Great Escape - New Level

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/02/2009 - 11:35

[=18pt]Great Escape[/]

This is my first level :) Have fun ;D

To instal you must have GooTool.

1.0 (for those who liked this version ;) )
http://rapidshare.com/files/179118858/GreatEscape.goomod
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lynitytxjtz

Changelog:
-2 times higher and a bit wider ;D
-added time bugs
-changed some common balls to ivy balls
-lines to mark "3D"
-you can't go through shelf and through monitor ;)
-French and German translation

http://rapidshare.com/files/181498800/GreatEsc.goomod
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zycoynmmdyl

Changelog:
-added Polish language
-graphical fixes
-changed WoG box

http://rapidshare.com/files/211183944/GreatEsc.goomod

Last modified Sun, 03/29/2009 - 03:21 by My-Key
Re: Great Escape - New LevelXDboy01/02/2009 - 13:57

unfortunately it will crash on start. sometimes with, sometimes without a fatal error message.  :(

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/02/2009 - 14:49

O Jesus! I am so stupid. I haven't put xml files into GreatEscape folder :-[ Sorry for that. Now it should be good.

New links are in first post.

Re: Great Escape - New LevelXDboy01/02/2009 - 17:21

löl. yupp. now it's fine. the level is fine, too^^
the idea and look of it is very goo-d^^

now for the constructive critisism:
i was a bit disapointed that the cola goo had no special abbilties, besides beeing pure sugar. (or did i miss something? *g*) ;)
a higher OCD count would make sense imo. i got 19 goos the first time i made it to the end. and i think there are ways to get a couple more.

and a few time bugs would be convenient... if you try those über-OCD tricks i mentioned... for just completing the level they would be overkill i guess... hmmm.

also there is something with the bomb, thats not quite right... (i don't say it out loud cause i
don't want to spoil it for anybody. :D )

overall it was very nice though^^

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/02/2009 - 17:46

You are better than me :D My highest score on this level is 16 goos :P Yeah... OCD should be higher. But let's wait for other players opinion.

And Goo Cola have special ability. They are sticky ;)

Re: Great Escape - New LevelXDboy01/02/2009 - 18:01

[quote author=My-Key link=topic=1212.msg8243#msg8243 date=1230936399]
And Goo Cola have special ability. They are sticky ;)

D'oh! of course... :D
edit:
about the bomb (Spoiler! mark to read): it lets the wall explode, if you just stick it on the fire pipe
for the other trick, just let the level go a bit without building anything eventually something will happen that gives you an idea... ;)

Last modified Fri, 01/02/2009 - 18:15 by XDboy
Re: Great Escape - New LevelSoultaker01/03/2009 - 07:15

Nice level! I do feel that the level good be improved in a few places, though.

I didn't like that the desk looks solid, but you can actually walk on it halfway through; the invisible level geometry doesn't really match the appeareance of the level there in my opinion. Furthermore, you can build some weird structures which go through the edge of the monitor screen and the edges of the computer (this is a common problem for these kind of structures).

Another thing is that I didn't get what the cola goos are for, although they look cool. Apparently they are sticky (I  just read that here) but you don't seem to need to use that property to finish the level (or get the OCD); I feel like you could have made better use of them, and give the level a bit more original game play.

Finally, I felt the background was a bit bland and the sides of the level (left side and the right side, where the pipe is) look unfinished. That's disappointing since the rest of the artwork looks great! Reminded me of the Micro Machines DOS games. :)

Last modified Sat, 01/03/2009 - 07:22 by Soultaker
Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/03/2009 - 07:45

I know that my level isn't perfect. I've put it on forum a bit incomplete, because my free time is ending and I have to do lots of things to school.

