Problems with custom wiki-downloaded text.xml.bin on Linux

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
Problems with custom wiki-downloaded text.xml.bin on LinuxRuig09/07/2010 - 03:15

Hello, people! I recently discovered World of Goo and what can I say... It's amazing!

The fact is that I translated the game to my language (catalan) with some collaboration of other people on the community wiki and now I wanted to test it. With Windows I had no problem, the game runs perfectly. But the important issue comes when I play the game under Linux (in this case, Ubuntu 10.04)... :'(

Using the default text.xml.bin there's no problem. But when I replace it with the new version downloaded from the wiki the game crashes at the end of any level (when I click the "Continue" button). It happens with every language, with catalan included or excluded from the file. I checked it on different computers running Linux so... what happens with that file?  ???

Thanks for your time. Ask for any logs or information you want and I'll try to provide it!

Re: Problems with custom wiki-downloaded text.xml.bin on LinuxSoultaker09/07/2010 - 19:41

Huh, you're right! I think the last version of the game broke it. I have a hunch what causes it too, but I'll have to investigate. I'll get back to you ASAP! update: Oh well, I couldn't sleep anyway, so I fixed the problem on the wiki. Thanks for the bug report! This was probably broken on Linux since version 1.41 and I may never have noticed it if you hadn't pointed out it was broken.

I also used the opportunity to update the list of complete languages in the download script. It looks like a couple new ones have been added since I last updated that. A big thanks to the various translators that helped make the game available to everyone, whoever you are!

Long story short: downloaded translations should work again. Let me know if you're still having problems!

Last modified Tue, 09/07/2010 - 20:21 by Soultaker
Re: Problems with custom wiki-downloaded text.xml.bin on LinuxRuig09/08/2010 - 02:17

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=3191.msg18436#msg18436 date=1283906485]
Huh, you're right! I think the last version of the game broke it. I have a hunch what causes it too, but I'll have to investigate. I'll get back to you ASAP! update: Oh well, I couldn't sleep anyway, so I fixed the problem on the wiki. Thanks for the bug report! This was probably broken on Linux since version 1.41 and I may never have noticed it if you hadn't pointed out it was broken.

I also used the opportunity to update the list of complete languages in the download script. It looks like a couple new ones have been added since I last updated that. A big thanks to the various translators that helped make the game available to everyone, whoever you are!

Long story short: downloaded translations should work again. Let me know if you're still having problems!

Ok, thank you very much! ^^

I'll try it now. And thanks for including Catalan on the list!

Re: Problems with custom wiki-downloaded text.xml.bin on LinuxRuig09/08/2010 - 03:33

Ok, confirmed. It works perfectly on my computer!

Thanks Soultaker.

BTW, I also translated the images on http://2dboy.com/MATERIALS/localisation/

I suppose the answer will be NO, but... Is there any location to upload them for the new community translations? If not don't worry, I have my plans to distribute them, but just in case there was any centralised place to allocate them... I wanted to know that.  :)

Re: Problems with custom wiki-downloaded text.xml.bin on LinuxSoultaker09/08/2010 - 09:15

Not really, no. It would be nice if there was a central place for custom fonts and images, but right now there isn't, so if you want to distribute a complete translation package with texts and images, you're on your own.

You could consider distributing it as a Goomod file and upload it to goofans.com. In any case a link on the translation wiki to the final package would be appreciated. :)

Re: Problems with custom wiki-downloaded text.xml.bin on LinuxRuig09/08/2010 - 14:36

Ok, thanks again! I'll take in care your suggestions, Soultaker!  :P