Signpost Confusion

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Signpost ConfusionGooGun01/10/2009 - 15:18

I managed to make a working goomod file today! But now, another mystery remains to be resolved... I don't have any idea how to set up signposts!

I can't edit the text.xml.bin since it's utter gibberish. Any idea on how I am meant to set those up? :S

Re: Signpost ConfusionFluffyWolf201/10/2009 - 18:21

Went and read up on the wiki for WOGEditor thing. This is what I found:

http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/wogedit/index.php?title=Game_level_level#signpost

Quote:
  [=14pt]signpost[/]

<signpost alpha="real" colorize="rgb_color" depth="real" image="string" name="string" x="real" y="real" rotation="real" scalex="real" scaley="real" text="text" particles?="fx">
Quote:

Defines a sign-post usually used to provide types or story telling.
attributes:
* alpha: transparency factory. Always set to 1.
* colorize: ? 3 values found (0,0,0), (128,128,128) & (255,255,255)
* depth: ? Z position in camera space. range in -800 to +100. Most frequent is -8.
* image: ? reference to an image resource. Most level have a unique image that is reused accross sign post.
* name: ? just an name for edition ?
* x: ? X position in camera space
* y: ? Y position in camera space 
* rotation: rotation around the Z axis in degress. Usually in range [-180,+180].
* scalex: ? widden factor? Usually in range [0.7,1.3]
* scaley: ? widden factor? Usually in range [0.7,1.3] 
* text: reference id for text painted on the sign-post.
* particles: ? Reference to particule effect applied to sign-post. Not present for most level. An handful have the value "signpostAlertMom"

Let me know if that helps at all.

Re: Signpost ConfusionXDboy01/10/2009 - 18:24

if you decrypt text.xml.bin with wogfile.exe or scanbinfile.exe than it's perfectly readable.
read the readme of WOG editor.

Re: Signpost ConfusionGooGun01/11/2009 - 08:38

Ok, I seemed to have managed to get it. However, I tried replacing the file with the xml by renaming it to xml.bin, but WOGEditor now no longer starts...

Re: Signpost ConfusionMy-Key01/11/2009 - 09:09

To add text to signpost you have to do goomod with only 2 files - text.xml.xsl (in folder merge\properties) and addin.xml. Into text.xml.xsl you have to put texts to signposts.

You can see how it looks in for example Jingle Balls.

Re: Signpost ConfusionGooGun01/11/2009 - 09:20

I know how to set the text, the problem is that I can't input it in my level... whenever I enter the string, WoGEditor just erases it...

How do I make it accept the string?

Re: Signpost ConfusionMy-Key01/11/2009 - 09:29

You have to do mod with texts and mod game first, because WoGeditor only sees texts whitch are in game.

Re: Signpost ConfusionGooGun01/11/2009 - 10:38

Good, I managed to get the signposts after installing the addin, and re-editing the file. Thanks for all the help! :)