Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo Editor

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo Editorflying sheep02/23/2009 - 16:30

the circumstances are these: i'm running WoG on linux and want to edit levels.

i'm not into python, the language the editor is written in, but my netbeans ide totally is.
running wogedit does not succeed though.

i've just replaced every occurrence of WorldOfGoo.exe with WorldOfGoo.bin, but i get errors en masse.

now i ask if anybody using linux has a clue about python and possesses a copy of world of goo, who can help me.

Last modified Mon, 02/23/2009 - 16:32 by flying sheep
Re: Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo Editorxanax02/23/2009 - 19:45

Have you tried using WOG editor with Wine ?
It might work..

Btw, another level editor is in development by Davidc (author of GooTool) and it's written in java.. so I guess porting it to Linux won't be very hard  ;D
But it's still a work in progress so.. wait and see.

Re: Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo EditorNicosmos02/24/2009 - 14:14

Hmh ... WoG Editor doesn't support WoG Linux version. So, a summary of possibilities on Linux :  ;D

:) You can use the editor for Linux* with the game for Windows under Wine.
:) You can use the editor for Windows under Wine with the game for Windows under Wine.
:( You can't use the editor for Linux* with the game for Linux.
:( You can't use the editor for Windows under Wine with the game for Linux.

* If you succeed to run WoG Editor natively on Linux, of course.  :P

So, you can install the Windows version of the game only in order to edit and create levels, or wait for the Davidc's editor, or wait for an updated version of WoG Editor. ;)

Re: Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo Editorflying sheep03/02/2009 - 06:17

i did not think the differences between he versions are this big.
WorldOfGoo.bin compiled for linux instead of the WorldOfGoo.exe for windows,
the files at other directories
and that's it?
seems it is more difficult than that.
but what is this Davidc-editor-thingy?

Re: Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo EditorXDboy03/02/2009 - 12:02

"but what is this Davidc-editor-thingy?"
well, it's a new level editor by davidc... duh! ;)
release date: tba.  ;)
http://goofans.com/node/107
read the comments.

Re: Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo EditorAlexBio03/04/2009 - 11:42

I tried to start the editor from source with the linux python interpreter, and it works pretty good (except some minor issues).
first of all you need the python interpreter (if you use debian or ubuntu, from terminal with root privileges: apt-get install python2.5) but i think it is pre-installed on your system (depending on which distribution you use).
you also need the Qt4 python bindings to run the editor properly (on debian/ubuntu: apt-get instal python-qt4, on debian it is in the testing/unstable repository, on ubuntu I don't know).
now your system is ready to start the editor. download and unzip the source archive (I tried with wogeditor-src-0.5.zip) then go to the src directory. before starting it you need to edit the "wogeditor.py" file: on line 476 you will find the string:"self.tr( 'WorldOfGoo.exe (WorldOfGoo.exe)' ) )", so you have to sobstitute both the WorldOfGoo.exe strings with WorldOfGoo.bin.
now from terminal (in the src directory yet) "python wogeditor.py".
that's all... more difficult said than done.
I don't have tested intensively it yet, i only tried to edit some levels and to start them... it worked.

P.S. sorry for my awful english... :(

Re: Cross-OS-Support for World of Goo Editorflying sheep03/05/2009 - 06:02

no way, i’m not able to run it.
everything of python is installed, but when i load a level it says
Warning: invalid image reference: "('IMAGE_SCENE_BURNINGMAN_BLOCKHEAD',)"<br />Warning: invalid image reference: "('IMAGE_SCENE_BURNINGMAN_EYER',)"    <br />Warning: invalid image reference: "('IMAGE_SCENE_BURNINGMAN_EYEL',)"    <br />Traceback (most recent call last):                                      <br />  File "wogeditor.py", line 498, in editLevel                                                                                                              <br />    self.open_level_view_by_name( level_name )                                                                                                              <br />  File "wogeditor.py", line 511, in open_level_view_by_name                                                                                                <br />    self._addLevelGraphicView( level_world )                                                                                                                <br />  File "wogeditor.py", line 515, in _addLevelGraphicView                                                                                                    <br />    level_view = levelview.LevelGraphicView( level_world, self.view_actions )                                                                              <br />  File "/home/flyingsheep/bin/wogeditor/src/levelview.py", line 922, in __init__                                                                            <br />    self.refreshFromModel()<br />  File "/home/flyingsheep/bin/wogeditor/src/levelview.py", line 1182, in refreshFromModel<br />    self._on_selection_change( self.__world.selected_elements, set(), set() )<br />  File "/home/flyingsheep/bin/wogeditor/src/levelview.py", line 1126, in _on_selection_change<br />    if element in selection:<br />TypeError: list objects are unhashable