Using accents in translations

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Using accents in translationstair00101/07/2009 - 14:29

Just a quick one - how do you use accents in the xml files within a goomod file? I'm currently trying to implement the French translations written for my levels but whenever I copy them into the xml (in a fr="[text]") and save and exit (using WordPad), when I try to open the xml in ie7 it says that there's a problem with the script.

Any ideas?

Re: Using accents in translationsNicosmos01/07/2009 - 14:33

Choose the UTF-8 charset to encode the file. ;)

Re: Using accents in translationsMy-Key01/07/2009 - 15:05

And you have to at first encode french text to UTF-8. I've converted txt file with only French translation using this program http://forge.vtiger.com/frs/?group_id=137&release_id=315 and after taht I've copied converted text into xml.

Re: Using accents in translationsdavidc01/07/2009 - 15:47

Indeed you need to use UTF-8. I haven't tested it, but in Notepad (not Wordpad) if you go File->Save As, you can change the encoding from ANSI to UTF-8. That should do the trick.

Re: Using accents in translationsMy-Key01/07/2009 - 15:51

I'm working on notepad and there is such option, but text must be in UTF-8. Notepad dosen't convert.

Re: Using accents in translationstair00101/07/2009 - 16:48

Wordpad converts quite nicely - open, click Save As, then select UTF-8 from the dropdown and save it over the existing file. Bish bash bosh.

Re: Using accents in translationsdreammen01/15/2009 - 02:41

I don't know how to do it? spanish to english translation

Re: Using accents in translationsdavidc01/15/2009 - 05:36

It was pointed out that Wordpad/Notepad add a Byte order mark to the beginning of the files they save, even if they're UTF-8. Java's XML parser doesn't recognise these and complains about "content not allowed in prolog".

GooTool 0.10 will be removing these automatically, for the moment hang tight or use an editor that doesn't save superfluous BOMs :-)

-davidc

Re: Using accents in translationsdavidc01/15/2009 - 18:56

GooTool 0.10.0 is out and should no longer have these problems with byte order marks. http://goofans.com/node/93