quick tip - remove 2dboy loading animation

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
quick tip - remove 2dboy loading animationltworek10/28/2008 - 10:54

Since I need to be constantly restarting the game the 2dboy loading animation was making me impatient, so I decided to remove it, turns out all you need to do is rename it (its in /res/movie/2dboyLogo).  Saves you about 5-10 seconds on loading and ya I still remember who made this wonderful little game.

On a side note, has anyone been successful in adding a new map to the game?  I'v managed to get mine to show up and have its own name and description but it crashes the game while it's starting.  I'm pretty sure iv renamed and edited all the proper files but it seems that i'm missing something.

Re: quick tip - remove 2dboy loading animationSoultaker10/28/2008 - 12:12

I succesfully did this during the beta; haven't really tried it since, but it probably still works.

It's true that small errors easily cause crashes. One thing to look out for is that the id of the Resources element in the resrc file is significant: it must be set to scene_XXX where XXX is the level id (same as the directory). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you get crashes by referencing undeclared resources and stuff like that.

By the way: if you add levels, be sure to name them different than the existing levels, to prevent submitting invalid scores to the online score board. You can add those levels to one of the existing islands to be able to select them. If I have time to spare (probably not until the weekend) I'll see if I can build at least a level launcher so such hacks aren't necessary anymore.

Re: quick tip - remove 2dboy loading animationltworek10/28/2008 - 12:31

Ya I bet it's my rc file, I figured I could leave the paths to point at the old level dir (copied going up).  I'm at work so I cant really check.

As for a level launcher, I was thinking about writing this too.  Either by finding the load procedure in the exe and injecting a dll that calls it with a map name after the game is loaded.  Or... the easier way (for me) would be to simply write a program that upon being launched scans a certain /mods or /maps directory and then creates a new island and patches any property files/etc then starts the game.

This new island would just be button after button of all the maps in said directory.  I'm interested in writing more tools for the game (mainly as a excuse to learn c#, iv been programming in various languages for about 10 years now and I'm fascinated with c# atm).  So if you are going to write a loader of some sorts let me know so we don't step on each others feet.

I've also started working on a map editor, but seeing as i'm kinda a noob to c# its going a lil slow.  Perhaps we should start a community open source project since kyle stated they will not be releasing a official editor.  Don't really care what language it in, though I do propose c#, heh.

YAY!! Thanxthemacmeister10/30/2008 - 05:24

Thanks a heap Itworek - I am a very casual gamer who plays games in 10min bursts, and this has saved me a heap of waiting.

I didn't originally play it in 10min bursts, but now I have reached the "end", I can only handle 10min of OCD chasing at a time.

;D

Re: quick tip - remove 2dboy loading animationWill11/01/2008 - 14:31

why would you want to remove the 2D boy loading logo.
It has good amazing animation amazing graphics!
who would want to remove it, all it does is remove some of the quality of the game.

good tip though.