World of Goo portable?

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
World of Goo portable?Zeitgeist11/02/2008 - 09:10

Hello there,

I have just purchased via Paypal and I am very glad I did. 2D BOY, you did a fantastic job on this game. All the fun for the small amount of money. Very well done!

But I am curious, if it is possible to make WoG completely run off an USB-Stick. As I am on Vista x64 on my desktop, I was told to find the savegame at C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo, which location, from my understanding, would prevent the game to work off and save properly to an USB-Stick. But as I would like to play WoG at any time and whereever I am and as I often just carry a stick with me, I would really appreciate a way to run WoG just from a simple folder on a stick.

So, my question is, if there is a way or if it is planned to implement a way to do so?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards

Re: World of Goo portable?Wishbone11/02/2008 - 18:16

It might work with a U3 stick, I suppose, but I really don't know. It's just a suggestion.

Re: World of Goo portable?tair00111/03/2008 - 15:51

Unlikely I'm afraid, I have a U3 stick...all U3 apps only work because all the required files are stored on the stick, so whilst you could install to the stick you would still be left with your pers2.dat file on your HDD - manually synching that with the stick would be an absolute pain in the arse unless you get a portable synchronisation app as well...

...ok then [eating own words], possible, but not really feasible!

Re: World of Goo portable?Marius11/03/2008 - 17:52

A synchronizing script for pers2.dat is fairly trivial, actually, if you use something like %USERPROFILE% in your pathnames...

Re: World of Goo portable?Nicosmos11/04/2008 - 03:18

If it's a xml(.bin) file which makes the link to pers2.dat, it's quite easy to install the game on a stick and change the location of the profile. :)
If it's the binary file which makes the links, it's impossible without modifying sourcecode and recompile. :-\

Re: World of Goo portable?Daid11/04/2008 - 04:33

[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=678.msg5084#msg5084 date=1225786732]If it's the binary file which makes the links, it's impossible without modifying sourcecode and recompile. :-\Tell that to the [c/h]ackers ;) if you know a bit of assembly and got the right tools it is possible.

Re: World of Goo portable?Nicosmos11/04/2008 - 06:10

[quote author=Daid link=topic=678.msg5088#msg5088 date=1225791238]
[quote author=Nicosmos link=topic=678.msg5084#msg5084 date=1225786732]If it's the binary file which makes the links, it's impossible without modifying sourcecode and recompile. :-\Tell that to the [c/h]ackers ;) if you know a bit of assembly and got the right tools it is possible.

... impossible easily ;D

Re: World of Goo portable?Zeitgeist11/04/2008 - 06:12

Thanks for all the responses, but this could be much more easy, if the savefiles would be natively stored in the game folder, as it appears that no other files are stored anywhere else or am I missing something here?

Maybe the boys are willing to change the location where the saves are stored to make a portable WoG possible. ;-)

Best Regards

Re: World of Goo portable?Aufklaerer11/04/2008 - 09:49

Or just implement some kind of command line to specify the path to the save file manually - that would be great!

Re: World of Goo portable?fabien12/28/2008 - 10:55

Here's my solution for users to make the game portable:

1. Launch the installer and choose your portable drive as the installation location.
After this step, you should have a directory [tt]WorldOfGoo[/tt] at the root of your drive.

2. Launch notepad and copy/paste the following:
<br />set userprofile=%cd%<br />set path=%path%;%cd%WorldOfGoo<br />cd WorldOfGoo<br />WorldOfGoo.exe<br />

3. Save as 'LaunchWorldOfGoo.bat' directly at the root of your drive.
From now, you just need to double-click on this file to launch the game. Your settings will be saved on your portable drive.

4. If you want to use your previous settings, copy the directory [tt]c:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy[/tt] at the root of your portable drive.
Note that [tt]c:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings[/tt] is a hidden folder. So to go to that folder you can either select the option in explorer to display hidden file then browse to the folder ; or type [tt]c:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings[/tt] in the adress bar of your explorer.
Of course you need to replace [tt]<user name>[/tt] by your real user name.

5. If you want Windows to automatically suggest to launch the game when you plug your drive, launch notepad and copy/paste the following:
<br />[Autorun]<br />Open=LaunchWorldOfGoo.bat<br />Icon=WorldOfGoo\WorldOfGoo.exe<br />Title=WorldOfGoo<br />Action=Launch WorldOfGoo<br />Shell=Shell00<br />Shell\Shell00=Launch WorldOfGoo<br />Shell\Shell00\Command=LaunchWorldOfGoo.bat<br />

6. Save as autorun.inf directly at the root of your portable drive.
You can now make hidden all the previous files and folders of your portable drive (not required, just for a neat installation). All you need to launch the game is to plug your drive, wait the Windows popup then hit enter. You can also double-click on the drive in the explorer. To browse in your drive with explorer, you have to click on the disk in the left tree of explorer (click on the button 'Folders' in the toolbar if it's not visible).