And about the desk I wanted to make impression of "3D" :P

Maby in the evening I'll do something with bomb, give Goo Cola bigger meaning and correct other things :)

Re: Great Escape - New Leveltair00101/03/2009 - 11:09

[quote author=My-Key link=topic=1212.msg8269#msg8269 date=1230986715]
And about the desk I wanted to make impression of "3D" :P

Didn't the end of Chapter 3 teach you anything about what happens when you go 3D?!?!  ;)

Nice level, I would agree with the criticisms made so far, maybe add something to the signpost about stickiness? Otherwise, nice first level! And up the OCD a bit, got it easily first time  ;D

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/04/2009 - 12:36

Yes, you can translate my level :)

After corections level is 2 times higher (and a bit wider) :D Now I have to find perfect number of goos and test it couple times :) It will be ready tommorow.

Re: Great Escape - New LevelKopa01/04/2009 - 17:13

Great level although the 3d for the desk is really odd and the lack of time bugs.  :)

I've just got 27.

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/05/2009 - 13:53

OK. Here is version 1.2 for testing. Write comments and your scores. Now OCD may be impossible to get (I'll change it to getable, when I'll get best scores :) )

http://rapidshare.com/files/180108096/GreatEscape.goomod
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qoyaoeg3jiy

P.S.
I don't know why but when I'm trying to add translation GooTool can't compile it. Anybody knows a reason?

Re: Great Escape - New LevelKopa01/05/2009 - 14:49

I got 33 on the 1.2 by moving the original black goos structure and going through the shelf.

The lack of time bugs is still annoying and the level is now quite long. However the design is great and the cola goo are very useful now. :)

Re: Great Escape - New LevelSoultaker01/05/2009 - 15:04

Nice! I like that you changed the level so you can make good use of the Cola goos!

What I liked less is that the level is pretty large now, so you spend quite a lot of time building structure which isn't all that interesting. Also, the previous complain tabout the level graphics not making it clear which parts of the room are blocked and which aren't, still stands. ;) Maybe you could just add shade or something to make the accessible parts of e.g. the dictionary and the desk look like they're part of the background?

Aside from the above, I would definitely say the level has improved! I scored 7 Goo-balls in my first try, but there is certainly room for improvement.

Re: Great Escape - New Leveldavidc01/05/2009 - 16:09

[quote author=My-Key link=topic=1212.msg8392#msg8392 date=1231181611]
P.S.
I don't know why but when I'm trying to add translation GooTool can't compile it. Anybody knows a reason?

You may need to make sure the file encoding is UTF-8 and that you're running the latest GooTool (0.9.7 or later).

-davidc

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/09/2009 - 15:31

New version. Links on first post.

Last modified Sat, 01/10/2009 - 06:52 by My-Key
Re: Great Escape - New LevelBioran2301/09/2009 - 18:43

Wow, an amazing level. Although it's not the hardest level around, it's certainly time-consuming. ;)

Great job!

Re: Great Escape - New LevelAlfie01/11/2009 - 05:00

Just a thought, but you should be able to detach the cola balls like the green ones, and replace the triangle of black balls with green ones since you just get an explosion of them when the wall goes.

Re: Great Escape - New Levelherminator01/17/2009 - 09:50

Well, it took me a while, but I got 130 :)

132 should be possible, but I lost two after the continue plunger was already there, so no more time bugs :(

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key01/17/2009 - 10:07

:o Very nice score :D
But I won't raise OCD. Imo 75 is enough ;)

Re: Great Escape - New LevelGoo_Master02/03/2009 - 02:32

This level is AWSOME! :o
It's definetly my nicest level to play! ;D
But I have a question.. How do you make the "cola goo"?? I mean, how do you make them all sticky?

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key02/03/2009 - 09:21

I've added this:

stickyattached="true"
  stickyunattached="false"
  stuckattachment="false"

to file balls.xml.xml (this file is before compilation).

To see how it looks you just have to open goomod with winrar (or something like this) and go to compile\res\balls\GooCola. There will be this file.

Re: Great Escape - New Levelxsonicx02/03/2009 - 16:22

congratulations very well improve your level ;)

Re: Great Escape - New Levelsam6602/18/2009 - 14:22

congratulations very good !

Re: Great Escape - New LevelMy-Key03/29/2009 - 03:22

Update to 1.31. Link on first post :)