russian/ukrainian localization

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
russian/ukrainian localizationqmax01/06/2010 - 05:56

hi.

On Maks wiki I see that all treanslations for ru/ua are ready.

SUDDENLY, I'm working on cyrillic fonts for the game.
This is almost my first work on ttf fonts.
Are there any guidelines?

What are further steps for localization?
(is there any howto/faq about it?)
What about those images?

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationGMMan01/06/2010 - 14:26

I don't think WoG use TTF fonts. You'll need to create a PopCap font, which consists of an image and some definition files.

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationSoultaker01/07/2010 - 12:34

That's true, but you can use PopCap's tool to generate the bitmaps from a TTF file, so extending the TTF font is not a bad start, except that I'm not sure whether the PopCap tool can apply all the effects that are required to mimick the standard game fonts (with bevelled edges and what not).

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationqmax01/07/2010 - 23:05

What i see in the game are "Earths Mightiest" and "Twentieth Century Condensed" fonts.
In many places, like popup island/level names, level completion stats, etc -
fonts are used almost without any effects.

Tricky thing are ingame images.
They are in fact created using the same fonts.

What is that PopCap font and tool?

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationqmax01/07/2010 - 23:17

I've investigated
http://2dboy.com/MATERIALS/localisation/

There're actually 23 photoshop images to create.

Also,
TTF fonts found both at 2dboy.com and hell.student.utwente.nl have alot of bugs:
self-intersecting outlines, wrong path direction, and alot of wrong control points.
Are they original fonts? Or are they distorted by someone modification?

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationSoultaker01/08/2010 - 09:13

I think the ones I posted on the wiki were just the ones that game with Microsoft Word or some such, or maybe I found them by Googling. Cancel that, I probably got them from 2D Boy.

I edited them with FontForge, and I also remember it complaining about some of the things you mention, but it seemed to be able to open the font just fine. I would expect it to be able to fix the errors as well. Do you run into any particular problems? If so, is that with the original fonts, the edited fonts, or both?

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationGMMan01/08/2010 - 23:50

Hey, where do everyone get those random links to 2D Boy stuff? Someone should compile a list.

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationqmax01/09/2010 - 02:00

@Soultaker
It is indeed FontForge reporting errors.
in fonts from d2boy.com
however, only in "Earths Mightiest"
and "20th century" contains some bogus references (i guess someone copied reference to another reference)

It is possible to save font with all those errors.
But glyph modification is painfull, e.g. when straight line or arc contains a bunch looped points (letter 'F' or 'B')
It's quite simple to fix those errors, but not automatically.

Does photoshop render such fonts fine (with all those effects)?
(i dont have PShop to check myself)

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationSoultaker01/10/2010 - 17:52

Hmm, FontForge seems to be able to edit these fonts just fine over here.

I don't know if PhotoShop has trouble rendering these fonts or not, but should we care? As long as we can generate the appropriate bitmap fonts, isn't everything fine?

Re: russian/ukrainian localizationDS-DNA02/25/2010 - 07:18

Я очень надеюсь на официальную русскую локализацию, так как неофициальная не очень качес :)твенная.