WoG path and version

You are viewing a static copy of the old 2DBoy forum, which closed in 2010. It is preserved here for historical interest, but it is not possible to reply to topics. For more recent discussion about World of Goo, visit our new forum.
WoG path and versiondavidc11/03/2008 - 14:27

Is there any way to find out the currently installed location of WoG? I can't find any registry entries, so at the moment I'm just trying some standard locations and popping up a file chooser if it can't be found.

Also is there a version number available anywhere at all? I can't find anything on the exe properties or in any obvious file. Please add one somewhere if there isn't one already, even if it's just a version.txt (in fact that would be nicest for me!)

I've written a tool to install plugins (mods/levels) by stitching together existing .bin files with plugin-supplied xml. I do this by storing the "2dboy original" files with a .bak extension, and using these to regenerate working files whenever plugins are changed.

However if a new version comes out, it'll overwrite the generated files. My code won't notice and will continue to assume the old ".bak" files are the "2dboy originals", thus losing any updates.

So ideally I'd like to save these files as ".bak.229", and if a new version comes out, I can detect this and copy the working file to ".bak.230" as the new "2dboy original".

At the moment I'm debating using the mtime of the .exe to detect changes, but I'd rather use a version number as that'll be more reliable.

David

Re: WoG path and versionDaid11/04/2008 - 04:35

If you cannot find anything then you could make an MD5 sum or some other hash of the executable, which should change every version I guess.

Re: WoG path and versiondavidc11/04/2008 - 07:04

Hm yes I might use that for now for version-changed detection. In future though I'd like to be able to do numeric comparison, which would be easiest if a version number is added.

e.g. let's say 2dboy release a new version that supports modding better. Then if version >= 6.6.5, extract .goomod files to their mod support directory rather than the current decrypt/merge/encrypt method.

Re: WoG path and versiondavidc11/04/2008 - 07:08

[quote author=davidc link=topic=695.msg5044#msg5044 date=1225740429]
at the moment I'm just trying some standard locations and popping up a file chooser if it can't be found.

Can someone with the Steam version please let me know the location of WorldOfGoo.exe? Something like %ProgramFiles%\Steam\SteamApps\World Of Goo\WorldOfGoo.exe I'm guessing.

Can you check also that "res" and "properties" directories are in the same directory as WorldOfGoo.exe?