a simple one of my own, so without further ado, I present King Of The Jungle (the clue for what you have to do is in the title!):

However, I need some help with the finishing touches - can anyone help me with:

[li]A tutorial for manipulating the cameras properly at the start of the level[/li]
    [li]A tutorial for creating custom messages to go on the signpost[/li]
    [li]A tutorial for compiling the level into a Goomod file, including setting OCD requirements, level title/subtitle, etc.[/li]

Thanks!  :)

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDdavidc12/30/2008 - 18:07

[quote author=Tair link=topic=1189.msg8075#msg8075 date=1230676969]

[li]A tutorial for manipulating the cameras properly at the start of the level[/li]
    [li]A tutorial for creating custom messages to go on the signpost[/li]
    [li]A tutorial for compiling the level into a Goomod file, including setting OCD requirements, level title/subtitle, etc.[/li]

Hehe I feel like Mowgli already.

The cameras you'll just have to experiment with the pois until you get x,y values that look right. You'll have to manually edit the values in the poi values. For each poi, the camera moves to that point in the movetime, then pauses, then moves to the next poi. The last poi is the one that the player uses to play the level, so that also dictates the zoom of the level.

The endpos on the camera itself is used for the final level sequence, while the goos are draining into the end-of-level screen.

For custom signpost messages, and for goomod creation, I recommend you download Jingle Balls (rename the .goomod to a .zip file to see the contents), as that level uses custom sign posts too.

GooTool 0.10 series is going to have a system for creating goomods more easily, in the meantime hopefully that example level and the documentation will help.
-davidc

Last modified Tue, 12/30/2008 - 18:09 by davidc
Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDGooGooAction12/30/2008 - 19:02

nice work,   more,more,more, maps^^

soon i will start a database webside for all gootool addins (levels)

but i don't work with gootool, i encrypt and decrypt all .bin files self.
So i can make with the game what i whant^^.  new worldmap. new Chapterline.
new moviesequences

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDtair00112/31/2008 - 05:01

[quote author=davidc link=topic=1189.msg8081#msg8081 date=1230678453]
The cameras you'll just have to experiment with the pois until you get x,y values that look right. You'll have to manually edit the values in the poi values. For each poi, the camera moves to that point in the movetime, then pauses, then moves to the next poi. The last poi is the one that the player uses to play the level, so that also dictates the zoom of the level.

The endpos on the camera itself is used for the final level sequence, while the goos are draining into the end-of-level screen.

The trouble I'm having with the cameras is the fact that the level demands that there are two cameras, each with at least two poi. I don't know which camera set I'm supposed to be editing! I've fiddled round with the pois for each but it never works properly even with the right coordinates - it also means there are two possible endpos. I've looked at original levels for clues but I can't figure it out!

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDdavidc12/31/2008 - 06:46

[quote author=Tair link=topic=1189.msg8101#msg8101 date=1230717719]
The trouble I'm having with the cameras is the fact that the level demands that there are two cameras, each with at least two poi. I don't know which camera set I'm supposed to be editing! I've fiddled round with the pois for each but it never works properly even with the right coordinates - it also means there are two possible endpos. I've looked at original levels for clues but I can't figure it out!

One camera is aspect=normal, the other is aspect=widescreen. I just set the pois the same for both.

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDtair00112/31/2008 - 08:04

Bingo! Fixed it - the problem was with the zoom, where it's quite a narrow level having it zoomed out too much was causing problems with the camera. Works quite smoothly now!

Still having trouble with signposts though - the only way to incorporate new text into the level (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) is by having it already built into the text.xml.bin file in the WoG directory that you're modifying with WoGEdit - however, I can't edit the text.xml.bin file because it's not a proper xml document! How did you get your text into Jingle Balls?

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDGooGun12/31/2008 - 08:07

I think it was made by using the GooTool to merge the text xml with the existing one...

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDdavidc12/31/2008 - 08:08

[quote author=Tair link=topic=1189.msg8115#msg8115 date=1230728680]
Still having trouble with signposts though - the only way to incorporate new text into the level (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) is by having it already built into the text.xml.bin file in the WoG directory that you're modifying with WoGEdit - however, I can't edit the text.xml.bin file because it's not a proper xml document! How did you get your text into Jingle Balls?

Check out the file "merge/properties/text.xml.xsl" inside the goomod (rename to .zip to see the contents)

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDtair00112/31/2008 - 08:48

[quote author=GooGun link=topic=1189.msg8116#msg8116 date=1230728838]
I think it was made by using the GooTool to merge the text xml with the existing one...

ahhh, I see. I'll give that a try.

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDDEFE12/31/2008 - 16:27

Swinging the structure looks like a great idea. Nice looking level, Tair.

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDNic Freed12/31/2008 - 17:20

watch out for that tree!

Re: King Of The Jungle - HELP NEEDEDtair00101/01/2009 - 11:39

Right, one more quick fix and the level will be ready!

For those of you wanting a status update, the level is complete, including signposts, I'm just having some trouble compiling it into the goomod file.

@davidc:

I've followed all the instructions on your site for compiling the file, but my problem is this:

[li]The level files that I have made in WOGEDIT are bin/binltl files, i.e. they are already encrypted.[/li]
    [li]GooTool needs unencrypted files in xml format in order to compile them into a WoG installation.[/li]
    [li]I've tried renaming the bin files into xml files, and using these in the goomod file - this hasn't worked for obvious reasons.[/li]

How do I encode the bin files into the ones needed for the goomod file?

EDIT: Don't worry, figured it out! See the new thread for details...

Last modified Thu, 01/01/2009 - 12:11 by Tair