tower viewer tool

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
tower viewer toolkyle10/27/2008 - 17:43

So impressed with this, from the EU wonder duo. I wonder if we could hook it up to the leaderboards in some way?

http://hell.student.utwente.nl/~maks/wog/

Re: tower viewer toolMarius10/27/2008 - 18:50

Automatic picture generation, without user intervention, is probably hard to do, since it would require sending the tower data together with the tower height on every send when someone is playing Goo Corp. Apart from the decreased upload frequency for the player (which would suck), Soultaker's server can't generate pictures fast enough for that.

As for linking the leaderboard profile with Soultaker's profile site; the url is http://hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/[hash of the player ID]/
Since you have the player ID, you can hash it to make a link to Soultaker's site from the leaderboard player profile.

Only point is, it wouldn't work if the player hasn't uploaded his profile data to Soultaker's site yet. Perhaps Soultaker can replace the 404 this would give with a page that directs the user to the upload location, or something of the sorts.

Re: tower viewer toolmartinarcand110/28/2008 - 00:36

i'd suggest giving the guy a subdomain, not many people trust tinyurls :P

and since there are so many out there it'd be nice to have a nice clean one

Re: tower viewer toolMarius10/28/2008 - 03:53

My sig is tiny-url'd because otherwise it doesn't fit in my sig. If you click it, you won't have done anything yet and you can view the url yourself ( hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/ ). But a 2dboy/worldofgoo subdomain would indeed increase the trustworthyness greatly.

Re: tower viewer toolSqrl10/28/2008 - 09:09

^^ That and if you're worried about clicking on something malicious you can just get noscript and flashblock or similar products.  I don't know of any browser-targeted attacks that can get around disabled flash and scripting...I'm sure it's possible but it still removes about 99.99% of issues and you can scope out a site before you decide to white-list it (I rarely permanently list anything).

@topic,

This thing is awesome!  It definitely needs to be incorporated into the leaderboards!

Re: tower viewer toolmartinarcand110/28/2008 - 10:55

I use IE, and will continue using IE :D

Tinyurls = Rick Roll, IMO, that's why :D

Re: tower viewer toolSoultaker10/28/2008 - 12:13

For tinyurl, there's always the preview function. ;)
Anyway, I put the unshortened URL in my profile, and I also wanted to add that the canonical name should be:
  http://hell.student.utwente.nl/wog/

Re: tower viewer toolMarius10/28/2008 - 13:18

I find it highly interesting how my building style looks very different from the rest.

I also noticed that an hour after creating the top 10, Jeff uploaded a tower which is slightly higher than mine... Although on the leaderboard his tower apparently crashed again.

I'll beat his score some time soon, but I'm a bit busy at the moment with my studies...

Edit: And now he uploaded one which is 2 meters higher. Congrats Jeff :) But I'll get you when I have more time :P

Last modified Tue, 10/28/2008 - 13:21 by Marius
Re: tower viewer toolWishbone10/28/2008 - 17:22

Hehe, I actually got on the top 10, but due to the very infrequent updates, I never actually appeared on the list :'(

Re: tower viewer toolMarius10/28/2008 - 17:25

Actually, the updates aren't very infrequent. I estimate them to be around every second, at least, that's my experience just now.

The ingame height display, though, only updates every 30 seconds.

Re: tower viewer toolWishbone10/28/2008 - 18:05

[quote author=Marius link=topic=635.msg4613#msg4613 date=1225232737]
Actually, the updates aren't very infrequent. I estimate them to be around every second, at least, that's my experience just now.

Well, when I uploaded my data, it had been more than 3 hours since the last update. When I checked it again a few hours later, someone else had beaten me.

Re: tower viewer toolSoultaker10/28/2008 - 18:14

Hmm, on my site, you mean? The top ten there was a bit experimental (let's call it "beta"), but it should update automatically every four hours now. (Marius was just in time to upload his now-collapsed 40m tall tower.)

Re: tower viewer toolMarius10/28/2008 - 18:22

Which I wouldn't have let collapse if the damn leaderboard had updated in time! It was over 40 for over a second! Damnit! I take this back:

[quote author=Marius link=topic=635.msg4613#msg4613 date=1225232737]Actually, the updates aren't very infrequent. I estimate them to be around every second

Last modified Tue, 10/28/2008 - 19:00 by Marius
Re: tower viewer toolNic Freed10/30/2008 - 19:10

this is torture, they give the worst instructions on how to find your file, can somebody plz help me!!!!???

Re: tower viewer toolMarius10/31/2008 - 02:09

[quote author=Nic Freed link=topic=635.msg4724#msg4724 date=1225411811]this is torture, they give the worst instructions on how to find your file, can somebody plz help me!!!!???Are you on windows XP? If so, copy the bit below "On Microsoft Windows XP". If not, copy the bit below "On Microsoft Vista"

Now, click choose file

Paste what you copied in the box

Press enter

Click pers2.dat

Click Open

Click Upload

That wasn't so hard...

Re: tower viewer toolkevinvandijk12311/01/2008 - 11:15

wow,handy site that is  :o but i have just one question about it (i hope its in the right area,and that im asking it in a good way....if not,im sorry)....how does the updating work?

because i had made a tower a while back,and earned a few extra goo-balls,but nothing changed on my profile.

so can someone explain to me how that works?

Re: tower viewer toolSoultaker11/01/2008 - 11:27

Well, I seem to have two versions of your profile on file. The second one has 50 more minutes of play time registered, a slightly larger goo tower, and some improved scores (e.g. OCD on MOM's Computer). Is there anything specific that you think is missing?

(By the way, you can always try uploading again; if the profile was already there nothing changes.)

Re: tower viewer toolkevinvandijk12311/01/2008 - 11:44

well,my tower shrank 5 meters (thanks to a wrong-placed Goo-ball,and an appetite for pizza)except for that,i dont think anything is missing (except for another OCD perhaps)...
ill follow your tip,and ill try to upload it again,hopefully it will work. :-\

*edit*: it worked,so thanks for the tip! (i cant believe it was actually that easy though  :))

Last modified Sat, 11/01/2008 - 11:52 by kevinvandijk123