Re: World of Goo portable?madaco01/09/2009 - 22:34

before i read the most recent post i was going to comment saying
"well if world of goo can boot in linux, then you could put linux on a jumpdrive, install world of goo on your pendrive linux, and then it might work",but the notepad editing sounds much easier!

Re: World of Goo portable?jmleleven05/20/2009 - 19:05

One prob: I can't save the file as a .bat file. It just says the file name is "LaunchWorldOfGoo.bat.txt" .

Re: World of Goo portable?davidc05/21/2009 - 14:17

[quote author=jmleleven link=topic=678.msg12563#msg12563 date=1242864332]
One prob: I can't save the file as a .bat file. It just says the file name is "LaunchWorldOfGoo.bat.txt" .

In the Save dialog, put double quotes around the filename. That will prevent it adding ".txt" to the end automatically.

Re: World of Goo portable?Nekudotayim05/21/2009 - 19:04

[quote author=fabien link=topic=678.msg7923#msg7923 date=1230479721]

<br />set userprofile=%cd%<br />set path=%path%;%cd%WorldOfGoo<br />cd WorldOfGoo<br />WorldOfGoo.exe<br />

This code doesn't seem to be working for me. I was playing before running it from here, then I tried to copy the .dat file to my pen drive and play and it didn't work.

What was supposed to be there in that "set path=" part?

Re: World of Goo portable?jmleleven05/24/2009 - 12:55

Well, first of all, I found out that if you DONT (yet) put the profile on the drive, run WoG, and save a new profile, youll see a file named "2D Boy" on your drive. follow through, and you'll find the .dat file. Delete this, then copy-paste youre previous profile, (be sure to copy, so you'll have a back-up sort of) and run the .bat file!

BTW: The .bat file code is right. Don't mess with it.

Re: World of Goo portable?washington67807/08/2009 - 03:36

Cheers and we look forward to your Forum Favourites selections!

pret auto

Re: World of Goo portable?BigBonsai07/30/2009 - 16:02

[quote author=fabien link=topic=678.msg7923#msg7923 date=1230479721]
2. Launch notepad and copy/paste the following:
Hello there,

I have been using this solution for quite some time now. Unfortunately it only seems to work on an XP Machine. Since I have Vista, the userprofile isa not recognised. The game always prompts me for a new profile name (ergo: it doesn't find the pers2.dat on the C Drive - which is natural since I have it on my USB Stick).

Is there a workaround or a known issue for Vista (SP2 btw)?

Thanks for your help, folks. I a, reading in this forum already since months. Love it. :)

BiB

Re: World of Goo portable?davidc07/31/2009 - 21:07

Per BigBonsai's request, GooTool can now store its preference in a file (use [tt]-preferences <filename>[/tt] on the command line). From there, now that GooTool is working portably, you can just backup/restore your profile from goofans.com to move it around quickly.

Discussion on this is here: http://goofans.com/forum/gootool/suggestions-and-bug-reports/433

Re: World of Goo portable?BigBonsai08/01/2009 - 08:45

Isn't he great? :D

Unfortunately I couldn't find a solution to the Vista issue yet...

BiB

Re: World of Goo portable?GMMan11/12/2009 - 13:30

Mini-announcement: I'm currently working on a launcher for World of Goo. It's around 20% complete, though not tested. Don't get too excited, because I usually don't get projects done. But it should be released in the coming month or so, hopefully this week.

Re: World of Goo portable?BigBonsai11/20/2009 - 19:04

Are you saying this will make WoG portable? Sound delicious! :)

BiB

Re: World of Goo portable?GMMan11/28/2009 - 15:39

I've got some news: I am now done the copying module (it finds and copies World of Goo to the portable installation), which I think is about 40% of the launcher. I'm hoping for a release today, but of course I haven't got too much else planned out, so it'll be a long day.

Re: World of Goo portable?GMMan11/29/2009 - 13:09

World of Goo Portable is now done. See this thread for download info: http://2dboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2336.0.html

Re: World of Goo portable?AldenteVonTino11/30/2009 - 11:12

Well I was thinking that 'portable' had something to do with a hand-held version! I was going to start looking for the nearest store to buy one! Silly me!
Wish I had a stick (or phone) to try this on though...
-AVT