WOG Editor 0.2 is out

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
WOG Editor 0.2 is outzark9211/02/2008 - 11:14

Well, finally reached the first milestone. You can not edit level yet, but you get a fairly good visualization (scene layer, collision zones, force fields...)

Check out the following page for more info:
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/wogedit/index.php?title=WOG_Editor_overview

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outMacatttack11/02/2008 - 11:38

Yes, so cool!!!  ;D

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outSoultaker11/02/2008 - 12:19

Very nice! I was working on a little prototype myself, also with Qt, but written in C++. I'm now contemplating on whether or not I want to continue work on that, or contribute to your editor instead (or, third option, not spend my time on WoG at all, as I do have other stuff to do).

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outMacatttack11/02/2008 - 12:29

wait, how do I change anything? I can't seem to drag objects around or enter in text coordinates.  :(

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outSoultaker11/02/2008 - 12:31

Obviously, it is a work in progress:
[quote author=zark92 link=topic=681.msg4948#msg4948 date=1225642465]
You can not edit level yet, but you get a fairly good visualization (scene layer, collision zones, force fields...)

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outzark9211/02/2008 - 17:59

[quote author=Soultaker link=topic=681.msg4953#msg4953 date=1225646380]
Very nice! I was working on a little prototype myself, also with Qt, but written in C++. I'm now contemplating on whether or not I want to continue work on that, or contribute to your editor instead (or, third option, not spend my time on WoG at all, as I do have other stuff to do).

As much as I love C++, this little project with PyQt as proved me that python + PyQt is really well suited for this kind of job. You get really faster dev/test cycle. :)

That being said, I'm spending most of my time hunting down how to use Qt4 to do what I want in the Qt doc (my last Qt dev were back when Qt 2.0 was the hot stuff) ::), and the model/view framework is a lot to learn...

Anyway if you have experience with Qt, you'll feel right at home.

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outzark9211/02/2008 - 18:05

[quote author=Macatttack link=topic=681.msg4955#msg4955 date=1225646954]
wait, how do I change anything? I can't seem to drag objects around or enter in text coordinates.  :(

Editing capability is the next item on the roadmap. Though I don't think it will be possible to drag object around (yet).

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outTijmen00711/03/2008 - 11:41

Omg  :o ! Awsomeness  :o ! Amazingly done guys, can't wait till editing will be available  ;D ;D

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outRMJ11/04/2008 - 11:02

Very Awesome indeed :) really hope people can get togther and work on one to make it really good :) someday this will give this game amazing extented life, why some game companies dont wanna offer the extra time making this i will never know. And somepoint  in the future being able to make full campaigns or just random levels to share will be very nice :)

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outron11/05/2008 - 03:37

we just uploaded an updated version of the installer which includes the ability to start up the game in any level.  you can download and install this over the existing installation using the same download link.  i thought those of you interested in the level editor would find this a useful feature.  to use this feature simply add the level id to the command line, like so:  WorldOfGoo.exe GoingUp.

the level id should be one of the directory names in the ./res/levels directory.  it can be one of the existing levels, or a totally new one, once those start becoming available

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outSoultaker11/05/2008 - 08:42

[quote author=ron link=topic=681.msg5161#msg5161 date=1225874260]
we just uploaded an updated version of the installer which includes the ability to start up the game in any level.
Great news! Does this version also work with unencrypted level files as you mentioned before, or has that feature been scrapped?

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outDillxn11/05/2008 - 21:20

we just uploaded an updated version of the installer which includes the ability to start up the game in any level.  you can download and install this over the existing installation using the same download link.  i thought those of you interested in the level editor would find this a useful feature.  to use this feature simply add the level id to the command line, like so:  WorldOfGoo.exe GoingUp.

the level id should be one of the directory names in the ./res/levels directory.  it can be one of the existing levels, or a totally new one, once those start becoming available

So, what ws used to actually make the levels in the game?

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outron11/05/2008 - 21:26

it doesn't yet work with unencrypted files, we'll have that soon, it'll take a bit of work, but we wanted to get this change out as quickly as possible since it significantly speeds up the level development/test cycle.

we used photoshop as the level editor.  kyle designed the levels in photoshop and wrote an export script that writes them into our *.resrc/*.scene/*.level format.  it's pretty difficult to use and not really suitable for public consumption.

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outDaid11/06/2008 - 16:44

I'm currently using it as a viewer while editing the xml files. And because of that I noticed the following things:
-You cannot 'reopen' a level.
-It would be very useful to add the "name" or "id" to the tree on the right next to the type. Because with a hole bunch of scenelayers on top of eachother, it's hard to select them and find them.

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outzark9211/07/2008 - 06:34

we just uploaded an updated version of the installer which includes the ability to start up the game in any level.  you can download and install this over the existing installation using the same download link.

Works like a charm :). Added to "play selected level" action to the editor. Thanks for making this available.

Long term, it would be nice to be able to play a custom island too, but we are not there yet  ;)

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outzark9211/07/2008 - 06:42

[quote author=Daid link=topic=681.msg5303#msg5303 date=1226007885]
-You cannot 'reopen' a level.
-It would be very useful to add the "name" or "id" to the tree on the right next to the type. Because with a hole bunch of scenelayers on top of eachother, it's hard to select them and find them.

I fixed the 'reopen' level issue (there was actually two bugs, when switch MDI windows, and when reopening the level).
I have also though it would be nice to have the name or id. Though, the real workflow fix is to have a menu to select the item when there is multiple items were the user clicked. Also, we should add filters latter on (show/hide scene, physic...)

Re: WOG Editor 0.2 is outmartinstatic11/07/2008 - 20:43

w00ty w00t; This app is pretty neat, happy to see things like it being worked on. :)

PS. First post, hello world!